We've been on spring break all week and it is starting to feel a bit like spring, finally. We've still had a few cooler days and a few nights that we had freeze advisories, but today it's in the high 70s and it looks like we have highs in the 70s and 80s for the foreseeable future. We've also had some sunny days, which has been nice after so much rain. Our neighbor's backyard looks nice and the common area grass is really green:
I've definitely enjoyed getting extra sleep this week and the week has gone by fast. I don't feel very ready to go back to early mornings, but we are on the home stretch and only have about 5 weeks left of Seminary. (We're still waiting to get official word on what day will be the last day.)
As usual, I can't remember much about last Saturday (the 12th) at this point. I got my haircut in the morning and Seth worked that evening. Those are the two things I have on my calendar. I remember that I cleaned the kitchen floor and practiced ukulele and I read through one of my Seminary lessons for next week. I also did some sewing--I got the main part of the other quilt block for May sewed together. (The butterfly body was not sewed on at that point, and the border strips were also not sewed on--I just put those things next to the quilt block so that I could see how it was going to look after being sewed together.)
I had to sew the butterfly body twice because the directions were incorrect. I got almost done with it and realized that it wasn't going to work. When I read the dirctions, I thought one part of them sounded strange, but I trusted the directions and followed them. I should have trusted my instincts, because the way I thought I should have done it was the correct way!
Sunday was really busy with church, choir practice, and mission prep class (and dinner preparations sandwiched in between all that). Since I didn't have to get up early on Monday morning, I took Seth to mission prep (well, he actually did the driving) and I let him stay for a while afterwards for socializing. Lori came upstairs with him when it was time to leave and invited us to come to her house for dinner on Easter, so we will be doing that. It was a beautiful day with lots of sunshine (but a little windy and nippy):



On Monday morning I had an appointment to get three immunizations...pneumonia, shingles, and a tetanus booster. I got two in the left arm and one in the right arm, so both of my arms have been sore all week but they are mostly better now. Both the pneumonia and shingles vaccines can cause flu-like symptoms, so I was prepared to not feel well for a few days. I actually felt fine on Monday (other than slightly sore arms), so I got all the regular chores done, worked a little on one Seminary lesson, and did some more sewing. I got the border strips sewed onto the butterfly block:
That bird identifying app I got on my phone has led me to be more aware when I am hearing birds singing, and on Monday I thought I heard a woodpecker. (Not singing, hammering.) I was able to spot it in one of the trees behind our house and got a few pictures. My app identified it as the Pileated Woodpecker:
The woodpecker was actually pecking on the side of the birdhouse, for some reason.
I didn't sleep really well on Monday night; probably mostly because both arms hurt so it was hard to find a comfortable position (especially since I am normally a side sleeper). When I woke up around 6:00 am, I didn't feel very well (headache, achy all over) so I ate some breakfast, took some medicine, and lay back down. I was surprised when I woke up again and it was 8:30. I spent most of Tuesday and Wednesday resting because I didn't feel well either day. Mostly I was achy all over and felt really exhausted. I felt a little better on Wednesday than I did on Tuesday and I was able to get a few light chores done on Wednesday. I also read through my second Seminary lesson for next week and got both lessons planned. (I worked on Power Point slides yesterday and completed the first lesson; still have about half of the Power Point slides to make for the second lesson.) We had family night on Wednesday evening because Seth worked on Monday evening.
By yesterday I felt mostly back to normal besides being a little tired and my arms were still slightly sore. I slept in every day this week and didn't exercise except for Monday, but next week I will be able to get back into a normal routine. On Wednesday evening after family night I sewed the butterfly body onto the block and last night I started basting the edges of the flower petals on the flower block. (I haven't taken photos of my progress though.) Once the edges are basted, I will applique the flower pieces onto the block and then sew on the border strips. After that I need to do some marking on the flower block (I already marked quilting lines on the butterfly block), cut out batting and backing pieces, and get the blocks ready to quilt. I only have about 10 days until May, but hopefully I will be able to get these pillow covers done by the end of April.
Seth didn't have a YM activity on Tuesday evening because of spring break, but yesterday some of the youth who aren't out of town had a temple trip, so Seth was able to participate in that. He has been working on a paper proposal for his English class and studying for his CTC certification exam a little bit every day this week, but mostly he has been enjoying himself. On Tuesday he, Lori, and a couple of other friends went to see the Minecraft movie. Frank took him to the theater and back, which I really appreciated since I wasn't feeling well that day. This morning I took Seth to get a haircut. (He did the driving again...I am making him drive most places we go so he can get plenty of practice.) Yesterday when we met at the church for the temple trip, we went a little early so he could practice backing into parking spaces for a while. He needs to be able to do that for his driver's test. He did well a few times and not so well a few more times, so he needs to keep practicing.
Frank's legs have been slowly improving but they still hurt most of the time (just not as severe as at first). He has been able to work from home most days this week, which helps. He did go in yesterday all day, though.
Besides everything else, I read a book this past week called A Place to Hang the Moon. One of my friends at book chat loaned it to me to read. It was a sweet book about some children who were evacuated from London during WWII who were trying to find a new home. I really enjoyed it. I also started reading The Screwtape Letters. I'm not very far into it yet, but it's interesting. On Monday I ordered a suit for Seth (from Mr. Mac, through Tanner). He needs black pants for graduation and his only pair of dress pants is light gray, so I got him a black suit. He's been wanting to get a suit, so he is excited about it. Yesterday I ordered some photo graduation cards. His graduation is less than 6 weeks away...hard to believe!
I've been enjoying the Easter study plan in the Gospel Library app this week also. It's been a great way to spiritually prepare for Easter!
I have been able to talk to all three of the older boys this week. Jared & Jessie just returned from a trip to Utah / Nevada for Jessie's sister's wedding on Monday. Jessie is doing really well in school and Jared has completed his courses and applied to get his associates degree (through BYU-Idaho online) so should get that soon. Tanner's car transmission went out a few days ago, so that's not good news for him. He just finished his school semester at Ensign College and he passed all his classes. He will be starting the next semester at the beginning of May. He has all his GE credits done and will now be working on a certificate to complete his associate's degree. Scott has been in Las Vegas this week for a work conference / training. He's pretty stressed about his job right now, though, so please keep him in your prayers.
That is the update for this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment