Hooray for quiet weeks! This is going to be a short one, folks--I mean it! When I sat down Sunday evening to look over the schedule for the week, I was relieved to see that there were not a lot of events going on. It's just what we needed. Don't get me wrong--I kept busy--but I really needed some time to regroup and get caught up on all the housework and things that didn't get done last week. Most of the days on my calendar for this week have a fairly long list of things to do on them, but they are mostly things like laundry and house cleaning. Next week is going to be much busier, so I'm really thankful this week was more of a grace period.
Frank is continuing to recover from his surgery. He is making pretty good progress and starting to act a lot more like himself again. He did some work from home on Monday and Tuesday and the last three days he went in to work for 3 or 4 hours each day. He went in later, so that he could get more sleep, and left early so he'd miss the evening rush hour. The pain has diminished to a much more manageable level--he only needs some ibuprofen once in a while--and he is slowly starting to regain his strength and energy. He is still trying not to push it too much though. He tires easily and has to be careful. We don't want any set backs!
I did have a YW activity (combined YW) that I was in charge of this Wednesday, so that kept me busy the first couple of days this week. I had planning and shopping to do. We planned an outdoor activity but I had also planned a back up activity in case the weather didn't cooperate. It's a good thing I did because Wednesday afternoon it started to rain and came down fairly steadily all evening. I think the activity went ok--the YW seemed to enjoy it.
The other thing I had to do this week is prepare for Seth's birthday. I got the shopping for that done although there was not much to do since Frank had already purchased a few things for him on ebay. Today they "celebrated" his birthday at school with the traditional "walk around the sun" ceremony:
Seth is holding a globe to represent the earth. The light in the middle of the circle represents the sun, and each of the word strips has a month of the year on it. Seth started at the May wordstrip and walked around the circle 5 times because the earth has now gone around the sun five times since he was born. In addition to this little ceremony, he also got to choose 3 favorite things to bring from home to tell about, bring a treat to share with the class if he wished, and present his updated birthday timeline, which has a picture of him for each year of his life. So yesterday I was busy getting a print made of a photo from taken in the last year and baking 2 batches of cupcakes for him to share, plus helping him choose his 3 favorite things to tell about.
Besides that, the only other "out of the ordinary" thing that happened this week was Jared had an orthodontist appointment yesterday afternoon. We were almost late because when I got to the school to pick him up, he hadn't returned from a field trip. (The Spanish teacher took all the 8th graders to a Mexican restaurant for lunch where they had to order their food in Spanish.) They were supposed to be back an hour earlier, but the restaurant ran out of change or something like that. The aid for Jared's class was nice enough to drive over to the restaurant to pick him up and bring him back to the school, so we weren't late for his appointment. We saw the rest of his class walking home when we were on our way to the orthodontist!
Today was Scott's last day of school. He is currently at Taco Bell with a bunch of other seniors, celebrating. He is mostly happy about it but I think he is a little sad too. The boys have a lot of social events going on the next few weeks as school wraps up (everybody but the seniors still have 2 weeks left) and it's going to be crazy trying to keep up with it all. Tonight Scott & Tanner have a party for Scott's Sunday school class (all the Seminary age kids are invited) and Jared is going home from school with his friend Sage to spend the night.
It has rained nearly every day this week for at least part of the day and it has been warm and VERY humid. Starting to feel like summer! We are hoping to get some yard work done tomorrow--the yard has been very neglected during the last several weeks of illness and injuries--but I'm not sure the weather is going to cooperate. Hopefully the lawn will dry out enough that it can be mowed. At least the weed pulling should be easier since the ground is damp. Wish us luck!
Told you it was going to be short! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment