As you can see, there is a built in desk and seat under the bed.
See the wood piece under the seat cushion? Well, you can pull on those handles and another wood piece pulls out. The cushion also unfolds, so the seat actually turns into another twin size bed. Getting the bed in required moving around all the furniture in Seth's room and some cleaning and de-cluttering as well, so that added to the time it took to finish the project.
Seth is thrilled with his new bed, but all the cool features meant that it took some time to put it all together. Frank and Tanner did that part, though. Meanwhile, I took Seth shopping for a new comforter and sheets, since his old blankets and sheets were crib sized. Frank hurt his back bringing in one of the boxes although thankfully not too badly. He was sore for a few days, but he is ok now. After they finally got the bed put together, we had a living room full of large cardboard boxes, and nowhere to put them all. Too late to take them to the recycling place at the dump, and there was freezing rain predicted for the next morning so we didn't want to put them outside. What to do? Frank suddenly remembered that one of his clients has a large box recycling area--they are an office furniture company, after all. So he called them up and they were happy to let us dump all our boxes with the rest of their boxes waiting to be recycled. We were very grateful!
In between the bed project, I had several things to get done for RS, Tanner went to the stake baptism because he was asked to be a witness, and Jared and Frank both had basketball games. Oh, and Frank had to go do some work for a client, leaving Tanner to finish putting the bed together (which he did, and felt very manly about it).
The second new bed arrived on Monday. It wasn't quite as big of a project, but we did have to take the old bed apart and move it out of the room, dispose of the old mattress set, and yes...there was quite a bit of vacuuming and dusting involved as well. Since the new bed takes up more space, I was also motivated to do some de-cluttering in our room as well. Now Scott's old room is a disaster because it currently has both of the old beds, plus most of the things we decided to give away in it. We haven't found anyone who wants the toddler bed, but someone is coming to pick up the queen bed today, which will help a bit. Anyway, here is the new bed:
It still feels huge to us, but I guess we will adjust to that in time. It is very comfortable, which we are grateful for. Someday we will get a new headboard, but for now, the metal frame is just fine.
It has definitely been WINTER this week. We had freezing rain on Sunday and again this morning, causing a 2 hour delay for school on both Monday and today. In between, it got super cold...as in highs in the teens, lows in the single digits, and wind chills of below zero. Yuck! Tuesday was the worst day and Wednesday was not a lot better. I took this photo of our clock / thermometer on Wednesday morning:
Twenty degrees was an improvement over what it was the day before, though. I think it got down to 3 degrees at one point. I'm here to tell you that 82% humidity with 20 degrees is plenty miserable too, though! So grateful to have a heated house...you can see that the inside temperature and humidity is much better.
Speaking of heated houses, I spent a bit of time on Tuesday worrying about a lady who has been investigating the church for close to a year. She has come to church quite regularly for several months, although the last few months she stopped coming--feeling a little too much pressure, I think. Anyway, back around Thanksgiving someone mentioned to me that she doesn't have the heat on in her apartment. On Tuesday, I suddenly remembered that remark and so I started worrying about her. I felt like I really should check on her. I wasn't sure if she'd like that, but I also didn't want her to think that just because she's currently choosing not to come to church that we had all forgotten about her and didn't care about her. We were having soup and biscuits for dinner and I kept feeling like I should take some over to her. It took a bit of detective work to find out her address, but I finally tracked it down and took some soup over to her. I had no idea how it would be received, or even if she would remember who I was but when she came to the door, she immediately called me by name and she seemed genuinely grateful that someone had thought of her. And thankfully, she wasn't freezing either. She recently acquired a pet gerbil and when she woke up that morning and could see her breath, even inside, she decided she'd better turn her heat on for the sake of the gerbil. I have no idea if I'll see her again, but I did feel good because I felt like I had followed a prompting.
Other than all that, this week was not quite as busy as the last several have been--although it may not sound like it. I didn't have huge lists of things I had to do or places I had to go each day but I did spend a lot of time getting caught up on some RS things. It is amazing how much there always is to do...one more person I need to call, one more thing to plan, etc. I still have plenty to do, but I have a few less things preying on my mind. I also had my monthly meeting with the bishop on Tuesday night and on Wednesday evening we had our monthly RS evening meeting. Our theme was "break the ice" (turned out to be very appropriate for that particular day)--we played games to help us get to know each other and had a hot chocolate bar. We had a decent group show up, and I think everyone who came had a really good time. There were basketball practices for both Frank and Jared that evening also so we did quite a bit of running around that night.
I managed to find some time to exercise a few times this week and I also did something fun...went to the fabric store to look at patterns for doll clothes. There are actually tons of patterns to choose from, but I didn't buy any because I am not willing to pay $15-$17 per pattern. I will wait until they go on sale!
Frank has not been quite as busy with his business this week (although he has a large project coming up for one of his clients) but he has had lots of meetings at work. There is a possibility (not sure how likely yet) that he will be sent on some business trips to Africa in the next several months. Oh, and maybe go to a conference in Madrid. We'll see if any of that actually pans out. If he does go, that is going to be rather hectic for me but I guess I'll survive. Especially if I can wangle a way to go to Madrid with him! :) Not much chance of that happening, though.
Today is the last day of the term for the kids and they have Monday off. I've been busy this week helping Seth finish up some homework assignments. The older boys have had a few tests as well. Last night Tanner did the lights and sound for a concert at the school. I'm not sure if he is getting paid for it or not, but it's good experience. Seth needed new shoes this week and I couldn't find any his size with Velcro fasteners so I am trying to teach him how to tie shoes now. It's going to take a while but I'm sure he'll get it eventually.
That's everything I can think of to write about this week. We hope you are all well. Please keep Scott in your prayers, since he's been sick.

No comments:
Post a Comment