Friday, February 10, 2023

Weekly Review February 10 '23

This week has been mostly sunny and mild. Yesterday and today have been particularly nice, with temperatures reaching up into the high 50s and low 60s. So strange for February, but I love it! As usual lately, temperatures are supposed to drop back down a bit this weekend and then go up again next week. 

There was quite a bit going on this week but I didn't take any pictures except a few of the sunrise on Tuesday, which was quite beautiful. Seth went outside to start the car and he stopped partway up the front walk and ran back inside to tell me that I needed to come out to see the sunrise. (It was all captured on the Ring camera...really cute!) I love it that he appreciates sunrises! 






 Anyway, going back to Saturday the 4th...I went to a stake choir practice first thing that morning. It was at one of the other church buildings in the stake, about 30 minutes away. I rode over to that with a couple of friends. We're preparing two songs to sing at stake conference, which is next weekend. A lot of people showed up to sing so that was really nice. I spent a good portion of the rest of the day working on our federal income tax return. It is mostly done but we need to track down a few more pieces of information. 

We had the usual meetings on Sunday except that I didn't need to have a YW class presidency meeting before church. After church Frank went with another brother in our ward to give a blessing to another ward member, who was in the hospital and scheduled for triple bypass surgery the next day. He was at a hospital in Baltimore so Frank was gone for about 3 hours. (1 hour drive each way, plus they visited with him for a while). 

I don't have anything out of the ordinary on the calendar for Monday, but I remember that I had a couple of errands to run, besides my usual grocery shopping trip. After I got back from errands, I called one of the sisters I minister to because I hadn't seen her at church and she is normally always there. She's in her 80s so I just thought it would be good to check on her. She was okay although she wasn't at church because her legs have been hurting a lot. She had a doctor appointment that afternoon to try to figure out what's wrong. (Turns out it's related to her arthritis but it's something new and she will need to go to a specialist to get treatment.) About 30 minutes after we talked, she called me back because another sister in the ward had just called her needing some help but of course she couldn't help her since she was on her way to the doctor (and she can't walk very well because of her legs). So I ended up calling my friend Sherrie and we went together to help this other sister, who was sick with diarrhea but also couldn't get out of bed. (She's older too and she is still recovering from some surgery and also fell last week.) I won't go into all the details but she was really weak so after trying to help her get to the bathroom and having to stop a couple of times for her to rest, we decided it would be better to give her a sponge bath. We got her all cleaned up and into fresh clothes. In the process of doing that, she said she thought she should go to the ER to get checked out which I thought was a good idea...I was thinking that there was no way we could leave her there alone when she was too weak to even go to the bathroom. (She has been living at a motel with one of her sons, but there was some family conflict and he hadn't been willing to help her at all, and when we showed up, he left.) We talked about one of us taking her to the hopsital but ultimately she decided it would be better to ride in an ambulance, so we helped her call an ambulance and then stayed with her until they came to pick her up. After she left, we went to the office of the motel and got some clean sheets and changed the sheets on her bed and tried to clean up a little bit more. As it turns out, the hospital admitted her and kept her there until last night, when she was transferred to a nursing facility to get some rehab for her legs (her recent surgery was for a broken hip) so it's obvious that going in to be checked was the right thing to do. As you can imagine, it was not the most pleasant service I've ever done but I felt so peaceful the rest of that day. And honestly, it really wasn't that bad in spite of the circumstances. I really felt like my friend Sherrie and I were meant to help her, and I'm glad we could do it.

I was communicating with Jessie's mom on Tuesday and found out that Jessie was sick and had just tested positive for Covid. She had started feeling sick on Saturday. Jared felt fine on Tuesday but by Wednesday he was sick too. They seem to be doing okay, but have fevers and coughs. So needless to say, they didn't come over for dinner on Wednesday as they usually do and we missed getting to visit with them. Jared's new job is going well, he says, but of course he hasn't been able to work most of this week and Jessie is missing school too. Hopefully they will both be back on their feet soon.

There was no Seminary on Tuesday or Wednesday mornings because the carpets at the church were getting cleaned so no one was allowed in the building. On Tuesday evening we had youth activities but they all had to be at different locations. Frank and Seth went with all the YM to our bishop's house where they made muffins. My class came to my house. We decorated cupcakes and then delivered some to two of the girls in the class who don't come to church or activities very often. One of the girls wasn't home but we did get to see the other one. I tried delivering the cupcakes again last night but still no one was home so I left them by her front door. Hopefully she got them when they came home! Anyway, the activitiy was fun but I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to take any pictures. The girls in my class are definitely loud and energetic!! 

Wednesday was my first VITA shift for this tax season. It went pretty well. The first tax return I did took a long time because there was a LOT of information to enter and a few complications, but the taxpayer was patient and appreciative. The second return was very simple and went much quicker! I'm working with a few people I've worked with in the past and I also met a few new people. 

I had book chat Wednesday evening. Once a year we have fondue and this was our fondue night for this year. One of the ladies always makes really delicious cheese fondue and chocolate fondue, and the rest of us bring things to dip. We had a LOT of food this time...so yummy!! We enjoyed discussing Grandma Gatewood's Walk and now we are reading When You Trap a Tiger by Tae Keller. It's a Newbery winner and I've already read it but I'm reading it again because I've forgotten a lot of details. 

Yesterday I got caught up on things after a couple of busy days. Last evening I went to a RS activity...we talked about different ways to do journaling and we were each given a gratitude journal and some gel pens. It was pretty fun. 

Tonight I don't have to go anywhere...whew!! I mean, maybe I'll decide to go somewhere but I don't have any events for a change. I had a doctor appointment today...just an annual checkup. When Seth got home from school we completed his registration for next school year because it is due today. I've been having to get on him a bit this week about schoolwork because he has been getting behind in a couple of his classes. Next week is midterm (already!) so he needs to get caught up. 

Frank has been busy with the usual things...work and his business. An employee of one of his clients passed away suddenly of a heart attack this week which was sobering. It sounds like this summer is going to be a bit crazy for him at work because (among other things) they are tearing down the building where his department is located and they will all be moving to different locations. He also is getting some new responsibilities soon and there will be some projects that he'll need to complete this summer. He did get approval to get days off for the family reunion, though, and we purchased plane tickets this week so we are definitely coming! We're looking forward to that! 

And on that happy note, I will finish up because I can't think of anything else to report. 😊

No comments: