Well, let's see...I guess I'll start with Frank. As I mentioned last week, he worked Friday night as well as Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday nights this week. The Friday night job turned out to be a bust because the contractor was drilling a hole and hit a water line and caused a flood. So he couldn't finish the job but Frank still had to stay up all night...supervising the emergency plumber, who came to fix the damaged water line. That means Frank will have to go back to that store another night for the drive thru timer install, so that is a bummer. Sunday night he had a digital menu install and Monday night he had a POS install (only one left!). The Wednesday night job was a cabling job and didn't take long so he was able to get home by about 1:00 am. He took Wednesday during the day off from Roy Rogers because he has built up so many extra hours, but he didn't get any rest. Instead, he had some work to do for two of his clients...one in southern Maryland and one in Virginia. He ended up being gone all day and since he was already in Virginia and the restaurant where he had the cabling job on Wednesday night was also in Virginia, he ended up not coming home in between. (He would have been home about one hour and then would have had to turn around and go back.) I feel like I've barely seen him this week so I'm glad it's almost the weekend.
Seth had Tuesday off of school for election day. Originally, I'm sure school was out because they use the schools for polling places. I guess they decided to keep it a day off so that it would be easier for the teachers to go vote (as well as parents who would normally be supervising their kids' school work). He enjoyed having a day off and I enjoyed not having to supervise him! Other than that, he had a quiet week. He didn't have a Deacon's activity this week (they decided not to meet since it was a day off school and at least one of the boys was out of town). This is the last week of the term so they are winding things up and I feel like he didn't have as much work to do. He finished his school work early on more than one day. I checked his grades today and they all look good...including PE. He did better on the last few quizzes and his teacher also added in points for class participation and he got 100% for that. So now his grade is a high B.
Seth did get sick one night this week...I guess it was Tuesday night...in the middle of the night. He said his head did not hurt this time, so who knows why he got sick to his stomach. He only threw up once and then went back to sleep and was fine the next day. Unfortunately, I did not go right back to sleep but instead stayed awake for a couple of hours, so I was pretty tired on Wednesday.
I actually haven't felt really great this past week...I've had headaches a few days and my stomach hurt a lot the first couple of days this week too. I'm feeling fine now, though, and I think it was probably hormonal (the headaches, anyway). I've been busy with all the usual stuff...housework, supervising Seth, reading, crocheting, projects, and BYU education week presentations. I finished reading Smoky the Cowhorse. I got the book for book chat from the library on Wednesday and I'm well into it already. It's going to be an easy read and I'm enjoying it so far. I got all of the home movies digitized except for the ones that are still on tape (instead of DVD). I still have to figure out how to get those transferred off of the tapes but I need Frank to help me with that and he hasn't been around much (and when he is around, he's exhausted...or sleeping.) I made some progress with the afghan I was crocheting but then ran into another problem...or thought I had. I was concerned that the edges of the afghan were not looking even at all, and I thought I must be doing something wrong so I was looking at that more closely trying to figure out what to do. I finally realized that I just wasn't looking at it right! This particular afghan is a ripple afghan (zigzag pattern), which I've never done before. So I had a good laugh at myself over that, and I'm relieved that I don't have to take out a bunch of rows and start over again. Here's some photos of how it looked early this week:
And here it is now:
I haven't made it very far yet but now that I've worked out all the bugs it should go more quickly. (I will need to change colors several times...it's not going to be plain cream colored).
On Saturday I got the skirt I'm working on back out and I cut out the two back pieces. I didn't have a lot of time to work on it and I wasn't feeling really great (one of my headache days) so that's all I did that day. The two front pieces are going to be a bit trickier, but once I get those done I only have the yoke (waistband) pieces left to cut out and those will be a bit easier.
On Saturday we made shrimp tacos for lunch, using the new little grill. They were so yummy!! I will definitely be making those again!
