Friday, January 3, 2020

Weekly Review January 3 '20

When I left off last week, we were planning to have the Hatch family over for dinner. In the midst of updating the budget and starting dinner preparations, I got a phone call and when I saw who it was I immediately realized that I had forgotten that Seth had a play date that afternoon! A boy in the ward had a birthday the day after Christmas and his mom had invited Seth and a couple of other boys to meet at the park to play on Friday. It wasn't really a party, but I had told her that Seth would come. But then I forgot all about it!! So Frank took Seth to the park while I finished the budget and got dinner going. We had a fun evening with the Hatch family, eating dinner and playing some games. But of course I forgot to take pictures!

On Saturday the 28th I had a hair appointment. Frank had cleaning at the church that morning...it's not our ward's turn again until March. Jared & Jessie came over for a while in the afternoon but they had dinner plans so didn't stay too long. Scott wanted to walk around downtown Frederick...that and seeing the Christmas lights at the temple were the two things he said he wanted to do while he was here. So after dinner, Scott, Seth and I drove downtown. Frank was tired and his back and knee were hurting, so he didn't want to walk around. During the winter months, they have a bunch of small lit up boats in Carroll Creek, so we saw those first. Then we walked up and down Market Street for several blocks and visited all the stores that looked interesting to us. There are a ton of unique little shops and restaurants in that part of town. It's really cool and I should go down there more often (I drive through there frequently, and always wish I had time to get out and explore). So anyway, it was pretty fun. One of the places we stopped was a place called the Pop Shop, which has tons of unique brands / types of soda pop. Scott bought a bottle for each of us...mine is pumpkin spice, but I keep forgetting to drink it! (It wasn't cold when we bought it, and it said on the bottle that it is best chilled, so I didn't want to drink it then.)






  
Scott's flight back to Utah was very early on Sunday the 29th. Frank took him to the airport. I got up to tell him goodbye, and then I didn't go back to sleep for quite a while. But I did get a little more sleep before I had to get up to get ready for church. We're so glad Scott could come spend Christmas week with us!! It was so nice to have him here; he is really fun to have around. Jared & Jessie came to church with us and then came over afterwards to have some lunch and play some games. Frank took a nap, but the rest of us played a new game that I got for Christmas called Time Line, and it was pretty fun. Then Jared & Jessie taught us how to play a card game called Palace, which was also fun. Frank woke up in time to play a few rounds of that with us. After Jared & Jessie left, I worked on a bunch of stuff for my music and Primary activities callings, and we had family night.

Frank went back to work on Monday the 30th. Seth had a Deacon's quorum service project that morning...they cleaned all the sacrament trays. I dropped him off at the church and then ran to the store to get some things. When I got back, they weren't done, so I helped them finish cleaning the trays. The rest of the day I was pretty busy with all the regular chores, plus working on the tax training. I guess I could say that about every day this week--I worked on regular chores and I did a chapter of the tax training too. I'm making progress, though, and only have 5 more chapters to go. Monday was especially busy because I also took down all the Christmas decorations. Frank had some work to do for clients, as well as some billing after he got home from work so I did most of the decorations myself. I miss the beautiful decorations, but it was good to vacuum, sweep, and dust during that process / afterwards. The house looks a lot cleaner and less cluttered!

I'm actually having a hard time remembering much about Tuesday the 31st, other than Seth slept pretty late so I already had a lot of chores done by the time he got up. I know I kept busy all day. Oh, and the other Primary activities leader came over that afternoon so we could plan our next couple of activities. That evening was New Year's Eve, of course. We did the usual...had a dinner of appetizers while we watched movies and put together a jigsaw puzzle. I know...we're such party animals!! Jared came over for a while and helped with the puzzle but Jessie was at a party that a friend was having, and Jared joined her there after visiting with us for a few hours. Frank had been up early for work so he didn't even try to stay up until midnight, so that meant I was elected to stay up with Seth. I mostly worked on the puzzle while Seth watched The Sandlot and then Prince Caspian. I didn't buy a new puzzle this year...it occurred to me that we have about 10 - 15 puzzles already and I could just pull out one of the ones we made several years ago and make it again. It's not like we remember where all the pieces go! :) We didn't make much progress on it that evening, really, but we did get the outside edge done and started working on the inside.


I stopped working on it about 11:45 and watched Prince Caspian with Seth. We took this selfie right after midnight to send to Tanner and Scott with the caption "Greetings from 2020":


The movie wasn't over yet, so we stayed up until it ended and didn't get to bed until 12:45ish. I took this picture of the puzzle before going to bed:


Seth woke us up on Wednesday January 1st 2020 at about 5:45 am to tell us that he had just thrown up...on his bedroom floor. What a great way to start the new year!! After doing our best to clean up the mess (we still need to rent a carpet cleaner), Frank remembered something he needed to check on his computer for work, Seth went back to sleep in a sleeping bag on our floor, and I tried to go back to sleep but I was too wide awake by then. So I finally gave up and got up and worked on the puzzle. Frank helped, but he had to go into work to solve a problem too. I worked on the puzzle, with some help from Frank, until we finished it around noon.






And yes...there's a piece missing!! (Can you spot it?) I guess that's what I get for pulling out an old puzzle. I don't think it was missing a piece the first time we made it, but the piece got lost at some point. It still looks pretty good, though, don't you think? Meanwhile, when Seth woke up he felt fine and after keeping down ginger ale and then crackers, he moved on to regular food by late afternoon and he's been fine since. After we finished the puzzle, I showered and got a couple of worthwhile things done, like working on the tax course (which was quite a feat, since I never had a nap and I struggle to stay awake even when I've had a decent night's sleep...which I definitely didn't have the night before.) At some point, I made myself our traditional New Year's Eve frappe:


It's supposed to be made from ginger ale and lime sherbet, but apparently they don't sell lime sherbet anymore (not at Wal-Mart, anyway) so I used rainbow sherbet instead.

Thursday January 2nd was back to normal life for everyone. Seth went to school and Frank went to work and I had a ton of stuff to do. I needed to do the grocery shopping, which I usually do on Wednesdays, in addition to all the usual stuff I do on Thursdays. Plus I needed to go to the storage unit to find a few things that Tanner wanted me to send back with Jared and my friend Wanda called and needed some things from the store too. So I was actually barely home all day because I was running around getting all that stuff done. That's good, though, because otherwise I would have been alone in the house with a bunch of cookies, candy, chips, soda, and other junk food. (Although I still ate plenty of those things this week, I'm afraid.) I still managed to get a chapter of the tax course done before I had to pick up Seth from school. He is doing safety patrol this week and next, which means I have a few extra minutes before I need to pick him up since he doesn't finish his safety patrol job until a few minutes after dismissal ends. When I picked him up on Thursday, we went directly from there to meet Jared, Jessie, and all of Jessie's family including her grandparents at a restaurant for dinner. Frank had to go directly from work to do work for a client that afternoon / evening, so he wasn't able to come. It was Jared & Jessie's last evening here, so we wanted to spend as much time with them as possible. They came back to our house afterwards and stayed to visit with us until shortly after Frank got home. Meanwhile, Seth and I had to leave because I had Primary Activities and Seth had YM so we said our goodbyes to Jared & Jessie. For our activity, we did short spotlights on the new girls who just came in (the girls who are turning 8 this year, who are also the girls from my Primary class so that's fun for me) and then we played a game to help all the girls get to know each other better. I think it was fun. Meanwhile, Seth was helping plan YM activities for the next 6 months.

Jared & Jessie had an early flight today (Friday January 3rd). I heard they got home okay, although they weren't too happy when they got home to discover that the workers who installed new bathroom and kitchen floors in their apartment while they were gone had left a huge mess and they had also left their doors unlocked and open!! So they spent a couple of hours cleaning but thankfully nothing was stolen from their apartment and the new floors look nice. I spent the day working on the tax course and on the budget. Frank had to be at a store really early this morning (and yesterday morning too) and he just got home from work about 10 minutes ago (it's 8:30 pm) so he had a really long day.

My back has been hurting so much this week that I haven't been able to jog for a half hour each morning as I normally do. I have been doing some other exercises on the Wii that helps loosen my back up a bit so it doesn't hurt quite so much, and then I'm able to jog for 10 minutes, or sometimes 20 minutes. I guess I am going to have to go to a doctor soon to try to figure out what's going on with my back. Or maybe get a new mattress first and see how much that helps!!

I'm using my new tablet now and I like it but there are things about the calendar that are different and it makes it a lot harder for me to look back and see what I've done so I'm having to rely on my memory more when writing these posts, which means I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things. I wish the calendar on the new tablet was the same as the one I had on my old one. Sometimes updates are not an improvement!

That's it for this week...hope you all have a happy and healthy 2020.

No comments: