Friday, August 28, 2026

Weekly Review August 28 '26

Some general information before I dive into this week's daily happenings. Frank's foot is very slowly improving. It still hurts a lot. He can't wear a regular shoe yet (has to wear sandals). He tried wearing a shoe yesterday and he regretted it! His foot does not look red or swollen anymore, though. He is still taking medication to help his uric acid levels go down. Frank is still going to PT twice a week. He says it seems to be helping his neck and one of his shoulders; they aren't hurting as much. It's nice to see a little bit of progress in that area.

Seth worked every week day this week again. He has been scheduled for close to 40 hours each week for the last couple of weeks, which is great. He's not planning to resume classes until January, at the earliest. In the meantime, he is adding to his savings. He is also paying a small amount of rent to us each month. (The agreement is that if he is taking classes, he doesn't have to pay rent). He wants to buy some equipment for making recordings, because he wants to create some YouTube videos, so he is saving up for that.

Friday, August 21st: I already wrote about what we did, but we had a nice sunset, so I took some photos:




Saturday, August 22nd: I woke up fairly early (around 6:00 am), but I took it easy and didn't get much accomplished in the morning. (I was trying to rest my eye a bit.) I did read scriptures and played some games and also talked to Tanner for a while (he called when he was on his way to work). 

Since falling down last Wednesday, I seem to have new bruises pop up nearly every day (although most of the soreness has gone away). On Saturday, my knees looked like this:


And my hands looked like this (the dark gray areas on my palms and wrists are bruises):



After lunch, I practiced ukulele and made a sign up sheet for our next RS activity, which will be group dinners. I also worked on the dollhouse a little bit while listening to the Follow Him podcast. I worked on the porch--I glued on the first railing and trim on both the balcony and the porch. (The dark things under the railings are two shingles stacked on top of each other...I used those to elevate the railings slightly from the balcony and porch floors.):

That evening, we went to dinner with some friends in our ward, which was a lot of fun although my eye wasn't feeling great. I was able to find things on the menu that work with my diet, which was encouraging--and they tasted good too!

After we got back from dinner, I cleaned the kitchen floor and then worked on the dollhouse porch / balcony a little more. I glued a porch post to each of the railings / trim that I had glued on earlier that day, then taped everything and left them to dry:

Seth didn't work on Saturday, but he was gone for several hours. He was "hanging out" with a girl he met at work. Apparently, they share an interest in a particular show and have become friends as they have talked about this at work. I asked him if it was a date, and he said "I'm not sure" but he acknowledged that he would be interested in dating this girl. Apparently, she was the one who suggested that they spend some time together. Anyway, they met at the mall and spent several hours there. I know they visited a store that has merchandise for this show they both like, but I don't know what else they did (other than getting some food). He had a good time.

Sunday, August 23rd: My eye was very red and goopy when I woke up. I had another quiet morning with scriptures and playing a few games, then went to church. Frank and I rode over together, but he went to YSA meetings, so didn't come to our ward meetings. This was my first week wearing my missionary nametag to our ward meetings. Most people didn't seem to notice. πŸ˜‚ Most people also didn't seem to notice my very red eye, which I am grateful for. It doesn't really show up in this photo, but it's definitely red:


After church, I gave a ride home to another sister in my ward. (Frank came home later with Seth). I spent some time texting to make some ministering appointments. I also talked / texted with Jared briefly. They were driving to Colorado that day. They planned to drive to Amarillo, Texas on Sunday and the rest of the way to Aurora on Monday, but they ended up waking up early & getting a very early start. They decided to drive farther, and in the end they just ended up driving all the way to Aurora in one day. Jessie drove one of their cars and Jared drove the moving van, which was towing their other car. We're glad they got there safely! They were able to move in on Monday and have been getting unpacked and learning their way around this week. Both of them start new jobs on Monday.

Anyway, after Frank and Seth got home, a sister in our ward came over to bring Frank a walker thing that she thought might help with his foot. He also helped her with some computer issues. Then we had family night, including playing a game because we never did an activity last week. (We played Bank; Frank won). After family night, Seth went to mission prep class. I listened to podcasts for a while before going to bed.