Saturday was Halloween, of course, but it sure wasn't very exciting at our house. Seth's last year to trick or treat was last year, so no dressing up for anyone at our house. We turned on our porch light to welcome trick or treaters from 6:00 to 8:30 and we had a grand total of two trick or treaters come by. Two!! The number of trick or treaters in our neighborhood has been dwindling the last several years and I expected that there would be a lot fewer this year because of Covid-19, but I didn't anticipate there would be practically none. I bought a lot less candy this year, thankfully, but we still have a lot of leftovers (of course) that I am trying not to eat. We're planning to take the leftovers to NC with us for Thanksgiving...to eat in the car and to share with others!
I watched the first half of the BYU football game that night, which turned out to be perfect since the first half was super exciting (5 BYU touchdowns) and it looks like the second half was really boring (only 2 BYU field goals and the other team only scored once.) It also helped that we were "falling back" that night so even though I was up until midnight, it was the same as staying up until 11:00.
I got released from both of my church callings on Sunday and sustained to my new calling as a YW advisor. My class did have an online activity on Tuesday, so I went to that. In honor of "Dias los Muertos" we were asked to come prepared to share a family story. I wanted to share either "Miracle at the Crossing" or "Ruth and the Christmas Doll", but by the time it was my turn we were almost out of time so instead I told the story of Dad killing the turkey (which they all loved) and promised to send them the other two stories to read. All the other stories that were shared were really good, too (mostly funny stories). I'm going to enjoy this group of girls! Today I spent some time talking to the young adult who is replacing me as ward music chair, explaining what the responsibilities are for that calling.
I've been busy with a lot of other little things like gathering family photos for an upcoming RS activity, setting up dentist and hair cut appointments and calling the pharmacy to find out why Seth's prescription hasn't been filled yet (his medicine has been on order for over 2 weeks!). I also needed to contact Walmart because the order I picked up last week was not "tagged" as picked up for some reason. I never got a receipt for it and then on Saturday I got an email saying that my order had been cancelled. But don't worry...I hadn't been charged for it. Free groceries! Awesome!! Just kidding...I try to be honest, so I decided I'd better call them. Except guess what? No one at my local Walmart answers the phone, apparently. I tried several times and finally got to talk to a human being on Wednesday. The guy I talked to said "Hmm. That's weird. I'll have to talk to the people in charge of the app to see if they can fix that." He also thanked me for my honesty. But so far, that order has not been changed. It still says "cancelled" when I look it up and our credit card hasn't been charged for it. Meanwhile, I picked up another order yesterday and that one hasn't been tagged as picked up yet either!! It still says "ready for pick up" even though I picked it up over 24 hours ago. So I tried to call again today about that one, but once again...the phone just rings and rings and no one answers it. So frustrating, and so strange!! I've been doing a weekly order since school started and have not had this problem until now.
I'm still enjoying BYU education week presentations...definitely well worth the $49 I paid for access to these classes! I watched one about insulin dependence, one about symbolism of the atonement (excellent!!) and another about doing things we don't think we can do or don't want to do. It was excellent too. My favorite quote from that one is "It's not about understanding the reason for the commandment (talking about commandments we don't understand or agree with), it's about knowing and trusting the Commander (God)." Yes, yes, yes! That's how I've always felt, but haven't been able to put into words. I've probably forgotten a few other presentations; I think I watched more than 3.
I have this game I like to play called "Just 2 Words". You try to figure out what the photos represent...usually a familiar two word phrase or compound word; sometimes a famous person's name. I usually only do one puzzle each day (although you can do as many as you want). I laughed at the irony on Wednesday morning when the puzzle I happened to be on turned out to be this one:
Nope, no one in this presidential election is going to be able to claim a landslide victory! My plan for coping with the election results (or lack of results or whining about the results...) this week has been to avoid watching or reading the news. I'm a lot happier that way!!
After it got really cold last weekend, it has warmed up again this week and has been really quite pleasant. It's beautiful outside and I keep taking photos but then being disappointed that the photos don't look anywhere near as beautiful as it is in reality. But here are a few of the photos I took this week, to finish up.
















1 comment:
I always enjoy your outdoor pictures. I thought they were beautiful and it helps me to connect to you and where you live.
Post a Comment