Friday, October 9, 2015

Weekly Review October 9 '15

General Conference Bingo (and enjoying snacks while we listen):





General Conference was great! I loved it! I’m listening to all the talks again now. I actually missed the first half of the 2nd session on Saturday because of a miscommunication with Jared so I didn’t get to hear the part where they called the new apostles. But then right after the session I was online trying to find out more about them and discovered that there was a press conference happening in just a few minutes so I got to watch that live, where they introduced the 3 new apostles to the press and then allowed the members of the press to ask them questions. It was really great because as I listened to them share their experiences of receiving their calls and then as they answered the questions posed to them with great wisdom and power, I knew that they are the three men that Heavenly Father needs to be special witnesses of Christ right now. I can’t even explain it really, but they brought me to tears more than once and I could just see that they’ve been totally prepared to be apostles of Jesus Christ. (I did go back and watch the first part of that session this week too!) There were so many good talks. I loved Elder Nelson’s talk. I was also really struck by the guy who spoke right after Elder Holland…can’t remember his name right now; he’s  a member of the seventy…but he talked about our responsibility as parents to teach our children, and I realized Frank and I could have done a lot better in that area. But he also said it’s never too early or too late to start, which gives me hope.

I really liked Elder Hales’s talk too and I was thinking when I listened to it that I hoped Scott had listened to his talk because he had a lot of good advice for people Scott’s age and in his situation in life. Then when I talked to Scott yesterday I asked him what his favorite talk was and he said it was Elder Hales’s talk. So I was very glad to hear that!!

General Conference dominated our weekend. I did get quite a bit of work done Saturday morning before conference started…I was going through more boxes in the laundry room, and got all the boxes in the living room better organized and back down to the laundry room. (I cut my foot on some glass in the process, but it wasn't too bad.) I also did quite a lot of photo scanning although I didn’t spend as much time on it as I had planned. I have scanned a big stack of photos, but I haven’t even made it through the first box. I have two more boxes after the first one, plus a big album and a bunch of envelopes full of pictures. And then after all that, I need to go through all the other photo albums and find any others that I missed. This project is going to take a really long time. But I’m glad I finally got started on it at least.

Jared went bowling with Jessie and some friends in between conference sessions on Saturday. And that’s where the miscommunication came about…we were supposed to pick him up and take him to another girl's house to watch the second session. We thought it was just he and Jessie we needed to pick up. It turned out to be them and four other kids! So when Frank arrived with the Prius to pick them up, there wasn’t enough room. Plus they got done late. Jared says he told me there were 6 kids who needed rides and we should bring the Expedition, but somehow I missed that. I have no memory of that conversation! Frank was pretty mad (I wasn't very happy either) and I ended up leaving immediately with the Expedition to pick them all up but by the time I got them dropped off and back home, the first half of the session was practically over. It was frustrating, but that’s how it goes sometimes. By the way, they were all going to the other hosue so they could watch the session with a young man named Kyle who has been taking the discussions and going to seminary. He’s getting baptized tomorrow. So that is pretty cool! Jared went with the Elders Wednesday to teach him. Actually, he went to a couple of appointments with them plus had dinner with them so he was gone from 4:00 to 9:30. Pretty crazy. But he said teaching Kyle with them was amazing. As long as I’m talking about Jared, he also went to the Sunday morning session at our bishop's house because they invited all the Priests and Laurels to their house for breakfast and to watch the first session. I took him to the cardiologist on Tuesday and they did an EKG and an ultrasound and his heart looks fine. So the cardiologist thinks he’s just getting random adrenaline bursts. He told Jared to keep track of times his heart beats fast…when and how long, and what his heart rate is. If his heart rate gets higher than 150, then he should call him back. Otherwise, we don’t need to worry. That was good news, although I was a little annoyed because I felt like the doctor kind of brushed us off. I do hope he's right, of course, but I don't think he even looked at our family history. At least he didn't seen anything structurally wrong with Jared's heart. That's the good news. Jared has been working on his Eagle project a little bit this week…we talked with a guy in our ward and he has an idea of how to finish off the edges of the signs. Jared, Dad, and this guy are going out to the farm tomorrow morning to figure out how the signs will be hung. Jared only had one rehearsal this week. He seems to be pretty busy all the time, though. It turns out his play (Legally Blonde) does have performances on Sundays and he also has a rehearsal on Sunday pretty much every week from now until the performances start, so we aren’t very happy about that. We told him no more plays for this group!

Let’s see…Seth has been doing some of his schoolwork at home and he’s done well with that. He still isn’t getting enough done at school. We got all the questionnaires back and I turned them in to the doctor; now we have an appointment next week to talk about what to do next. He was “personality of the week” in his class this week so he enjoyed taking in pictures of himself and things to show and tell. He is enjoying Cub Scouts a lot and we are making progress there.

Frank is still super busy with work and clients. Not much else to say about him! I am keeping busy too. Besides scanning photos, I’ve been trying to keep up with everyone else’s schedules and making sure everyone gets to where they need to be at the right time. The scout committee chair in our ward has asked me to help track how all the YM are doing with Duty to God, so on Wednesday evening I went to the church to meet with as many of them as I could. Of course, most of them forgot to bring their books, so I only met with 3 or 4 of them. But it’s a start. I also had a Cub Committee meeting that evening and I’ve been working out a few details for the next Pack Meeting, which is tomorrow morning. We had a few carpool changes this week with both school and seminary so I did a little more driving than usual. I got a bunch of doctor appointments set up. Oh! And on Wednesday I went to the temple, so that was awesome. It’s been closed since August 10th and just reopened on Tuesday. I went down with two other sisters in our ward and I didn't even have to drive, so that was nice.. There is new carpet on the entire 4th floor (floor with the endowment rooms) and they put all new seats in the endowment rooms too. It looks nice. The temple president visited our stake conference a few weeks ago and he said that the temple is 41 years old now so it needs a lot of renovations. They gave them the option of having longer maintenance closures for the next couple of years so that they could do renovations gradually, or they could just close the temple completely for about a year and a half and do everything at once. They chose to do the longer maintenance closures, and I’m glad they did. Having the temple closed for nearly 2 months kind of stunk. Having it closed for a year and a half would be much worse! So he said this time while they were closed, besides the work they did on the 4th floor, they also re-caulked half of the marble on the outside and replaced half of the HVAC system. Next time they close, they will do the other half of those projects. We've had longer closings for the last couple of years (I remember last year they replaced the roof) so we probably have a few more years with longer maintenance closings and then hopefully they'll be done with all the renovations for a while.

We had the Elders over for dinner on Tuesday and they are coming again tonight. Frank wants to talk to them about people in the Elders Quorum for them to visit . They didn’t have a dinner appointment tonight so he told them to just come eat with us and then they can talk.


After rain and clouds most of last week, we had a few really sunny and warm days this week. It was really nice to see the sun again! Today is somewhat cloudy and gloomy again, though. I've been enjoying watching the many squirrels in our neighborhood scampering around gathering nuts and such. There are a lot of them!

That's about all I can think of for this week and I need to get dinner started anyway.

1 comment:

Anna Harrison said...

good idea with the bingo!