Monday, August 24th: I didn't have a good night--I woke up at 1:45 am! I read scriptures and did some NYT games. Around 5:00 am, I gave up on going back to sleep so I got up, exercised, ate breakfast, showered, and started laundry. I also did some deer watching--there were four of them behind our house that morning:



Frank had an early PT appointment, so he went to that. After getting the laundry started, I was feeling sleepy so I took a nap. 

After my nap, I went grocery shopping, swept & vacuumed the living room, and then went to lunch with some friends. We were celebrating my friend Barbra's birthday. She has been living in hotels for about 5 years, but finally got into her own apartment at the beginning of August--hooray! I enjoyed visiting with friends and I was mostly able to stick to my diet. This place was harder to find options that worked, and I thought I had successfully ordered things that I could eat, but I'm pretty sure the carrots I got had butter on them! It was strange, because the menu listed buttered broccoli and buttered corn, but the carrots just said "carrots", so I thought I was safe. Oh well! They tasted yummy at least. πŸ˜…

Frank asked me to put gas in his car while I was out, so I did that on the way home. I worked on the dollhouse porch / balcony throughout the day. I did one step before going to lunch, another when I got home, and a third step after dinner. I had to do it in steps because the glue needed time to dry in between. I was able to finish all the railings, posts, and trim by the end of the day, and I am happy with how it turned out (and glad to be done with that part of the assembly!):





Before Seth went to YSA FHE, we did this week's family night activity. (We played a game called Quixx; I won.) I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of family birthdays / weddings, so I opened that up to add Taran's baby, Orion Mateo, who was born that day and discovered that I hadn't remembered to add a couple more of my great nieces / nephews, as well as a few weddings, so I spent some time getting the information I needed to completely update the spreadsheet. 

Tuesday, August 25th: The alarm went off for Frank at 3:45; I didn't have to get up, but I couldn't go back to sleep. (It was the first day of Seminary; I guess I just needed to get up early, for old time's sake!) I noticed a new maroon colored bruise on my right hand that morning:


I read scriptures and then took kids to school (for the family in our ward who need rides). On the way home, I filled my car with gas; then came home and exercised & ate breakfast. It was bathroom cleaning day, so I decided to do that before showering. I listened to Follow Him podcast while I cleaned. By the time I showered, it was lunch time. While I was reading scriptures that morning, I finished this "Journey through the FSY Guide" that I have been working on all summer. They asked the youth to do it, and since I was a Seminary teacher when it started, I decided to do it too. (There was a reading assignment each week, and I colored in a step after completing each week's assignment.)

After lunch, I planned meals for next week and then took Seth to work. (I needed the car to go to the temple). After I took Seth to work, I took a short nap before getting ready for my temple shift.


The training we had in our preparation meeting was really awesome; I loved it! I was assigned to help with sealings that evening, but they had a lot of workers, so I ended up being a patron / witness. I had to ask them to let me sit instead of kneel, because it still hurts to kneel down (cleaning bathrooms wasn't easy for that same reason!). After an hour doing sealings, I was assigned to be a veil worker. I got to be the "angel", which means that I helped direct patrons into the celestial room (some of them who don't know their way around head to an exit that the temple workers use instead of into the celestial room). I was really happy to be doing something that didn't require a lot of thought because my eye was hurting a lot more and throughout the day / evening, I noticed that it was getting goopier. I had to keep going to the restroom to wash it off. Frank was assigned to be the veil coordinator that evening, so he had to stay a lot later than I did. I was able to leave by about 8:45; I got home about the time that he left the temple to come home. Seth was at work until 10:30 and would need a ride home, so while I was waiting to go get him, I glued the roof ledge trim (that I previously painted) onto the dollhouse. (Photo taken Wednesday morning):

Wednesday, August 26th: I didn't wake up until 6:45, which was nice! I didn't exercise because my eye hurt and I thought maybe my eye was getting worse because I was overdoing it. I had another quiet morning; I took more time than usual for scripture study, which was nice. I also dusted and I called the eye doctor because I needed to change my follow up appointment that was scheduled for the first Thursday in September--I realized that I wasn't going to have a car, because Seth had to be at work earlier than normal. I also took that opportunity to let them know that I thought my eye was getting worse, and to ask if it was normal for it to still be bright red and goopy, nearly a week after the biopsy. (The whole white part of my right eye is--and has been--completely red since the day I had the biopsy.) The receptionist said she would write a note for the doctor; he was in surgery that day but she would call me back on Thursday.

