The temperature change between Sunday and Monday was pretty dramatic—I guess a cold front came through. We went from hot & muggy summer to cool fall overnight, and it’s stayed cool ever since. The mornings are quite chilly, but the days still get into the 80’s, so it’s actually very pleasant, just strange to have it feeling like fall so soon! I’ve had windows open most of the week to let in the fresh air—I’ve been loving it!
Scott started Seminary on Monday which means that Frank and I are getting up earlier than we were. Unfortunately, Scott doesn’t have a built-in ride like last year (she graduated from high school). The other 3 families with Seminary kids who live near us have young drivers—they can take themselves and siblings, but no non-family members—so it looks like we’ll be on our own most of the time, at least for the beginning half of the year. Frank is going to be able to drive Scott most Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but I have been getting up every morning anyway because I want my body to get used to getting up that early. It’s actually nice in a way, because I have precious quiet time to pray and study my scriptures! It has helped that overall I’ve been sleeping much better the last few months. (Without Melatonin, even—it quit working after the first 60 days.) Seth had one bad night this week, so that day I didn’t get up early but the rest of the time I’ve mostly been waking up on my own shortly before 5:00 am. We’ll see if I can keep it up for a year!
On Fridays, we are picking up another girl—she lives with her non-member mom who is not, I gather, feeling motivated to get her daughter to Seminary herself. Other ward members pick her up the other days. She doesn’t live far from us, but it is actually out of our way to pick her up (we have to go the opposite direction from the church) but we are glad to help her out, of course! My biggest concern with driving Scott is that Seth will wake up while I’m gone. I always wake up Jared to let him know I’m leaving, but he falls back asleep and I’m not convinced that he would actually wake up if Seth were crying. Frank stays at the church when he takes Scott (I’m at home if Seth wakes up) but on the days I drive, I am going to have to make two trips—one to the church, and one from the church to the school. Rather inconvenient, but there’s not much I can do about it. Hopefully everything will work out ok.
My friend Marci is having “craft night” at her house every Tuesday evening, so I went over there this Tuesday and worked on Seth’s quiet book. I bought some lighter Pellon, the next heaviest I could find at the store, but this kind is probably not heavy enough. I’m going to experiment to see if I can get it to work. Needless to say, though, the problems are slowing me down. I’m still working on last week’s 2nd page; I haven’t even started on the 2 pages I wanted to do this week! I’m going to persevere, though.
Frank was working from home Wednesday, so he took me on a date for lunch (not a true date—Seth was with us!). We went to Red Lobster—haven’t been there in years. It wasn’t until after we got there that we realized Seth had the perfect shirt on—it had a picture of a lobster on it and said “little lobster catcher”. The waitress was really impressed! The food is really yummy and they give you a lot of it, but I’d forgotten that it’s on the expensive side. We had a coupon that helped, though.
The rest of the week has been busy with all the usual work to do, as well as the usual list of Primary-related items. I have Sharing Time this month, so I worked on that. I also finished up the album for Jana (former Primary president) in the nick of time—this Sunday will be their last one here. Her husband is flying back here tonight (Frank is going to go pick him up, because he gets in late and Jana has little kids), they are packing & loading Monday and leaving early Tuesday. We will miss them! One nice thing for us—the refrigerator in their house belongs to them but their new rental house has a refrigerator already, so they are giving their refrigerator to us. It is newer and bigger than the one we have, so that will be nice. (We’d rather have our friends stay here, though!)
Seth has had a little bit of a cold this week. It’s mostly noticeable in the mornings. I’ve been giving him Tylenol at night to help him sleep; it seems to be working. I’m glad it hasn’t turned into anything nasty.
Last week the screen on my laptop died. Thanks to my computer genius husband as well as all the extra computer paraphernalia we have lying around our house (which I admit, I am usually cursing—the stuff, not the computer genius husband!), I have a temporary fix—my laptop is hooked up to a separate screen. It’s not ideal, but without my computer I am nothing! I can’t check e-mail, I can’t get prints of photos made, I can’t blog, I can’t check facebook, I can’t keep up with the budget, I can’t get to any of my Primary documents, I can’t do my daily word search online, etc. Now, some of those things I could do from another computer, but I am realizing if my hard drive ever crashes, I am toast. I probably ought to have my computer genius husband do backups!
This morning I went to our stake’s baptism—we had two boys in our ward who were baptized, and I needed to be there to say a few words. I was glad to be there—the spirit is always so strong at baptisms; very uplifting!
This afternoon I took Scott & Tanner to see an art exhibit—that’s the last thing we needed to do for their Art Merit Badge. We went to a place called the Delaplaine Center for Visual Arts which is in downtown Frederick and has several galleries. We ended up seeing an exhibit of art quilts, which I particularly enjoyed. There were some pretty amazing quilts (I can’t imagine the work that goes into them!), and Scott was excited when he found a few done by his middle school home economics teacher. After that, we walked back to the library (we parked there) and the boys got some books and a movie. The walk was nice—it went through Carroll Creek Park (flowers and brick paths) and past the Community Bridge which is a work of art itself. We also went over another really cool little bridge made out of wrought iron that had designs all over it including a tree and some marsh flags, all made out of wrought iron. I wish I’d had a camera with me!
I did have a camera and captured some cute (blurry) shots of Seth “playing with eggos”.
I just love how engrossed he is! Yes, I know he's not supposed to be playing with those little Legos at age 2, but with thousands of them in the house, it's just not all that practical to keep them all away from him. Also, he is really good about not putting them in his mouth!
Now I need to go bathe the dog (kids are gross; dogs are grosser!) and then make dinner.

2 comments:
Take photos of those cool places! Looking back on my life in California, I wish I had taken more photos of my 'everyday' town because so much of it is unique in it's own way and it has changed so much now it isn't what I remember!
Sounds busy but nice, I like the "eggos" picture, the twins were the same and started using them early on.
Post a Comment