Saturday: Jared called in sick for work (he called Friday night, so they had some time to find someone else to work for him). That was his last day but they are keeping him as an employee so that he can go back to work there when he gets done with winter semester.
(He is just currently inactive, so they won't schedule him while he's gone.) We did get a little bit of snow that morning but not a lot and the roads weren't bad. Seth had swimming lessons that morning and I didn't have any trouble getting him there. He just started a new session and his teacher is a guy this time, which he likes. I got my hair done that day and did some Cub Scout planning, as well as helping Seth with some Cub Scout stuff and with some homework.
Sunday: I told Frank he should stay home from church. He still wasn't feeling well at all, and coughing like crazy. He listened to me & stayed home. The rest of us went to church. Tanner's throat started hurting a bit that day. Jared and Tanner both ended up going down to the temple that afternoon / evening. Jared was invited to go with Jessie and her family to see the lights and the nightly concert, which was some Chinese dancers. Tanner volunteered to help with directing traffic, because our ward was assigned to send two men to help with that and only one person had volunteered to do it. The other brother who volunteered gave Tanner a ride down there and back. It was really heroic of Tanner to volunteer because it was COLD!! Meanwhile, Frank rested, I started working on a jigsaw puzzle, and Seth built his Lego robot and started playing with it / programming it. The puzzle has turned out to be a bear. We still haven't managed to get the outer edge done, but we gave up on that for a while and started doing some of the inside. After five days, it looks like this:
Admittedly, I haven't had a lot of time to work on it but still...it's a hard puzzle. Here is a video of Seth with his robot:
Tanner and Jared both got back home by 10:00. We invited Jessie's family to come over when they got back so they came in and shared all the appetizers I had made for dinner and we talked and visited for a while. They are a really nice family! They left before midnight because they had a sick dog at home that they needed to check on. The boys and I stayed up until midnight to welcome the new year. Frank had gone to bed, but he was still sort of awake.
Monday: This was a really busy day for me. I did laundry and took down all the Christmas decorations. Taking down the decorations involved two trips to the storage unit--one to get the boxes and then another one to take the full boxes back. Jared came with me to help me and he also got out all of the boxes with his stuff so he could go through them and find the things he needed for college. So he had a really busy day too--he went through all of those boxes and took out what he needed, then helped me take all those boxes and the Christmas boxes back. It was super cold and windy, so not a lot of fun moving all those boxes from the house to the car to the storage unit! Jared also unpacked his suitcases (he hadn't done that completely since getting home) and put all the stuff he will need for his mission in one place so that he can find it easily when he is getting ready to go back, and re-packed his suitcases with some of his college stuff. So Jared had a busy day too! By the end of the day I was aching all over but all the Christmas stuff was put away and the house was much cleaner. (We vacuumed too.)
Tuesday: Tanner wasn't feeling well at all on Monday, so I called Tuesday morning to get him a doctor appointment. Jared was starting to feel better and he and Jessie had planned to go to lunch that day. She had an appointment in the morning and then her dad dropped her off at our house. She and Jared worked on the puzzle for a while and played some Mario Kart, and then they went to lunch. Jared took her partway home when they were done (they met her Dad halfway between here and her house...she lives about 30 minutes from here.) Meanwhile, Seth went back to school, Frank went back to work (even though he still wasn't feeling great) and I got all my regular Tuesday chores done. After I picked Seth up from school I took Tanner to the doctor. They took a strep test because his throat was a little red. He doesn't have strep, though, so the doctor gave him a prescription for an antibiotic that he could fill if he still didn't feel better in a few days. He didn't fill it before he left for Utah yesterday, but he may fill it when he gets out there. He still wasn't feeling very well when he left yesterday. He may just have a virus, though. That evening we had den meeting and afterwards I had Cub Committee meeting. For den meeting, I started working on an adventure with the Bears where they learn to use tools and they will make two things out of wood. For this den meeting, I had Jared come help me and we taught them safety rules and showed them how to use a saw, a screwdriver, a hammer, a measuring tape, and sandpaper. We had them wear safety goggles too. Here are a few pictures:
I have two Bears now. One of them turned 9 in November, and the other one turned 9 at the end of December. The other little boy that I have had for the last several months (mostly by himself) just turned 10 this week.
While the Bears were working with tools, the Webelos were working on this little engineering project:
They put a ball in the top and got it to land in a basket on the floor.
Wednesday: I got grocery shopping done and went to the religion class. I also worked on some Cub Scout stuff. Frank had called the doctor back on Tuesday because she told him to call back in a few days if he wasn't feeling a lot better and he wasn't feeling a lot better. They called in a new prescription for him so he picked that up Wednesday morning, as well as Seth's medicine which I had been trying to get refilled. After school, I had Seth work on his Pinewood Derby car--just design it. He is going to make one that looks like the Batmobile. This day was a little less busy and I worked on the puzzle a little bit. I also had to convince Tanner and Jared that they really needed to pack!
Thursday: We got going pretty early because Tanner & Jared needed to be at the airport by about 9:30 for their 11:20 flight. There was a possibility for snow in the morning so we had to get up early enough to allow us some extra travel time, in case the roads were bad. We did get about an inch of snow overnight and it was brutally cold. School was delayed 2 hours and then they decided to cancel it completely (probably because it was so cold, so they knew the snow and ice wasn't going to melt). Because school and a lot of governments were shut down or delayed, the traffic wasn't bad at all. The roads were pretty good too--a few slick spots, but once we got on the interstate they were completely clear. The only problem I had with the drive to the airport and back was keeping my windshield clean. The roads had been treated and a lot of salt, dirt and water was hitting the windshield. I had plenty of windshield wiper fluid (Frank and I had just filled it up on Monday) but the fluid had frozen in the lines so I couldn't get it to work. We stopped at one point at a gas station to get some hot water to pour on the place where the fluid comes out and we managed to get one side working but the other one only worked sporadically (mostly not at all) and of course it was the driver's side that wasn't working! But anyway, I got the boys to the airport in plenty of time and got home safely. I miss having Tanner & Jared here, but on the bright side--I had a lot less laundry to do on Thursday! The house seemed kind of quiet, even though Seth was home all day. Frank was at work all day, too. I got the regular chores done and worked on the puzzle some more. Last night at bedtime Seth started complaining that his head and stomach hurt, and then he threw up so we had him sleep in our room last night.
Today: Seth seems to be feeling a lot better today but I am keeping him home from school, just in case. So far he has had soda and crackers and hasn't had any trouble with that yet. School was delayed 2 hours today, probably because of the extreme wind chills and the roads are probably a bit icy. Seth's school gets out an hour early on Fridays so even if he went to school, he'd only be there for 3 1/2 hours. I doubt he is missing much! We are supposed to continue to have really frigid temperatures over the next couple of days. I think Tuesday is supposed to get up into the 40s, and that is going to feel really warm!!
2018 hasn't started out being very healthy for most of us, but I'm hoping that will change and that it will be a good year! :)






No comments:
Post a Comment