Friday, May 21, 2021

Weekly Review May 21 '21

This week was farily busy too.

On Friday after I finished last week's post, I worked on some tax returns and got 2 or 3 done. I didn't end up doing any on Saturday because someone else was supposed to be working on them too and I was waiting to hear which ones they were going to do so we wouldn't duplicate our efforts.

On Saturday, I had a lot of stuff to do for YW. We also finalized our travel plans for the summer and purchased airline tickets for Utah. We will be going to NC for a long weekend as well. This summer vacation is really short, so it was hard to find times that worked for everyone but we got it figured out. Besides that, I also practiced ukulele, cleaned the kitchen floor, we did some stuff we need to do to set up an investment account, I called a friend to set up taking dinner to her this week, and I spent a lot of time going through photos of Seth for an 8th grade slide show. They are going to have a promotion ceremony in June for all the kids finishing 8th grade, and as part of that ceremony they want to have a slide show with 8 -10 photos of each of the 8th graders. So I needed to choose photos of Seth to send to the parent who is creating the slide show. That took a lot longer than I expected, but I did get it done. We planted a tomato plant in our garden and pulled some weeds and Seth mowed the lawn. While he was doing that, he noticed that one of the wheels on the mower wasn't turning anymore (it's self-propelled) so now we have to return it and get a new one.

On Sunday we had our two hours of church in-person for the first time since March 2020. Our meeting time changed too...we don't go to church until 1:30 now, which I don't love but it's worth it to be able to meet in person again. Our governor lifted the mask mandate on Saturday, unexpectedly. Since our church leaders hadn't had a chance to discuss how to handle this, they asked us to wear masks and use all the regular precautions as usual on Sunday. It was really nice to have Sunday School in person though! Later this week we got an email saying that they are going to have a big regional meeting with all the leaders next week, so they still want us to wear masks to church and so forth until after that meeting. It is nice to be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, though!

Monday turned out to be a bit crazy. I went into VITA to finish reviewing a couple of tax returns which I got done. The rest of the returns were being completed by someone else so I didn't have to do anymore. But shortly after I got home, the site coordinator texted me and said the other person wasn't going to be able to do those returns after all and asked if there was any way I could do them. I told her I'd see what I could do. I reviewed one return, which took a long time because it was complicated and I had a few questions about it before I was ready to approve it, which I sent to the site coordinator. I started reviewing the next return which was also complicated (about 50 pages of documents to go through!) But after I got through sorting through all the documents and logged in to start the actual review, I discovered that it had been approved. And so had all the other remaining returns, including the one I had reviewed earlier. So I didn't have to do anymore. All I can figure is that the other person got them done after all. Or someone else did. I was a little annoyed that no one had let me know since I had spent a lot of time on those two reviews, but mostly I was just glad that everything was done and I didn't have to do anymore! 

Besides working on taxes, I also went to Walmart on Monday to get a few groceries. I was curious to see how many people would still be wearing masks. Since I am not fully vaccinated yet, I wore a mask. I saw a few people not wearing masks, but I'd say the majority (probably 90%) of people were still wearing them. I think we will see fewer and fewer people wearing them as time goes on...especially as more people get vaccinated. My second dose is tomorrow, so I only have 2 weeks left to go. I also set up an appointment for Seth to get his first dose of vaccine tomorrow. 

We usually have our family night lesson on Sundays and our activity on Mondays, and that's what we did this week. For our activity we played a game called the Amazing Labyrinth, which we've had a long time and played often. It's a kid's game but can be quite challenging. This time was funny because we ended in a 3 way tie...so everybody won!

Tuesday was the first day in a long time that I have been home alone for more than an hour or so, since most of the days Seth has had in-person school I have been going into VITA for a lot of the day. It was nice for a change but kind of strange. I noticed my house makes lots of noises...settling or whatever. Also my ice maker makes lots of noise! They've always made noises, I'd just forgotten what it was like because the house is never quiet anymore. Seth and I both had virtual youth activities that evening. My class played online Scattergories. Seth's class played online Boggle. 

Wednesday was quite busy from early afternoon on. First I had a YW presidency meeting and before that even ended I had to log on for an online doctor appointment for Seth. His medicine has not been working well so we needed to talk to the doctor about that. We decided to go back to his previous medication until school gets out, since we know the previous medication was working. We would like him to be able to have more hours each school day that he is on his medication once he's in high school though, so we may try a few other things over the summer to see if we can find anything that stays in his system longer but is still effective. After the doctor appointment ended, I made dinner for a friend and took it to her. Then I came home and finished making our dinner (most of it was already done), we ate, cleaned up, and then immediately had an online meeting with the missionaries who are serving in our ward. They wanted to practice teaching one of the discussions on us, since one of them is really new and needs practice. We enjoyed doing that. But as you can see, it was a busy afternoon / evening! At our YW presidency meeting we mostly talked about camp. Our bishop called a camp director for our ward (actually called her husband and YA daughter to help too, which is great). So she came to the meeting and filled us in on what is happening. I have been asked to help one of the youth camp leaders plan the food. I'm sure that will entail a decent amount of work, but it won't be too bad because camp is only going to be 2 days, plus a Saturday morning, and all the girls are bringing their own lunches and the families will be providing their own dinners one night. So that leaves one dinner and one breakfast to plan. We are only allowed to do prepackaged food or catering because of Covid restrictions. We ended up talking about it quite a bit during our meeting and we came up with a basic plan so I feel like it won't be too difficult to take that and go forward but I'm sure there will be unexpected snags!

Yesterday I kept pretty busy just doing the usual chores of laundry, grocery shopping, and vacuuming. I can't think of anything else to say about it--just that it was nice to have a day that was less crowded with stuff to do.

In between everything else I have been reading the book for book chat which is called The Good Neighbor and is about the life of Fred Rogers. It's fairly intersting, but kind of long and cumbersome. I think the author included too many details! (And if I say that, you know there are too many details!!) It has brought back some memories though of watching Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood as a kid. I remember thinking that show was pretty dumb, actually, but I did like some parts of it. Reading about it has been interesting--I can appreciate better now what he was trying to accomplish and I can see that it was actually really well done.

I also went online to purchase birthday gifts for Seth. Hard to believe he will be 14 in just one week!!

We've had some really hot days this week...a few in the 90s! But we've had a few 70s and 80s days too which I appreciate. Looking ahead, it looks like we are going to continue to bounce back and forth between the pleasant 70s or 80s and the hot 90s. I'm just glad we aren't staying in the 90s every day yet.

I guess I didn't take any photos this week and that's everything I can think of that we did so I will publish this post and go eat some lunch.

No comments: