Friday, August 13, 2010

Weekly Review August 14'10

Seth was all curled up in this blanket and looking so comfortable!

He looked so cute all curled up in the rocking chair, fast asleep! He didn't feel very well that day.

Close up

I took this photo because it is so rare for Snickers to curl up by Seth--he doesn't trust Seth because Seth hurts him fairly often (not on purpose)!

Let's see...it is always hard for me to remember what happened at the beginning of the week! My 1st counselor had sick kids on Sunday, so she wasn't there, and my 2nd counselor was "flying solo" (her husband was out of town) with a 5 month old baby, so we all had our hands full and things were a bit hectic and busy. It all worked out, though. My 2nd counselor almost didn't come either, since her baby had a cold--I'm really glad she came anyway because she was a big help! Tanner gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting, and he did a great job.

I can't say I had the best week of my life. One of my very best friend's husband committed suicide on Wednesday morning. They had separated with no hope of reconciliation a few weeks ago, so things were already hard but still...it was a huge shock and of course makes things even more difficult for her and her children than they already were. I am just heartsick about it! They moved away from here last year, so all I can do for them right now is pray a lot. It's been really hard for the boys also--they are good friends with some of the kids. Yesterday morning another friend who moved out of our ward recently (but still lives in our stake) came by to see me. She had just heard about my other friend's husband, and she knew it would be hard for me, so she came by just to give me a hug. That really made my day!

Well, on to the rest of our week...

The boys and I all had haircuts on Monday, plus I had my hair color touched up. It was really nice to have that done; we all look nice now! That took up a good portion of the day, though. For family night we played speed Uno and ate cookies; there was a slight mishap with some spilled milk all over the cards, but fortunately we brought two Uno decks into our marriage, so we were able to continue the game with our second deck while the other deck dried out.

Scott had driving appointments on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. He is all done with that now; all he has to do now is practice a lot. He needs to drive 60 hours and hold his permit for 9 months before he can get his license, so he can't get it before next March. He is not in a hurry anyway, and neither are we--we're not ready for him to be driving solo yet!

Tuesday evening we had a guy come over to give us an estimate on how much it would cost to replace our windows. I agreed to it kind of on a whim, mostly out of curiosity. I should have known they wouldn't just show up, measure our windows, and give us an estimate! We got a 2 1/2 hour spiel on windows; I actually learned a lot about windows but I had other things I would have rather been doing! Then of course they tried to convince us to make a decision right then and there to buy windows for the whole house, but we didn't bite, even with a 25% discount! I would like to get new windows someday; it's a good investment and I know I'd enjoy staying warmer in the winter, but they are very expensive and I don't want to invest in them now if we end up moving in the next year or two.

Seth woke up sounding kind of "croupy" and feeling warm Tuesday night. On Wednesday he was definitely a bit feverish, although he didn't seem to feel too bad. Wednesday night he didn't sleep well at all; he woke up several times crying. I had just received the news about my friend's husband Wednesday evening, and I stayed up late reading, just to try to get my mind off of things. Seth started waking up shortly after I went to bed, and every time he woke up I stayed awake worrying about my friend for a while, so it was a very restless night without a lot of sleep. I finally got a few hours sleep, but then at about 5:30 a huge thunderstorm blew in and woke me back up. Very strong winds, torrential rain, and constant lightning strikes--I've never seen anything like it! I heard later that there were over 800 lightning strikes in that storm, and I believe it--the storm lasted about 45 minutes, with lightning striking constantly that whole time. It made me nervous enough that I decided to move down to the main level, taking Seth with me. Snickers was terrified, so I let him out of his crate and he curled up on our laps until it was over. Seth was not scared, but he didn't go back to sleep afterwards so that day started very early! I was pretty tired all day but managed to function.

Thursday was a day for violent weather--not only did we have a huge thunderstorm in the early morning, we had a tornado warning in the afternoon. The worst of that storm went to the east of us, but I still made all the boys (including a neighbor boy who was home alone) go down to the basement until it passed. No lightning this time--just more torrential rain and strong winds. We had a "mini river" running through our backyard for a while. There was a lot of flooding in some areas, power outages, and lots of tree limbs and so forth down, but I don't think there was any major damage. Frank was in Frederick working that afternoon although he'd been down south earlier in the day. I was glad he was up here because the tornado's path was supposed to go right through Gaithersburg. I would have been very nervous if he had still been down there!

In between the two violent storms, I took Tanner to freshman orientation at the high school. That was pretty boring for me, since I did the same thing 2 years ago with Scott, but I wanted Tanner to get a feel for the school and a chance to look around. They give all the freshman school t-shirts also, which is nice.

Seth seemed a lot better on Thursday and yesterday he seemed to be back to his normal self. Last night we went to dinner with a family who lives nearby so we could meet them. They have a child who will be going to Jared & Seth's school this year and we are going to carpool with them. I will pick their son up in the mornings and they will bring Jared home in the afternoons. I will still be picking Seth up in the middle of the day, but this means I'll be making 2 trips per day (as usual) instead of 3. Anyway, they turned out to be a very nice little family and we enjoyed the evening. They also have 4 boys, although younger than ours--their oldest is 10; the other three boys are 5, 3, and 2. The mom (Holly) is starting a daycare this year so it was going to be very hard for her to put all those kids in the car every morning to take her 5 year old to school. Her husband gets home from work in time to do the afternoon pickup (except Fridays--I'll be picking up that day, also.)
Today seems to have just flown by. We have had ants invading our kitchen--particularly the pantry--so we took everything out of there, sprayed, and set up traps. Frank and I did some shopping for Scott's birthday. It is getting really hard to figure out what to get him these days, especially this year--all he could come up with is a pair of shoes! We did some scouting around and then came home and gave him some options and let him choose. He decided in favor of a fairly inexpensive MP3 player, along with the shoes. So he won't be surprised with his gifts tomorrow, but at least we know he'll like what he gets. This evening we had the missionaries over for dinner, which we always enjoy. Now it is late, so I'd better get to bed!

2 comments:

RAQ said...

I am so sorry about your friend! I feel so bad for her and you! You seem to have lots of friends going through difficult times! I hope you know we love you and pray for you and that you will be strengthened!

4boyzmdmom said...

Thanks, Rachelle. I do have a lot of friends who are having really difficult times lately. I'm counting my blessings, and praying lots for them.