Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Did You Really Just Say That?

When I climbed in the car yesterday morning, the radio was on. There was some kind of discussion going on where people could call in with their opinions. I don't know what the discussion was about, exactly, because I only heard the end of one caller's comments and the beginning of the next caller's comments, but I was totally floored by what I heard. Here's what I heard (paraphrased a little; I can't remember the exact words used):

First female caller: "...I have definitely felt pressured to do things that I wasn't comfortable doing in order to save the relationship."

Second female caller: "I agree with her (first caller). I'd say over the last 10 years I have definitely noticed a change in what men expect of women. Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying that porn is unhealthy..."

What? What did you just say?!

I felt like a ton of bricks just fell on my head! I think it would be hard for me to put into words why these comments bothered me so much, but here are a few reasons, just for starters:

  1. Apparently we live in a society where women, not just men, are making excuses and / or justifying an evil thing.
  2. Women are justifying this evil thing in spite of the fact that they see it having an effect on their lives, and in spite of the fact that the effect it's having on them is not positive. Are they blind?!
  3. Satan has obviously convinced a lot of people that a blatant lie ("pornography is not harmful--in fact, it's normal and healthy") is true.
  4. Pornography is destroying normal, healthy relationships and very few people seem to realize that.
  5. Pornography destroys souls and ruins lives.
  6. Pornography is addictive.
  7. Pornography leads to crime and violence.
  8. If left unchecked, pornography could very well lead to the downfall of our society / civilization.

I turned off the radio, because I couldn't stand to listen to any more. But my two middle boys and I had a discussion on the way to school about everything that was wrong with those comments. I asked them "What does the prophet have to say about pornography?" and I was pleased that they gave responses like this: "It's evil." "It's wrong." "It destroys people." "We have to stay far away from it."

Whew! I feel a little bit better now....

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I so agree with this post. Oprah just had a show this week about how more and more women are viewing porn. They called it "mainstream" and "normal" and it made me sick. To openly talk about something so depraved and perverse and to call it "good" and "healthy" is such a scary thing. What is wrong with people? Can they even hear what they're saying? Do they ever stop and think about what it is they're really doing? Seriously. Yikes!

RAQ said...

AMEN!