It looks absolutely beautiful outside. In the last week the trees have suddenly produced leaves and blossoms. The grass has turned bright green, the sun is out, the sky is blue, and flowers are blooming everywhere. But it's cold! We had this strange cold front come in Tuesday and since then it's been really chilly. Below freezing at night and in the mornings. Warming up to the 50's during the day, but with a breeze, so it still feels pretty cold. I'm sure it's just temporary. It's supposed to warm back up soon.
Last weekend was quite busy. The boys had their last performance of the play Saturday evening; Frank went to see it and he liked it a lot and was quite impressed with the performers, just as I was. Seth had his first soccer game of the season. The first time he was put in, he actually paid attention and stayed with the ball the whole time. The rest of the game he was back to being unfocused. But at least that's a little progress! His team is still really good, and they won the game 9-3. That afternoon Frank & I went to a baptism...the son of a family who used to be in our ward (we lost them in the boundary change last year). It was really the most incredible baptism I've ever been to. Both the son's nonmember father and his less active brother spoke, and they did a great job. The father thanked the missionaries who had taught his son in a most heartfelt way for changing their lives. (Word has it that the father is getting baptized in a few weeks.) Then after the baptism, the son shared his testimony and it was so powerful! I was just in awe, and I wasn't the only one. I was sitting next to the sister missionaries from our ward and one of them leaned over and said to me "that is the most amazing testimony I have ever heard!" So it was very sweet to be there...glad we went! In between those things, I was finishing up VT changes and getting the slips printed up as well as other RS tasks and household chores. While Frank was at the play I took Seth to the park for a while. This was before the cold front moved in, so it was still nice and warm.
Sunday I had ward council before church and that evening our stake had a special fireside...an Easter celebration with music and testimonies. The youth from our ward sang their song again...the one that Jared sings a solo part. They did a fantastic job again. The whole evening was really uplifting. A lot of non members came too. I invited one of our neighbors, but she didn't come. At least I tried! In between church and the fireside, I took a short 15 minute nap and made cookies to take to the fireside.
This week hasn't been nearly so busy, which has been nice for a change. On Monday I managed to get the tax return for the business sent in. We had the Elders over for dinner. For family night, we did service...took some boxes to a family in our ward who are moving, and helped them pack for a while. Then we got treats at Dairy Queen on the way home.
It rained on Tuesday. I got all my household chores done by lunch time so after lunch I went shopping...I've been wanting to make some clothes for my doll. I got some patterns and some fabric; spent way too much time but had fun. I took all the boys to get haircuts after school. Seth was being a little pill...he would not sit still and he kept sliding down in the chair and throwing the cape over his head. He did not like it when she used the clippers on him. She did finally manage to give him a fairly decent hair cut but she gave me her card and said I could bring him back in within a week and get anything fixed that needed it for free. I did a few RS phone calls and emails as well, but the RS stuff has been pretty light this week (knock on wood!)
Wednesday I didn't have a lot that had to be done besides some grocery shopping. After that, I decided to tackle a project that I've been needing to work on. A member of our ward who had an adult daughter pass away gave me a bag of her garments--I guess thinking that I could find someone to give them to? I'm not sure. Anyway, I can't imagine that many people would be interested in used garments, especially since many of them were not in very good shape. I felt bad returning them, though, so I decided to do them a service and just dispose of them. Imagine my feelings when I went through the bag and discovered that there were about 30 tops and 50 bottoms! I am still trying to figure out why anyone would need that many. It boggles my mind. So anyway, I spent 3 hours working on those (watched more television than I've seen in months) and sadly, I'm not done yet. But at least I made some progress. After the boys got home from school, Tanner & Jared went to help with an Eagle scout project for another boy in our ward. After we got through dinner, I pulled out some of the fabric I bought on Tuesday and sewed until bed time.
Today we began our greatly abbreviated spring break. (Originally, it was supposed to start on Monday and extend through this coming Monday. Instead, we got today and tomorrow.) It was nice for me not to have to be up at the crack of dawn. I got up around 7:00 instead. I didn't see Tanner or Jared until almost noon! I got the household chores done (except for the ones I was reserving for Tanner & Jared to do) and then sewed some more. After they got up, I went back to the fabric store for some velcro I needed and went to the grocery store too. Then I came back home and finished up my first project:
It's almost Easter so my doll had to have a dress, right?! I had fun making it and it cost a lot less than buying a dress would have. I have the fabric, patterns, and supplies to make 3 more outfits, a jean jacket, and a hoodie. It's going to take me a while to get through all that, but it should be fun. Have I mentioned that I love my sewing machine? Kudos to Frank for getting it for me one Christmas. I hadn't even asked for one and I didn't think I needed one, but it is much easier to use than my old machine. I do find that I am enjoying the process more than I used to. When I was first learning to sew, it was all about the end result. Now I still enjoy the end result, but I don't get quite so frustrated when I make mistakes and have to unpick. (Well, and I'm sure I don't have to unpick nearly as often as I did when I was learning.) I'm enjoying the learning process now too. Nice to know I've changed somewhat over the years!
So does that dress look sort of 70's-ish? That was my goal, since my doll is supposed to be living in the 1970s. I tried to find patterns that looked like they were from that time period and fabric as well. It was hard to find either of them, though. I remember rick rack being big back then, so I like that this dress has rick rack.
After I finished the dress, we made dinner and then I took Seth to soccer practice. He is still not focusing very well but hopefully he'll improve a little with time.
I'm writing my post a day early because tomorrow is probably going to be kind of crazy. Frank will be gone all day...after work he is helping with the catering for a wedding reception. We're having the sister missionaries over for dinner and I'm taking dinner over to the moving family as well. Then I'll be going to the wedding reception.
We bought our plane tickets this week and are looking forward to seeing you all in June!

No comments:
Post a Comment