Last week's post was two days late, and just to throw you off this week's is a day early. Kind of have to do these whenever I get the chance these days.
First things first, thank you for your prayers for Frank...his itching disappeared as mysteriously as it came. Just glad he is feeling better!
Today is the first day of spring and I can't complain about it too much. The temps got up into the low 50's and it was sunny. It still felt a bit chilly because there was a breeze blowing a lot of the day, but sunny and 50's is a drastic improvement over what we've been getting most days for the last several months. Right on cue, I found crocuses blooming in my flower bed today. Also a few dwarf daffodil looking things bloomed a few days ago. There's a light at the end of the tunnel! (Although Frank informed me there's a storm coming next week that might be "epic". Please let it be rain, not snow!)
Here's the pictures I promised from last week:
Seth wanted to be in the picture.
Here's a close up of our awesome St. Patrick's Day veggies...carrots, onions, red potatoes, and cabbage of course! Plus my cool St. Patrick's Day salt & pepper shakers!
Here's the corned beef brisket! Seth is really making a silly face, not a "oh no, am I going to have to eat this" face, even though it doesn't look like it.
For the actual St. Patrick's Day (Monday) we got...5 inches of fresh snow and another snow day. Sigh!! I really think we could have gotten away with a 2 hour delay. The roads cleared up quite quickly. I was supposed to have a presidency meeting at my house that morning, but instead we moved it to afternoon at the church (for privacy) and none of us had any trouble getting to the church. The meeting took up most of the afternoon since we haven't been able to meet in about a month. While I was gone, Frank made 3 loaves of banana bread with all the overripe bananas that needed to be used...bless him! I spent some time with Tanner looking over BYU housing and I think we are probably going to sign him up for Helaman Halls for this first year. It's a bummer that he doesn't have a close friend to room with, but hopefully he will get lucky and get a great roommate. Scott didn't know any of his roommates ahead of time, and they all turned out to be great! All the after school activities were cancelled on Monday also but since the opening night for Tanner's play is tonight (he's there now...actually hopefully it's ending right about now) the director found another place to have rehearsal (he wasn't allowed to use the school building) and asked everyone who could make it to come that evening. So Tanner went to that. We had family night Sunday night because we knew he'd probably have a rehearsal on Monday.
We went back to normal life on Tuesday thank goodness. Snickers went to the groomer that morning. I meant to take a "before" and "after" shot because this is the longest he's ever gone without a cut and he was super shaggy but I forgot to take the "before" picture, so you will just have to take my word for it that he looks like a new dog! Tuesday evening Seth and I got his Shark project done. A day early! We were so proud of ourselves.
I have spent a lot of time this week doing RS stuff. Lots of emails, phone calls, making lists, etc! Seriously, I think I could do stuff like that all day every day and never run out of things to do. I am trying to have "phone visits" with at least a couple of sisters each week...my solution to dealing with the stupid weather we've been having for months which keeps interfering with my efforts to make real visits. Plus, it's a good way to catch up with some of the more active sisters, just to make sure they don't need anything. I had several nice "visits" with women this week. There seem to be a lot of crises with mothers lately. One sister's mother passed away recently, another's mom had surgery last week and has to have another one tomorrow, and a third sister's 90 something year old mother has cancer, so she is not going to be with us much longer. It's been a rough couple of months, with lots of ward members losing various family members.
Besides that, I have been trying to do my regular visiting teaching but I am ready to tear my hair out over that. I can't get my companion or any of the sisters I visit to return emails, text messages, or voice mails. It's so frustrating, but at least I have a clear conscience that I've been trying hard. Maybe they are all avoiding me?
We had the Elders over for dinner, last minute, on Wednesday. We just made our "family mission plan" so we shared that with them. The biggest element in my plan is to try to meet people who aren't already members!
Yesterday it rained all day and the windshield wipers on my car just broke so I couldn't go anywhere until evening (I got shopping done while Jared was at YM.) It was kind of nice to have an excuse not to go anywhere and I got a lot of RS stuff done.
Tanner and Jared have continued to be very busy with play rehearsals and both of them have stayed after school every day until late evening. My evenings have been hectic, dropping off dinners for them and then picking them up when they are done. I will be really glad when this play is over (although alas...there is another one in a few weeks) because Tanner (and probably Jared also) needs to get some school work done. He's not doing well at all in his two AP classes and next week is end of term. I am trying to let him handle it and not have a nervous break down over it (but I'm not doing too well with that).
Frank has been working here in Frederick all week which is nice because he doesn't have to get up so early. Today he had 2 clients needing immediate help, plus a printer at the church needing to be fixed so he didn't get home until after 8:00. He works in Frederick next week also.
Ok, not a very exciting week but that's just how it's been. As soon as they let us know when the last day of school is going to be (I think it will probably be June 12th) we will purchase plane tickets. So looking forward to seeing all of you in 3 months!

1 comment:
I need to learn to make corned beef!
Post a Comment