Saturday, July 25, 2015

Weekly Review July 24 '15

I only have one week to cover (instead of 3) so hopefully this post will be a lot shorter and more manageable to wade through. I wouldn't say this week was incredibly eventful, either.

Last Friday I did what I predicted--I spent all day updating the finances. Not a lot of fun, but needed to be done. Seth went to a birthday party that afternoon where they had a water gun fight, so he enjoyed that. Jared arrived home from Camp Helaman that evening. In spite of applying sunscreen 3 times a day, he was still pretty sunburned! He did have a good time, though. I haven't heard a ton about youth conference or Camp Helaman, but he enjoyed both trips.

Saturday was super hot. I tried to mow the lawn that morning, but our lawnmower wouldn't start. We did have the Elders over later, though, and they helped with a bunch of weeding and spreading mulch. Frank didn't do much because he still has to be careful so he just loosened some of the weeds with our big claw tool, but apparently even that was too much. He's had a bit of a setback, with his back hurting him quite a bit since then. He went to the physical therapist on Tuesday for his check up and because of the new problems with his back, they want him to do 3 more weeks of physical therapy and then see where he's at. Plus, they said he shouldn't do anything like yardwork for probably a year. 

Saturday evening I went to a birthday party for one of my good friends in the ward. She invited a bunch of her girl friends over and her husband cooked dinner for all of us. It was pretty impressive...he made steak, crab cake, scallops, mashed potatoes, asparagus, green salad, and bread. Plus appetizers and 3 kinds of dessert! It was better than a restaurant! I didn't know everyone there...she had invited a number of neighbors as well as a few women from the ward, but I enjoyed getting to know some of the other women that I didn't know. One of them mentioned that her family is "as Catholic as can be" but that her parents, who live in Utica, New York, LOVE the Hill Cumorah Pageant and they attend every year!

Sunday was the usual round of meetings and I came away with a decent list of things to do and people to call. Plus I also was asked to speak in church this Sunday. Why do I always get asked to speak in church right after vacation? So I've spent a lot of time this week working through my list of RS stuff, plus preparing a talk. I have also tried to work on visiting teaching changes and the lesson that I will be teaching next Sunday because I want to have some free time to spend with Ben's family when they are here next week. So all of that has kept me very busy!

The earlier part of the week was uncomfortably hot and humid but on Tuesday evening we had a short thunderstorm. Here are the clouds coming in; they looked much cooler in real life!:




Since then, the temperature dropped into the 80s and the humidity has been lower too so it has been really beautiful and we've enjoyed that. I think it is supposed to be getting hot again the next few days, though.

Another project I had this week was getting Tanner's room cleaned up. He actually didn't have as much stuff in there as I thought, so it didn't take as long as I had feared. We want to have his floor clear so the queen size air mattress will fit in there for Ben & Dee to sleep on. After I packed his stuff (which fit in one box), Jared helped me move some furniture around and  he also helped me move a bunch of my craft stuff (which has been in one corner of the room) up onto the bed. Then he took apart the desk that was in there. So now we have a nice big open floor!

Other things I did this week: I had book club on Tuesday and a Presidency meeting Wednesday. On Thursday evening I went to a farewell party for a family in our ward who's moving plus I took Jared to a play he wanted to go to. (A friend was in it.) I signed Jared up for Driver's Ed, ran errands to the post office and the library, took Seth to cub scout den meeting, and nagged Jared to work on his Eagle project. I did all the usual cleaning, shopping, and laundry.

Jared has been applying for some jobs. He also mowed the lawn for an older couple in our ward, and our lawn too (we borrowed a lawnmower to do that). He worked on his Eagle project when I nagged at him about it and helped another boy in our ward with his project (he did a basketball camp for kids with disabilities).

Last night Frank took me out to dinner as a belated birthday present, which I enjoyed. In between all the other things, I've been reading here and there. I finished the book about Orem and learned a few things I didn't know ( For example, during WWII there was a Japanese interment camp in Orem for a short period of time...right where Orchard Elementary and Canyon View Jr High Schools are now! Later in the war it became a POW camp for German and Italian prisoners, who were allowed to work at the nearby farms and orchards.) I finished The Language of Flowers, and mostly enjoyed it. All the birthday books I ordered from Amazon arrived, so I have more reading material. I already read this one, since it is mostly pictures:


I haven't started this one yet:


I've read a little bit of this fun book:


It opens up like a dollhouse:


It's all about many different historical dollhouses. I'm enjoying it!

I also started reading The Astronaut Wives Club, which I checked out from the library. I haven't been able to get our next book for book chat yet, so once I do, I will have one more book to read!

Scott is in the process of buying a car so we've spent a bit of time on the phone with him this week, giving advice about insurance and registration and so forth. Hopefully he will get it all worked out soon! He started a new full time job the day I flew back from Utah and so far he really likes it. Having a car to get to work and back will really help him out. Plus I'm hoping he'll be able to go to Institute and have more opportunities to date.

That's all I can think of for this week.

No comments: