Friday, March 30, 2018

Weekly Review March 30 '18

This week was calmer. At least, we didn't get any snowstorms! Here is what we did:

Saturday: Seth had swimming lessons as usual. It was mostly a normal Saturday, except Frank took Seth to get his hair cut. His hair looks a lot better now, but it still sticks up a lot, no matter what we do. I always tell him that he has "Harry Potter hair".

Sunday: Wow, I am really not remembering what we did over the weekend! I know we kept busy, but there is not a lot listed in my planner. I had choir practice before church as usual, and the choir sang in Sacrament Meeting that day. I guess it was just a nice relaxing Sunday because I can't remember much about it.

Monday: The new cookbooks arrived so I spent some time looking through them. There are a lot of good recipes in there and I am looking forward to trying a lot of new things. I still haven't looked through them as thoroughly as I would like to do. My friend who had gall bladder surgery last week has had a really rough recovery so I took her kids to school in the mornings and picked them up after school every day except Wednesday (she had another friend who helped her that day). Their dad gets home from work about 4:30 so they were only here for an hour or less most days. Maybe  you'll remember from a while back that I have been reading a book about kids with ADHD and other problems that might be able to help Seth with some of his symptoms. I finally finished preparing to do the assessments on him on Monday so after family night that evening I started doing the assessments with him. I only did a few of them and I have a lot more to do so it will take us a week or two to get through them all. I was going to do some more with him on Wednesday but he was kind of having a meltdown that night so I decided to wait and do them another time!

Tuesday: This was a fairly busy day, with all the usual things plus I gathered up supplies for den meeting and worked on the hat that I've been crocheting. I worked on it on Wednesday too and it is all done except for the band and the bow. It actually looks like a hat!! I need to take a picture of it, but I haven't done that yet.

Wednesday: I enjoyed going to my religion class again after missing two weeks (one for a field trip and last week we didn't meet because of the snow storm). Between the class and going shopping for groceries, Wednesdays always go by really fast.

Thursday: I planned this day to be another indexing / temple / family history day. I did some indexing and read a lot in a book I have about temple symbols. It was really nice and I still managed to get all the other regular chores done afterwards. I also had to return books to the library that day and since a brand new building just opened a few weeks ago in Walkersville (just north of us) I went to that branch so that I could see the new building. It is really nice--about 5 times bigger than the old building (which was tiny) with nice big windows, comfortable chairs to sit in, and even a big fireplace. There are lots of cool things for the kids to play on it the kid's section, too. I noticed that the community room is named after someone I know! He's in our stake and he was assigned to be the high councilman for our ward for a while back when I was RS president. He worked somewhere high up in the library system and he just retired recently. I think it's nice they named a room after him!

Friday: Today there is no school. We're on "spring break". They only get today and Monday off this year and the weather is still not very spring like. Yesterday was actually quite nice and today hasn't been bad either although the last time I went out I noticed the temperature had dropped quite a bit. We might get some snow showers on Monday. So much for spring break! Anyway, today was going to be super crazy but ended up being a little less crazy than I thought. My ukulele class ended up getting postponed, which helped. My friend Renata needed someone to watch her kids last minute this morning so they came over here for about an hour. Then I took Seth to play at his friend Krish's house. He is still there--won't be home until 5:00. I got the budget done mostly while Renata's kids were here. When I got back from dropping off Seth, I finished the budget and then swept & mopped the kitchen floor. (I usually do that on Saturdays, but I know tomorrow will be busy because of General Conference.) Then I went to lunch with my friend Rebekah. We used to go to lunch about once a month but since she got a job working for the school district at lunch time, we haven't been able to do that very often anymore. It occurred to me yesterday that she would be off work for spring break, so I texted her and we got things set up to go to lunch today. I really haven't been able to talk to her much for months, so it was nice to get caught up. Frank is picking up Sam now to bring him here for the weekend. He can't drive himself down here because yesterday someone wrecked his car. He was at lunch and when he came back out, his car was all bashed up. So whoever hit his car didn't even stick around! Hopefully they will catch whoever it was.

As you can see, there wasn't a lot going on this week but that was definitely nice for a change! Just a few notes about some of the other things that are going on, though. Frank applied for several positions at work and he has interviews for 2 of them this week. Most of the other people in his group got chosen to interview for only 1 position, and at least one of them didn't get any interviews. So that is really not looking so great. Hopefully he will get one of those 2 positions! I think everything will work out somehow, but it's a bit stressful right now. I think more stressful for Frank than for me.

We've had quite a bit of rain this week. It's raining right now, actually. Overall, it's been a bit on the chilly side and the coming week looks about the same. I will be happy when things warm up a bit! I saw on the weather channel yesterday that the first few days of March were above average for our area but the rest of the month of March every day has been below average. We actually had a higher average temperature in February this year than we did in March! Most of the trees are not budding yet. Hopefully spring will come some day!

I am happy to announce that after exercising diligently for over 2 years, that on Monday I finally got down to my "ideal weight" (at least, according to the Wii). I'm not sure if all the exercise finally paid off, or if drinking a lot more water helped, or if cutting back on my carbs is what finally did the trick (maybe all three?), but whatever the reason I am glad to be there! Hopefully I can maintain it. I definitely still have extra fat on me, but I have made some progress and that feels good. Frank seems to have hit a bit of a plateau with his weight the last week or two but he has definitely lost a lot of weight in the last few months. I'm sure as he continues to exercise and eat well that he will continue to lose weight.

We've spent quite a bit of time over the last week trying to figure out what bed we are going to buy for Jared's bedroom. Last week I thought we were going to buy a bunk bed with a futon on the bottom but when I went and looked at those options closer, I discovered that all of those bunk beds were more for kids and the wouldn't hold up the weight of a couple of average adults. Now I think we are going to go with a daybed that pulls out to full size but the one we want to get hasn't been in stock. Frank's parents are going to be here next weekend so hopefully we'll figure something out before then.

That's all the news I can think of. I didn't take any pictures this week. We're glad Dad is doing a little better. We will keep praying for him!!

No comments: