Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Dinosaur Phase

Seth is currently going through a dinosaur phase. Doesn't every little boy go through a dinosaur phase? Fortunately for Seth, he has access to a very extensive collection of dinosaurs, thanks to his three older brothers. For me it's kind of "dejavu" to see piles of dinosaurs on the floor like this: This was a very common sight in our home a number of years ago, but it's been a while!

Also thanks to Seth's brothers, I am very prepared for the dinosaur phase. I think I have read every kids' dinosaur book ever written--fiction or non-fiction! That means I have incredible dinosaur "smarts" that goes way beyond the basic Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and Tyrannosaurus Rex. I mean, do names like Compsognathus and Pachycephalosaurus roll off your tongue like water? They do mine!

Here is Seth enjoying his beloved reptiles:





Family history trivia: Of the older three boys, Tanner went through the most intense dinosaur phase. As a matter of fact, I don't think he is completely out of it still--recently, when we had to research a potential career for one of his merit badges, he chose "paleontologist". He doesn't talk about dinosaurs much now, but when he was little he ate, drank, slept, breathed dinosaurs! Here's a picture of him with his most beloved dinosaur, at age 2 1/2. They were inseparable, as you can see!:


I have Tanner to thank for most of my dinosaur knowledge. I remember his kindergarten teacher saying to me "I've known a lot of little boys who can pronounce all those complicated dinosaur names, but I've never known a little boy like Tanner who can spell them, too!"

Only time will tell the length, depth and breadth of Seth's dinosaur phase. I'm dusting off the dinosaur books and preparing to enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

RAQ said...

Yes, having 5 boys I know exactly what you are saying! That's why we go to the Dinosaur Museum at least once a month!

The Cranes said...

I feel gipped! Neither of my boys have been big dinosaur fans. I can't pronounce or spell those dinosaur names. It's still not too late for Ammon to decide to be dinosaur crazy, I guess.