This week went by fast. That's probably because we've been on spring break and I want it to last forever! I'm not ready to go back to real life again, but I guess I'd better get ready. That being said, I do miss the youth in my Seminary class. I just don't miss getting up really early and the stress of teaching lessons.
While we're on the subject of sleep, I slept until sometime between 6:00 and 6:30 am nearly every morning this past week. It didn't matter if I went to bed at 8:00 pm or later (never later than 11:00 pm, and usually around 9:00), I nearly always woke up around that time--so I guess that's what time my body wants to get up in the morning. No wonder I am always so tired! We are on the home stretch now, though. When we go back to Seminary on Monday, we only have 5 1/2 weeks left. I think I can manage that.
I wrote last on Saturday evening, so I will start this week's post with Sunday, April 5th. It was a rainy day but we didn't have to go anywhere so we stayed warm and dry inside while watching General Conference and celebrating Easter. We had plenty of snacks for Conference and we enjoyed a yummy ham dinner. It was actually way too much food for just the 3 of us. We've been eating leftovers all week. We really enjoyed General Conference and are looking forward to listening to the talks again and reading them so that we can learn from them some more. During Conference, I did some coloring and finished another color by number:
I talked to Jared after Conference ended. We had a beautiful sunset that evening:
Every day this week I exercised and did regular chores and then tried to get some other things done. (I'm enjoying watching episodes of The Chosen while I jog. I just finished the first season this morning.) On Monday April 6th, I got to talk to Scott for a little while. I also made granola (which I've been eating for breakfast some mornings), sanded some dollhouse parts, planned one Seminary lesson for next week, and Frank and I tuned in to watch Artemis II for part of their moon flyby.
I've been reading a book called Emotional Inheritance (I finished Nation). It's interesting, but leaves me feeling a little anxious that we have psychologically damaged our kids! I mentioned it to Tanner when I talked to him on Tuesday, and he said "Well, of course you did! But all parents do that to their kids." That was oddly comforting, actually. I think he's right. All parents make some mistakes and it's bound to impact our kids. Hopefully the damage is minimal, though--especially if we're basically good people doing the best we can!
On Tuesday I made some muffins (also for breakfasts--I've eaten some, and the rest are frozen for later) and did some more work on the dollhouse. I did some more sanding, painted a few small pieces, and dyed the shingles. The shingles have to be left in a pile for several days and stirred a few times each day. They should be completely done by tomorrow.
I worked my usual VITA shift on Wednesday April 8th. I left on time for once (well, about 1:15--only a few minutes late), but I told them I needed to leave on time because Seth was having surgery that morning. Frank was working from home and he took the morning off so that he could be with Seth and I could still work my shift. I wanted to get home on time, though, so that I could be home in the afternoon in case Seth needed me. Seth's surgery went well and he seems to be recovering well also. It was a good thing I came home, though, because Frank had an emergency to deal with for work that afternoon and someone needed to pick up prescriptions and some OTC meds for Seth. Between that trip, making dinner, and taking a short nap (Wednesday was the one day that I woke up earlier than 6:00), the late afternoon and evening were gone and it was time for bed.
A little more details about Seth's surgery (I actually know very little): the surgery was to collapse / repair a fistula. There are two possible prodedures they do, depending on how large the fistula is and where it is located etc. He ended up having the procedure that involves putting in a thing called a Seton, which is there to help drain abscesses and infection which will help with healing. He will have to go back for another procedure to have the Seton removed. He has a follow up appointment with the surgeon scheduled on May 18th--they may move that appointment to an earlier date if a time becomes available. He is on an antibiotic to prevent infection and they also gave him prescriptions for two pain meds, but he has not needed to use those. He is supposed to take 2 or 3 warm baths per day and avoid sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time. Full recovery is supposed to take 4 - 6 weeks, but those are the only restrictions on his activity so he should be able to resume his normal schedule for the most part. He was able to work a 4 hour shift today. He did ask me to drive him to work since he thought driving might be a bit uncomfortable. This week has been spring break for him too, so he hasn't had classes which has been nice.
Thursday April 9th was a pretty busy day. I planned another Seminary lesson for next week and filed the annual report for Frank's business. Frank worked from home because he had a doctor appointment in the early afternoon. This was the nerve test that the surgeon wanted him to have done. They think he may have some nerve damage in his neck and want him to get an MRI for that. After he got home, he went to fly his drone for a while. After he got home and had dinner, he was starting to get a really bad headache so he went to bed early. He told me this morning that he woke up around 2:00 am with a blinding headache, so he got up and took medicine and then got something to eat. They told him that the nerve test they did could cause headaches later, so apparently it did have that affect on him. He has been feeling better today.
I had been planning to do the next steps of the dollhouse assembly after dinner (I wanted Frank to help me) but when he went to bed I debated if I should wait or try to do it myself. Ultimately, I decided to give it a try. I took the weights off and removed the tape from the house earlier that day and set it upright. It doesn't look too bad:
Frank thinks we may be able to add those pieces on tonight. We'll see how they look after we pull them out from under the weights. Once those pieces are assembled, I can paint the exterior of the dollhouse before moving on to add the top floor and the roof. I have a lot more pieces to paint--the porch pieces and the window pieces will be needed next--so I can work on those even if we decide we need to let the tower pieces sit under the weights for a while longer. Oh, I also plan to put a second coat of paint on the foundation because I will be attatching the house to the foundation fairly soon also. I have been able to get a lot done on this project, but the more I do, the more I realize how much more there is to do! It's okay, though--I have been pleased that I have been able to get as much done as I have. I knew it would take a long time and I think I am making decent progress.
I had a hard time falling asleep last night and I also had a restless night--I remember waking up several times in the night. Because of that, I decided not to go to the temple today. I had planned to do an endowment session and I knew I would probably struggle to stay awake. It was good that I was home to drive Seth to work and back, though. Frank works from home on Fridays but he had meetings and has been pretty busy so he wouldn't have been able to do that for Seth. I got the finances updated this morning and have been writing this post this afternoon. I also got to talk to Tanner for a while. His girlfriend, Linsey, had surgery on Tuesday to remove a mass from her thyroid. She seems to be recovering well. He thinks the mass is probably benign, but they are waiting for test results to know for sure. He felt pretty anxious about her on Monday, but he is feeling better now.
Other news from Tanner: he started working a new part time job last week--just on Wednesdays. (He still works on Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at his other job). He has enjoyed the work so far.
Tanner also got to attend Saturday morning's session of General Conference. He was at work and his boss was supposed to be attending, but an emergency came up with one of the other employees and so his boss felt like he needed to stay and work instead of going to Conference. He had a ticket to go, however, so he told Tanner that he could take his ticket and go. Tanner sat with his boss's wife (his boss is his former mission president, so Tanner knows his wife well) and they were sitting near the front with Elder Bednar's family, so that was pretty cool. He also said it was really awesome to be there in person for the solemn assembly to sustain President Oaks.
The weather today is beautiful! It has actually been quite chilly all week (of course!--it always gets cold for spring break) but today is a lot warmer which is perfect. We have lots of blooming trees around town and they are beautiful! We are starting to see leaves on a lot of trees too. One day earlier this week I opened the curtains and was surprised to see that our next door neighbor's tree, which had been covered with white balls of blossoms the day before, was now covered with tiny green leaves and the blossoms were gone. I swear that change happened overnight! I'll finish with a couple of photos of some pretty trees.













No comments:
Post a Comment