I forgot last week to mention the little reward I got for leaving my house at 6:50 am to pick up Jared from Seminary--a rainbow! That was on Tuesday. It was a beautiful full rainbow. I tried to take pictures but all I had was my phone so they didn't come out so well. Anyway, it was a nice way to start out the day.
Last weekend we had Stake Conference. It was really good, and I did enjoy having a bit of a rest from meetings and my usual responsibilities. There were a lot of changes in stake callings which affected me in two ways. First, Frank was released as the stake IT clerk, after having that calling for 7 1/2 years. Second, one of my counselors was called to be a counselor in the stake YW presidency, so now I need a new counselor. I did have some warning about that...about two weeks ago my bishop told me that I needed to start thinking about a new counselor. I didn't know which counselor I was losing or why, but I did figure out that one of them must be getting a stake calling. Hopefully my new counselor will be called this Sunday. In case you haven't been counting, that means I will be up to 5 counselors and 4 secretaries in the less than 2 years that I've had this calling. I think the next time someone gets released it should be...ME! :)
I had some things going on for RS this week...a presidency meeting on Monday, I wrote the presidency message for the RS newsletter, I tried to make VT appointments, and I had a few VT changes to consider but overall it was fairly moderate. Oh, and I visited two sisters in the hospital. Actually, now that I think about it, I've been to the hospital every day this week except yesterday! How did that happen? But anyway, I wouldn't have even known one of the sisters (JoAnn) was in the hospital except that another sister in my ward (Rebekah) who was going to see the other sister (Molly) got sent to the wrong room by accident, and discovered JoAnn was there. Except I don't think it was an accident...it was a tender mercy that they sent her there! Rebekah let me know that JoAnn was there so I was able to visit both JoAnn and Molly that evening.
I had book chat on Tuesday and we really enjoyed discussing Cutting for Stone. Now we are reading The Age of Innocence. Well, actually I'm not reading it yet because I'm still waiting to get my copy from the library.
It was a weird school week--the boys got out of school 2 hours early on Wednesday and didn't have school at all yesterday but they had a regular school day today. (Yesterday was a Jewish holiday.) On Wednesday evening there was a Court of Honor but Frank & I didn't go because Jared forgot that's what they were doing. He wasn't getting any awards anyway...all he has left to do is finish the cooking merit badge and do his Eagle project. I sewed all evening instead and now I'm almost finished with all the baseball sewing I need to get done by October 16th. It's nice to be so close to finishing and I'm way before my deadline.
Speaking of deadlines, Jared worked all week on his application for NHS because the deadline to turn it in was today. He thought it had to be in by 4:00. It turns out it needed to be in by 2:30. So when he went in to hand it in at 2:35, they wouldn't accept it. Frustrating! He wrote down in his notes that it was due at 4:00 so I don't know how he got that wrong but it's too late now. I told him to save it for next year since most of it will be the same and he won't have to do it all over again. It's aggravating that he totally qualifies for NHS but can't be in it because he was 5 minutes late, but I guess if he learns something from the experience it will be worth it.
Yesterday when the boys were out of school, Jared went with a bunch of the Seminary kids to see a movie. They were going to go to a big wooden slide originally, but it was raining yesterday so they changed plans. His survival camp out went well last week, by the way. They built shelters for themselves and they had to show that they could do things like build a snare or bait a hook in order to "earn" their meals. Evidently he enjoyed it.
That's it for this week except that it's starting to look like Halloween around here. Check out this spider web on the neighbor's deck:
Actually, today is about as beautiful as days come. It was quite foggy this morning, but now? Sunny, warm, light breeze...perfect!

No comments:
Post a Comment