Friday, September 14, 2018

Weekly Review September 14 '18

We have barely seen the sun for days and probably won't see it much again until sometime next week, but we are not getting hit by Hurricane Florence so I'm not going to complain. I miss the sun, but it will come back! We had some fairly cool temperatures over the weekend and it rained like crazy but early in the week it warmed back up to the 80s, which is where we've been all week. It is very humid, too, which isn't the best but it could be worse.  That's the weather report!

I don't think there's a lot to talk about this week--mostly we had the usual stuff. On Saturday Seth went to a birthday party for a girl in his class at school. They have been in the same school class together since they started school at age 3! The party was at a make your own pottery place and Seth got to paint a pottery piece. He won't get it back for a while since it has to be fired and everything. He had a good time at the party. Meanwhile, I visited my friend Wanda. I kept busy the rest of the day with some projects I'm working on (scanning my mission pictures and a project for Christmas) and I also transferred all the patches from Seth's Cub Scout shirt to his Scout shirt.

On Sunday we had a special Stake Conference with a member of the Quorum of the Seventy visiting. The meeting was broadcast from the stake center to our ward's building, so we just went to our building for the meeting. It was really good! This Sunday we have Stake Conference again--our regular Stake Conference this time!

Seth did not have school on Monday (I know, a day off already!) because it was Rosh Hashanah. (They get some of the Jewish holidays off--he gets Yom Kippur off this coming week.) It rained really hard on Saturday and Sunday so by Monday the river was flooding.




It wasn't the highest I've ever seen it, but it was pretty high. I took the second picture from the top of a hill and then turned around and took the picture of the row of townhouses, just to give you an idea of how close the flooding was to our house. (Our house is the third from the left--last one you can really see before the tree gets in the way.) We were feeling kind of anxious about flooding on Monday because at that point they were still saying that we could get major rain and flooding from Hurricane Florence. Since then, the storm track changed and I'm not even sure we are going to get any rain from Florence, but we might get some. The river has gone back down now so even if we get a lot more rain I don't think it's going to be a problem. Anyway, on Monday we decided to pull out our 72 hour kits and make sure they were ready to go, just in case. We put them, along with some cases of MREs and some bottled water, upstairs in Jared's room so that they are more accessible.

On Tuesday Seth went back to school and it has been a pretty normal school week. When Seth gets home from school each day, we work on Brain Balance stuff. Then I make dinner (Frank gets it started for me sometimes while I am working with Seth) and Seth gets to have some screen time. In the evening we have been reading together every night and we only have one chapter left in Little House in the Big Woods. He's been enjoying the book and it has been fun for me to read some books with him that I really loved when I was a child.

On Tuesday evening Frank was gone doing work for a client. When he came home he noticed Snickers was lying at the bottom of the stairs (Seth and I were upstairs reading). Snickers wouldn't follow him up the stairs; he acted like he couldn't do it. I went down and started to pick him up to carry him up the stairs, and he yelped a couple of times. I put him back down and then picked him up again more carefully and that time he seemed okay but when we got him upstairs it was obvious he was in pain--he was shivering and panting. We thought we were going to have to take him in to be seen that night but then after a little while he settled down so we decided to wait and take him into the vet the next morning. After examining him all over, the vet decided that it was his back that was hurting. She doesn't think it's anything serious--he may have just strained it somehow. They gave us some muscle relaxant and some pain medication to give him for the next week and hopefully by then he will be doing better. I did get him to follow me up the stairs last night so that is a good sign. I have noticed the last few weeks that he has been somewhat hesitant to go up the stairs, so I think this has been coming on for a while. We are just relieved that it wasn't anything really serious.

Besides taking Snickers to the vet, I did all the usual things including the religion class. That evening was Back to School night as Seth's school so I went to that to hear what his teacher had to say. /We didn't have den meetings, so that worked out well.

Yesterday one of my ministering sisters came to see me in the evening. During the day, I had some "temple time"--I read a chapter in a book I have about temple symbols (it's very scholarly, with lots of notes so it takes a long time to read a chapter; it's very interesting though and I am learning a lot) and then I did some indexing. I was indexing burial records for a parish in the UK in the late 1700s and it was so sad how many burials I saw for multiple children in the same family! I am grateful for modern medicine!

Today I got the budget done and I have been able to talk to Amy for a little while, which has been nice. We are feeding the missionaries tonight and we are trying to work out meeting up with Tanner's girlfriend sometime today or tomorrow because she is visiting Washington DC this weekend.

In between everything else, I have been working on scanning my mission pictures (I've done a lot, but I have a lot more to go) and I'm working on another personal history blog post too. I've been practicing ukulele a lot and Frank and I have continued to exercise every day. I have been trying some new salad recipes and some of them are really good. Here's the one we tried last night:


It's one of my favorites so far--bacon, shrimp, cherry tomatoes, celery, red onion, yellow bell pepper, and feta cheese. Yum!

That's it for this week--I told you there hasn't been a lot going on!

No comments: