Friday, November 18, 2011

Weekly Review November 18 '11

Frank and I did not go on a fun and somewhat spontaneous road trip this week, so I don't think there is much to write about. We had some beautiful warm days the beginning of the week, but yesterday it got cold again. Today was sunny, though, and I've been enjoying what is left of the fall colors. This is our next door neighbor's tree--it's practically right outside our front door.
I love this tree; it looks fabulous this time of year and in the spring it has beautiful pink flowers. When I got out the camera to get pictures of the tree, Seth insisted on taking a few too. He tried taking some of himself. I told him they wouldn't be good because the camera was too close, but I actually kind of like this one:
Yes, the flash washes him out a bit, but I like how it captured the beautiful color of his eyes! Seth took a picture of me, too. I love how all the pictures he takes of me are from the perspective of looking up at me. Reminds me of Shellie's funny story about one of her boys being shocked when she mentioned that she is short--from his perspective, he thinks she is tall! :)
So back to Sunday...Frank and I drove home that morning. We got home around 2:00, the same time that our church meetings end. Maggie and the boys arrived home a short while later. Maggie had funny stories to tell us, such as the time Seth found her putting on eyeliner and asked what she was doing. She explained that wearing eyeliner made her feel better about herself, and asked which eye looked prettier (she had only applied eyeliner to one eye so far). After contemplating her for a minute, Seth finally decided "They both look ugly!"
We've spent the week getting caught up with chores and trying to keep up with the regular flow of life. Scott has been extra busy because he was doing the sound for another play at school. He had late rehearsals every day, and last night was the first performance. He has another one tonight, and two more tomorrow.
I had a busy week, too. I was out of the house three nights in a row--choir on Tuesday, YW on Wednesday, and Auxiliary Training Meeting for YW last night. (That last meeting had been rescheduled from the Saturday that it snowed.) Tonight Frank and I planned to go to the temple, but his stomach is bothering him, so we are going to go another time. Maybe tomorrow morning, if he is feeling up to it.
This morning I helped at Seth's school all morning. I took kids to the restroom and helped get the snack ready. It is always fun to see what's going on it Seth's classroom. Seth is making great progress with reading. He brings home a reading book every day and this week he read a whole book with hardly any help from me! He was able to sound out all the words except for the word "the". I took a video of him reading today--I will try to post it on here, but it may not work since it is about 3 1/2 minutes long.
Frank is enjoying his job, and all is going well there. We are still playing "catch up" with finances, but we'll be able to start saving again soon. Last week I watched the movie "Cinderella Man" (it's really good, if you haven't seen it) and I couldn't help thinking how fortunate we are that even when we were unemployed for four months we still had a roof over our heads and plenty to eat. (That movie takes place during the Great Depression.)
One of the things Frank brought back with him from NC was a Kitchenaid that his mom had but wasn't using very much. He's been wanting one of those for a long time. He couldn't wait to try it out, so on Tuesday he made cinnamon rolls, complete with homemade cream cheese frosting. They were delicious! That's one of the differences between Frank and I--he sees cooking / baking as a fun hobby. I see it as a chore! We are lucky that we get to benefit from the yummy results of his hobby.
I told you there wasn't much to write about--I think that is it! We hope Mom had a wonderful birthday on Monday!

1 comment:

RAQ said...

I can't see the video but that is cool! Gwen has been spelling words this week, it's fun to see them making connections with all that!