Friday, April 23, 2021

Weekly Review April 23 '21

Life is definitely getting busier! It's mostly good, though. 

Last Friday I took Seth to the doctor for a medicine check up. The doctor decided to change his medication slightly...he's been on a quick release version for a couple of years but we are going to go back to a slower release version and see how that goes. (That means it stays in his system longer.) The biggest concern is that it may interfere with his ability to sleep at night, so we'll see how that goes. I decided I would rather try it now than next fall when he's in high school and needs to get up really early! It would be nice to have more "coverage time", but not if he doesn't get enough sleep. So we'll try it and see what happens. They are also slightly concerned about his weight because he's only gained a pound but grown a lot (he's 5' 5" now), so he's kind of "falling off the charts", weight-wise. (I wish I had that problem!) 

While we were at the doctor, I almost got my first Covid shot because the doctor had someone cancel their appointment to get one earlier that day so he thought they might have an extra dose. But then when he checked, someone else had already got it. I was disappointed, but then on Thursday I got an email from the county health department saying they had appointments available (I registered with them months ago) so I am scheduled for my first dose tomorrow. I'm getting the Moderna vaccine. Hopefully I won't be one of those people who feels terrible afterwards! But even if I am, I'm just glad I'm finally getting this done and will be fully vaccinated in about 6 weeks. 

Seth's school had a plumbing problem crop up on Friday afternoon and they ended up sending all the kids home early. Seth wasn't at school in person that day, of course, but since they sent all the teachers home too he didn't have his PE class that afternoon. The plumbing problem did not get resolved until Tuesday afternoon, so he had all virtual school this week. That messed up my volunteering plans but otherwise wasn't too much of an inconvenience. I had planned to meet my friend Rebekah at a park on Monday morning to visit but Frank was able to work from home that day so I was still able to visit with her. 

Back to the weekend...on Saturday Frank wanted to make some potstickers but he needed to buy a few things for that. I told him to buy the things I needed for empanadas so that I could make those, as long as he was going to the store. Frank made potstickers and I made empanadas, and they were both really good! 



Unfortunately, a few hours after making the potstickers Frank got sick...he had an upset stomach, headache, and chills. He felt pretty rotten the rest of the day on Saturday and all of Sunday too but he felt better on Monday. Neither Seth nor I caught whatever he had, thankfully! Seth and I went to church on Sunday but Frank did not. Seth and I both had class presidency meetings after church. 

On Monday afternoon I had a YW presidency meeting which once again we did online and once again it was long! The trouble is, we all like each other too much so we enjoy talking to each other. Plus we still have a lot of things to figure out. But I think eventually our meetings will be shorter, and we probably won't need to meet every week either. This time we had to talk a lot about Girls' Camp and we were able to decide on dates. (This year each ward is doing their own camp, and it's a day camp, not an overnight camp.) Our ward is actually combining with the Spanish branch for camp so the YW president of the branch came to part of our meeting to talk over a few things with us. We had talked briefly before she joined us and had decided we would prefer to do 3 days and had also picked our preferred dates. Then when she talked to us, we found out that they had picked the same week as us as their top choice and they also wanted to do 3 days. So that was great, that we were already on the same page. We chose the week right after school gets out in June, though, so we don't have a ton of time to plan. The other thing that was great about our meeting is that we had a decision that we had all been praying about since our last meeting and it turns out we all got the same answer to that prayer. I'm sure it's not always going to be so easy! 😊 We are getting a secretary on Sunday so it will be nice to have a full presidency. 

For FHE on Monday evening we went through our 72 hour kits and took out things we don't want in there (expired food; clothes Seth has grown out of). We got out one of our MREs and let Seth taste it and he thought it was pretty good. I want to spend some of our tax return on getting some food storage items. 

Seth and I both had virtual youth activities on Tuesday evening. For Seth's activity, they shared Lego creations that they had made. For my class activity we were supposed to do a home-based service scavenger hunt but only two girls were able to come and we just ended up talking the whole time. It was a lot of fun, though! We were all laughing so hard. It felt good to have the chance to get to know a couple of the girls better. 

I had my echocardiogram on Wednesday afternoon, which went fine. The results for my stress test came back last Friday and they were normal, so that is good news. I have a follow up with the cardiologist in May to discuss all the test results, but I doubt they picked anything up. We'll see what he says. Meanwhile, I just have to say after watching my heart beat for about 30 minutes (during the echo) that the heart is a wonderful feat of engineering! So amazing that it can keep beating constantly for decades!! 

Frank had an overnight cabling job on Wednesday night but he ended up not being gone very long because they determined that they weren't going to be able to do it. It was nice that he was home before 1:00 am instead of being gone all night. I didn't really do anything out of the ordinary yesterday except last night I watched a movie called The Zookeeper's Wife. I read the book years ago so I was interested to see the movie. It made me cry at a few places, but it was mostly good. I also watched the first two episodes of The Chosen this week (I think maybe that was on Wednesday). I've been hearing a lot about it and kept meaning to start watching it. I did enjoy the first two episodes and I'm looking forward to watching the rest. 

I did a little bit of work for VITA this week from home, but not much. Mostly I just sorted through one taxpayer's mounds of medical bills to figure out how much of a deduction he could take. It was quite the piece of detective work! Hopefully next week will be better. I'm planning to go in on both Monday and Tuesday. There is so much work to finish and we are running out of time. 

I'm still reading The Wheel on the School and absolutely none of it sounds even remotely familiar, so I'm starting to wonder if I ever did read it when I was a child. I think I did, but it's kind of apalling how much I've forgotten. 

Today is our 29th anniversary so we are planning to celebrate tonight (if Seth will just get his school work done!). Frank took the day off work but he has been doing a lot of work for his business. I guess I will fill you in on how we celebrated when I write next week.

It's been cooler overall this week and we had a few nights with below freezing temperatures so we gave in and turned our heater back on. Looks like we're going to get up into the 80s next week though so we'll probably be turning it back off pretty soon. We've had more rain and it's mostly been cloudy but today is sunny and nice. Whenever I go anywhere, I really enjoy all the beautiful blooming trees everywhere (and thankfully my allergies haven't been bad either). I love spring! 


That brings you up to date on everything we've been doing (or everything I can remember, anyway). 

No comments: