Thursday, September 16, 2010

Weekly Review September 18 '10

We are having Stake Conference this week end. Tomorrow we are getting a new stake presidency. We've had the current presidency for nearly 10 years. It's kind of sad, but I think a change will be good, also. Anyway, having stake conference means we didn't have any church meetings or activities all week except special stake conference-related meetings. We were encouraged, as always, to go to the temple as much as we could this week, and then Friday night there was a special "7th floor" session at the temple. It was nice having a week where we could focus on the temple, although there were things going on at school and in the community to keep us busy and a little distracted.

I was not feeling too great on Sunday, but thankfully I was feeling well enough to go to church and do what I had to do there. Frank was not so lucky--he was really feeling miserable, so he stayed home. I had to be at the church at 8:30 for one last song practice--all the Primary teachers sang a song in Sacrament Meeting that day. It turned out really nice, actually, and I really felt the spirit while we were singing. I heard some nice comments afterwards. (We sang a song from the children's songbook called "How Will They Know"--it's a beautiful song!) The choir has been on "summer break" since July, but that is the third time I've sung in Sacrament Meeting in the last 6 weeks! The stake primary president came to our primary on Sunday to do sharing time (we had invited her to do that) and she did a fantastic job! She also came to our Sacrament Meeting and heard our song, so now it looks like some of us are going to be singing that same song for our leadership training meetings in October.

We had beautiful weather on the weekend and the beginning part of this week--gorgeous "Indian Summer" days. I kept thinking it was too bad that I wasn't feeling better so I could enjoy it more. As it was, I didn't have much energy and stayed kind of "holed up" inside. I got a little better every day, though, and I'm grateful for that. Frank has also improved and was even better enough on Monday that he was able to put in a full day of work, which is a great blessing.

I can't remember much about Monday, but I know I was busy. I spent a couple of hours doing some research so I would have a better idea who to vote for in the local elections. For famly night we got Dunkin Donuts--the boys each had a coupon to get a free donut from there.

There wasn't any school on Tuesday because it was primary election day. I decided to take advantage of the fact that I had babysitters at home and went to the temple. I almost didn't go--I woke up later than I'd planned and I was worried that I might have a coughing fit or two in the middle of the session--but I wasn't coughing nearly as much Tuesday morning as I was Monday morning, so I decided to try it. I'm really glad I did! Although I coughed enough that the sweet temple worker gave me a small bottled water, I never had a major coughing fit and it was really wonderful to be in the temple again. I stopped on the way to the temple to vote, so I felt like I got a couple of worthwhile things done that day. Frank had a very busy work day and didn't make it to the polls before they closed. I told him he should think about doing an absentee ballot next time, since he never can predict when he's going to have a day like that! He seems to have days like that more often than not, lately. Jared had his first soccer practice of the season that evening. I took Seth with me to that, and he enjoyed running all over the park. After we got home, Jared had a big project for school he had to finish up, and I ended up staying up late helping him with that. I didn't get my normal "Tuesday chores" done, but it was definitely a busy and productive day.

Wednesday was busy also, since I was getting caught up on the things I was not able to do on Tuesday. Even though I was up late with Jared, I still woke up at 5:00 and couldn't go back to sleep, but that turned out to be a good thing since I had so much to do. We were interested to see the election results--we had a good friend who was running for the Board of Education--but unfortunately he didn't make it into the general election. A lot of good people did move on, though. The boys didn't have scouts that night and Frank was going to take Scott to the store to price the materials needed for his Eagle scout project, but he ended up working late enough that he wasn't able to do that. He took him on Thursday night instead, while I went to "Back to School Night" at Jared & Seth's school.

Thursday was also busy with trips to three stores as well as to the library. In between all the chores, I did manage to get more exericising done and I did a lot of reading also. I finished the book for book club, but they decided late last week to change books so once again I'm not going to get the book we're discussing read. I tried to get it, but there is a wait to get it from the library and book club is on Tuesday. They decided to switch books because one of the other women who had finished it said it was boring and didn't end well. I was far enough into it, though, that I wanted to find out what happened. It definitely wasn't the best book I ever read and it did kind of fall flat, but I did enjoy it at times. (It's called La's Orchestra Saves the World, by Alexander McCall Smith). It started raining Thursday afternoon and we had a small thunderstorm in the night.

Frank and I went to the temple Friday night for the meeting I mentioned earlier. We left early enough that we were able to go through an endowment session before the meeting. I had a headache before we left and started feeling a bit nauseated on the way down, so I was a little worried about making it through a session. But once we got to the temple and I was able to get a drink and eat a few pretzels I started to feel better so I was able to do the session as planned. We were some of the last people to get to the session, and the room was full. It was really awesome to walk in there because almost every face in the whole session was familiar--members of our stake. The meeting afterwards was really great also. I particularly enjoyed the remarks made by Elder Tingey, the temple president. On the way home we stopped to get some dinner. I continued to feel a little funny the rest of the evening, but never got sick; I'm grateful for that! Today I feel a lot better.

Today has been busy with homework and scout stuff. I helped Jared do some things to pass off Tenderfoot and 2nd Class. He has done most of the requirements for Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, and 1st Class, but has a few things to finish up in each area. For Scott, we are trying to get his project description finished up so we can get the signatures we need and submit it for approval. We are hoping to get it submitted this week. It's been a busy morning, and tempers have not been idle, either!

Now Frank is with Jared at his first soccer game of the season, Tanner is working on homework, Scott is playing at a friend's house, and I am going to take Seth to the park. Later, Frank and I plan to go to the adult session of stake conference. I've kept Seth waiting long enough, so I'd better post this and go!

1 comment:

RAQ said...

so glad to get back on here and see how you are doing! glad you and Frank are feeling better--hardest thing to do is being sick as a parent!