After lunch, I glued the roof / 3rd story onto the dollhouse. (Frank helped me.) It is amazing how much better it looks, even with an unfinished roof!




It's really starting to look like a house, which is really fun. πŸ˜€

I had training for my mission that afternoon / evening from 4:00 to 6:30. It was mostly computer related stuff--how to use the various programs I'll be using, some of which I already knew how to do. The missionary who trained me was very nice and I enjoyed talking to her. After a late dinner, I read some Sense & Sensibility and talked to Scott for a while. My eye was still hurting and quite goopy all day and I had to wash it several times.

Thursday, August 27th: I woke up around 7:00, which was awesome. I had to wash my eye before I could open it because my eyelashes were stuck together. The eye doctor's receptionist called that afternoon and said that the doctor wanted me to start using artificial tears four times a day and see if that helps my eye. If it doesn't, then I am supposed to call back and he will want to see me. 

I was pretty busy all day with regular chores (grocery shopping, laundry, vacuuming the whole house), reading scriptures, checking and responding to mission email (I had to add some meetings to my calendar and send them a recent photo of me), and working on the dollhouse a little bit. I did some touch up painting and Frank helped me fit the roof pieces on and trace around them (they aren't getting glued on quite yet). I also looked at some photos of dollhouses to get some decorating ideas. 

Around lunch time, I noticed I had a headache and a slight sore thoat. I took some Tylenol which helped my eye as well as my head and throat. Thankfully, the sore throat disappeared after that! Frank was working from home because it is move in week at UMD and the parking situation is crazy so his boss told everyone to just work from home. He was contacted by a former client asking to meet with him so he did that; he may be doing some work for them again, but I will wait to see how that pans out before I explain anything else about it. That evening there was a RS activity which I probably would have skipped because my eye was really not feeling great, but I am in charge of the activities now, so I kind of feel obligated to go to them. πŸ˜‚Besides, I wanted to go because we were touring the new Famly Search center at our stake center and I've been wanting to see it. I knew this activity probably wouldn't be well attended, and then right around the time everyone should be leaving, a severe thunderstorm blew in, which I knew would deter some of the people who were planning to come. So in the end, I was happy that 3 people came besides me! (Plus two other women in our ward were there because they work at the Family Search center). I drove to the stake center in an absolutely tremendous downpour; I also saw lightning strike something in the distance (there was a huge yellow / orange glow!) Thankfully, the rain calmed down a few minutes after I arrived at the stake center, so I was able to get inside without getting drenched. The tour was interesting and fun, but I was very glad to get home and go to bed. 

Friday, August 28th: I slept well and woke up about 6:45. Once again, I couldn't open my eye until I washed it. So far, I'm not noticing much impovement in my eye. If it doesn't get any better over the weekend, I will be calling the eye dr Monday morning. Today I noticed an area under my eye on my right cheek looks slightly bulgy, which means my eye is probably swelling a bit. So fun! 

Anyway, Frank went to PT and then later he went into work for a little while because he is helping do interviews to hire for a position and he needed to do an in person interview. I updated finances and talked to Tanner for a while. Seth had his 6 month medicine check up with the doctor this morning and then he went to work this afternoon. 

I did a short training and worked on a volunteer disclosure agreement for my mission (but haven't finished it yet because there is a technical issue with one of the websites). Before starting on this blog post, I painted one side of the dollhouse rooftop and rooftop extension. I also glued beads onto trim posts (these will be part of the trim that I will install in one of the next steps). 


Now it's time for me to go make some dinner, so I will sign off for this week. 

No comments: