It's been another crazy busy week. Seems like we can't get through a week lately without some sort of major life event. This week it was Seth's baptism, which was on Saturday the 6th of June. Seth decided to have Jared baptize him, and that was just as well since it would have been painful for Frank to do it. Frank did the confirmation and Tanner was able to stand in the circle for that, so that was nice. Here's a few pictures:
After the baptism, we came home to change clothes and then took Seth to Burger King for lunch (his choice). Then the boys and I drove down to the LDS bookstore and the temple. Frank wasn't feeling up to going with us, although he is still improving.
We went to the LDS bookstore so that Seth could pick out a set of scriptures--we get all the boys their first nice set of scriptures when they get baptized. Then we went to the temple visitor's center for a while and took some pictures in front of the temple. Jared took all these pictures, and I didn't realize that he set the camera on black and white (which is fine; I just wish we had got one color picture of us in front of the temple). He was playing around with the different colors and I do think he got some pretty cool effects:
After we got back from the temple, Tanner and I went with the missionaries to visit a sister in the ward. We had a good visit with her. After we came back and had dinner, I went to the church to put in the visiting teaching report for May and to print up the new visiting teaching slips for all the sisters who had changes to their routes (and then I forgot to hand them out on Sunday, so I had to e-mail all of them!) My visiting teaching coordinator, who usually puts in the report and hands out the slips, just moved to Utah. The new coordinator was called that Sunday but of course she didn't know what was going on yet so I got to do the coordinator's job for a month.
Sunday was the usual busy parade of meetings. Frank was able to teach his class again, but once again had to go home after that. After church, Tanner went to a "break the fast" potluck for the YSAs and Jared went to Seminary graduation that evening.
Frank had physical therapy Monday, Wednesday, and today this week. The good news is, today they cleared him to go back to work on Monday! We are very happy about that! I spent a lot of time on Monday getting caught up with some more RS stuff. That afternoon I took Tanner back to the eye doctor for a follow up appointment for his contact lenses, and got his contacts ordered. Tanner & Jared got haircuts, which they've been desperately needing. I also booked our flights to Utah. It's still uncertain whether or not Frank will be able to come to Utah at all, but the rest of us will be there the end of June. Seth and I will stay a few weeks; Jared will be there one week because he needs to be back earlier to go to Youth Conference. We are glad to be coming and looking forward to seeing all of you! Seth had a party that evening at a place called Pump It Up (large inflatables to play on) which he really enjoyed. (He had his own birthday party there two years ago.) We had a pretty good summer thunderstorm while he was at the party:
I took Tanner to the doctor on Tuesday to get a check for his medication and to find out what to do about getting his medication refilled while he is on his mission. It sounds like he'll have to find a doctor in Arizona since it's illegal to send the medication across state lines, and they technically aren't supposed to fill it in another state if the prescription was written elsewhere. (Although he had no trouble filling in while he was in Utah.) We'll call his mission secretary to talk about it and see what we can do. I'm sure he's not the first missionary who has needed medication for ADD. Tanner also got an updated Meningitis vaccine while we were there.
After the doctor we did mission shopping. We got the pants he needs and a pair of shoes, one more white shirt (we already got the rest of them earlier) and one tie (because he liked it...he has enough ties already). It took a while to do all that and we were pretty tired by the time we got home. I still had to do all the usual Tuesday chores, but managed to get everything done by bedtime. We had family night that night too, since we hadn't been able to do it on Monday.
On Monday the touch screen on my phone quit working completely, which means basically I couldn't use my phone at all. I could see that I was getting text messages, but couldn't read them. It's pretty unnerving to know people are likely going to try to contact you but not be able to get in touch with you (especially when you happen to be the RS president), so on Wednesday I gave in and we got me a new phone. And since the only "non smart" phones available to me were pieces of junk (according to Frank), I gave in even further and joined the 21st century by getting a smart phone. I was eligible for an upgrade (had the last phone about 5 or 6 years, I think!) so I was able to get the new phone for a relatively cheap price. The change in the cost of our cell phone plan wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either, so it wasn't too painful. And I do like the new phone. I got a Samsung phone because it is very similar to my tablet so I already mostly know how to use it, which is helpful. Scott and Jared got new phones too since they were also eligible to upgrade, but we didn't get one for Tanner of course since he's leaving in less than 3 weeks.
Also on Wednesday Seth had the spring music concert at school so Frank and I went to that. My friend Rebekah and I made dinner for another friend in the ward because she's been sick a lot the last few weeks. That evening we had our monthly RS meeting. It went well; we had a pretty good turn out and we had a class on how to stretch and ways to fit it into our schedules. The sister teaching it showed us ways to do stretches while standing at the sink doing dishes, ironing, picking things up off the floor, and so forth. It was funny! Then we had samples of healthy snacks made from "super foods" and they were all really yummy. I had to do a food order that night also so it was busy but everything worked out.
I had a visit Thursday morning with a sister in my ward who is going through some really tough things. Sometimes it is amazing to me what people can endure! I had book club that afternoon. I was in charge of picking the books to choose from and I wasn't having much luck finding any books I thought would be good that our library had more than one copy of, but I finally found a good list to choose from on Good Reads, plus got some good ideas from Mom & Dad. So I ended up bringing five books to choose from (we usually have 3 choices). After book club I still needed to get groceries. Thankfully Tanner and Frank had kept the laundry moving while I was gone! The Elders came over for dinner that night too. They haven't been getting fed much lately, unfortunately, so Frank told them anytime they don't have a place to eat, they should text "Dinner?" to us, and we would have them over if we could. They had actually asked to come on Wednesday, but then one of them ended up in the ER because he had a seizure so they didn't come that night but I invited them over to come the next night instead. (The Elder who had the seizure seems to be ok, but they are still figuring out why he had one.)
Today I had another RS visit this morning although it was just getting to know a new sister in the ward, so not so intense. Then the new visiting teaching coordinator came over so we could go over her responsibilities. We were going to meet at the church originally so I could show her the computer program but then this week the church switched us over to the new system. Now I have access to all the visiting teaching stuff from my home computer, which will be very convenient, but it won't be available at the church anymore so I'm not sure if the coordinator is going to be able to access the new system. We'll wait and see. I might have to do all the computer reporting stuff myself now but the coordinator will still be in charge of making sure all the calls happen to get the reports from the sisters, and get that information to me. In between I worked on the budget and got that done. I'm trying not to think about how much money we've spent in the last few weeks, but with a child going on a mission, and having to buy a new car, and so forth, it's been pretty unavoidable.
Tanner went to the temple today. I've gone with him every week for the last 3 weeks but I just couldn't fit it in this week so Frank dropped him off before his physical therapy appointment and then picked him up afterwards. They stopped on the way home to buy some computer equipment for one of Frank's clients and to get lunch, so they didn't get home until mid afternoon.
Now I need to go make dinner before we go to pack meeting.










1 comment:
congrats on the baptism! That's all your boys now!
Post a Comment