When I left off last week, Jared and I were leaving for the roadshow performance. Both performances went well. (We had one Friday night and one Saturday night). I wish I had some pictures, but I forgot my camera, of course! A lot of people in the ward took pictures, though, and I am hoping to get some of them and maybe I can post some next week. On the first night of performances we got to see all the other wards do their shows except for the ward immediately before our performance. I was impressed--they were all creative, and even more importantly, all the performers seemed to be having a great time. The second night they were judging the performances and we had to stay in our assigned room all evening. Everyone was having fun, though. After our second performance everyone was so wired! But the cool thing was that our director had brought the Muppet Movie for everyone to watch while waiting and everyone sat there and sang the songs together and I could really tell that this event was a huge bonding experience for all the youth in our ward. We also had a number of non-member friends who participated and they were in on that bonding experience as well.
At the end of the evening, they had the awards ceremony. Each ward got an award for something outstanding about their show--our ward got outstanding choreography, which didn't surprise me at all--we had three dance numbers and our choreographer was very talented. The kids who danced were talented too--I was so impressed with how well they learned the dances. They really looked fantastic! They also gave 1st, 2nd and 3rd places for the best shows overall, and our ward got 2nd place. We were all pretty pleased about that. Another cool thing about this whole event is that they got members of the community who are involved in theater to be the judges. None of them were members of our church but they all made comments afterwards about what a great feeling there was at this event, how impressed they were with our youth, how glad they were that they got to be a part of it, and a few of them even said they felt like God had guided the people in charge of the roadshows to choose them as a judge. So overall it was a very positive experience that involved adults, youth, and children in all the wards as well as many members of our community, which is great!
Tanner and Scott continued to be very busy with their play at the high school with a performance on Friday night and two performances on Saturday. They slept late on Saturday and really only had a few hours to work on homework before they had to be back at the school. Tanner forgot to take his medicine and since Frank and I had been planning to take a walk sometime that day anyway, we walked over to the high school and back to take him his medicine. We took Snickers with us also. It was quite warm that day and we had to stop several times so Snickers could rest in the shade! Other than that, we didn't get a lot done over the weekend besides the basics.
Sunday was cold again, and overall this week has been mostly cold / cool, with quite a bit of rain. After church I went to choir and Jared had BYC.
Monday was our 20th wedding anniversary. It is just really hard for me to believe that 20 years have really gone by! We're hoping at some point to have a weekend getaway, but the next several weeks are pretty booked up with events for the kids so we haven't done much to celebrate yet. We did go out for dinner that night, though (before family night), got each other cards, and when I was just leaving to go pick up Seth from school, I opened the door and came face to face with a lady carrying this up my front walk:
I was actually quite suprised although I suppose I shouldn't have been!
I had a YW presidency Monday morning. We did it over the phone since the YW president wasn't feeling too well. Tuesday morning the a guy from the company who installed our countertops came over and put a seal around the top of the sink--we've had some trouble with it leaking if we splash water near the top of the sink. The guy who came was pretty sure that the people who installed the countertop forgot to put a seal in at all, but it's fixed now. I had book club Tuesday afternoon. We had Chinese food since we read a book that took place in China. (Snow Flower and the Secret Fan). I also read another book I was given at Christmas time called Chinese Cinderella. Both of the books were good, but I am glad that I was not born in China. Girls are considered worthless too much of the time!
I had lots of errands to do on Wednesday and one of my visiting teachers came over to see me that afternoon. I also did a lot of weeding and Scott moved the lawn so the yard looks a lot better although I still have some weeding to finish. I am really trying to pull the weeds up by their roots so that they are less likely to come back. It must be helping because I had a lot fewer weeds to pull this time around than last time. That evening we had YM / YW--they had a "cast party" and showed a recording of our performance so we could all see what it looked like from the audience's point of view.
Yesterday was cold and rainy and that kind of fit my mood--I had a few things weighing pretty heavily on my mind and I felt kind of down. I kept busy, though--I went visiting teaching in the morning and met with the new Mia Maid advisor (our current one is moving so a new one was just called on Sunday) in the afternoon. Jared woke up feeling sick and since his temperature was a little elevated, I let him stay home. That was a good choice--his temperature continued to go up that day and even with medication it got up to 101.5. He also had a headache, sore throat and congestion. I thought I might have to take him to the doctor today but his temperature was down this morning and has stayed down all day. He still doesn't feel great but he is better than he was.
Today I've been busy getting the budget caught up, making refreshments for our marriage class tonight (it's our turn to bring them) and taking care of Jared. And keeping up with Seth, of course! Scott and Tanner are at their play now (we've seen more of them this week, though--they haven't had rehearsals like last week) and we are getting ready to leave for our class. We're taking Seth with us since we don't want to leave him with just Jared when Jared is sick. So I'd better go!
To finish up, here is a picture of each boy that was taken this week:
Scott--he's too tired to sit up for the picture! The t-shirt explains what has been taking up all his time and making him so tired.
Tanner--don't ask! This is typical Tanner.
Jared lying on the couch, being sick.
Seth, taking after Tanner.

No comments:
Post a Comment