Friday, July 11, 2025

Weekly Review July 11 '25

 Shortly after I finished last week's post, we went to watch fireworks. We found a good spot a couple of years ago that has a good view and isn't too crowded. Seth met us here after he got off work...the fireworks had already started. 




Saturday was, of course, my birthday. Frank ended up having to do a lot of work for a client that day (including a trip to Waldorf, MD...about an hour and a half away) but he still made time to give me presents, take me for a drive / hike in the woods, take me to dinner, and frost my cake. (He baked the cake the day before). It was a nice day! Oh, and first thing in the morning, I was greeted by this deer in the common area behind our house:



Presents:


Gift from Tanner:


We drove up to Catoctin Mountain National Park and went for a short hike:




Then had dinner at a Mexican restaurant:



Back track to present opening:


And cake:


I decided to try something different from my usual cheesecake. This was an almond cake. It was really good!

During the day while Frank was gone, I got to talk to Amy for a few hours and I also talked to both Scott and Tanner. While I was talking to Amy, I did some sewing and sewed this quilt block together:


I also did a lot of folding and ironing of pieces for the Cathedral Window quilt block, but didn't take any pictures of those. (They aren't much to look at yet.) 

Sunday was pretty relaxing...since it was a holiday weekend, Seth didn't have temple prep or mission prep classes. The boy in my Seminary class who was baptized in January started boot camp on Monday, so Sunday was his last day with us for a while. He shared his testimony, and he expressed that he felt like he was leaving his family. He shared the scripture in Matthew 25:31-40 and then said to us (as a ward) "I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me drink..." He also expressed how grateful he was that the Lord led him to this church. It was really sweet! He will be missed, but I know he is going to be a huge impact for good wherever he goes. Boys in the ward saying goodbye:


I love what good friends they have all become!

Seth shared his testimony too...kind of a recap of what he said in Kirtland. I think that is the first time he has got up in Sacrament Meeting to share his testimony, and I love that he did that!

On Monday evening we went to an open house at my friend Rebekah's house. All of her kids were visiting and they were celebrating Rebekah's birthday, her daughter's graduation from BYU, and her son's wedding (which actually happened last year, but they got married in Utah so this was their first chance to celebrate in Maryland). It was a fun evening visiting with many people in our ward.

On Monday and Tuesday I did some deep cleaning in the kitchen and I also did some sewing. I basted all the purple pieces for this quilt block and started to applique them onto the block. 




I was planning to do a lot more of the applique work on Wednesday but unfortunately things didn't go as I planned. That morning I had a follow up appointment with the eye doctor to make sure my trial contact lenses were the correct prescription. My new glasses had also just come in that day, so I was able to pick them. up. I wore contact lenses to the appointment, but then removed them so I could try on the new glasses so I wore my glasses home. I hadn't been home very long when my left eye started to hurt. It was tearing up a lot and it got really red and it hurt to keep my eye open. By mid afternoon I just had to give up on doing anything except lying down with my eyes closed. So frustrating!

On Thursday morning I already had an appointment at the doctor to get my second dose of shingle vaccine, so I called and asked if there was anyone available to check my eye while I was there. Fortunately, there was. Also fortunately...Seth can drive so he drove me to the doctor since I couldn't keep my eye open very well. It appears that I have another eye infection similar to the one that I had in December. This one isn't as severe as that one was, but it is still plenty uncomfortable. The doctor prescribed some eye drops, which thankfully seem to be helping. My eye is a lot better today than it was yesterday although it's still somewhat painful. Anyway, after going to the doctor I couldn't come home and collapse because Seth and I had signed up to help with a lunch service program in a nearby neighborhood. The school system provides the lunches, but a group of local churches (including ours) provides volunteers to serve the lunches. Even though my eye was bothering me, it wasn't too bad. Only about 20 kids showed up, so we spent more time visiting than working (another sister in our ward was there to help too). After I that, I kind of collapsed for the rest of the day. Frank made dinner and Seth kept laundry moving. I appreciated being able to rest my eye in a dark room, but I was also pretty bored because I couldn't read or sew or watch a movie. Makes me really appreciate that my eyes are usually working fine!!

Today I haven't been feeling too great although my eye is better than it was because I've been dealing with the after effects of the immunization I had yesterday. My arm is really sore and I have felt a bit tired and achy and had a headache most of the day. Still, I have been able to do more today than yesterday and I've been grateful for that. I folded laundry and updated the budget and I've been able to watch a few things too, including a funeral for a good friend of ours. (He lived in our ward for about 20 years before he and his wife moved to Alaska several years ago. He was killed in a car accident nearly two weeks ago so it was very unexpected and sad. He is one of the guys that Frank used to cook with for all the church events and we have always planned to visit him and his wife in Alaska someday so we are really sad we didn't get to do that before he passed away. The funeral was very nice, though!) Frank has been great to help me out the last couple of days. He has cooked dinner and today he also went to the store for me. Seth has also been helpful and has cheerfully driven me all the places I need to go and has helped with some household chores.

Now I am definitely ready to lie down and rest my eyes for a while. Here are a few more pictures to finish up. I finished this color by number on Sunday:


The trash corrals in our neighborhood were removed on Monday and Tuesday. As you know, we aren't too happy about it, but it does look nicer without the trash corral there (or will, once the grass grows):


Flying our flag on the 4th of July:



I enjoyed a good 30 minutes of deer / firefly watching on Tuesday evening (fireflies don't show up in the photos, unfortunately):





And finally, I really like the bandaid the technician put on my arm yesterday:


No comments: