Thursday, October 9, 2014

Weekly Review October 11 '14

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day so I am writing this week's post a day early.  I'm also trying to watch the BYU football game at the same time, so if this post doesn't make any sense, you will know why.  I'm realizing that my expectations for this game are completely different than last week's game.  I'm not expecting us to win, I'm just hoping we don't lose miserably.  You all know what a sad disaster last week's game was!  Since it started late in Utah, it started REALLY late out here.  I was trying to hang in there with my team but after the first interception of the 3rd quarter (around 1:00 am out here) Jared and I decided to go to bed.  (Frank had already given up.)  So I was pleasantly surprised the next morning to find out that Utah State actually hadn't scored any more that game, and we had scored another field goal.  So even though we lost, we didn't lose by as much as I expected. I just hope our team can recover somewhat from the loss of our star quarterback!  And of course I hope he recovers and can play again next season.  It's a bigger bummer for him than for anyone else!

Also on Friday (before the game), we had the boys in our carpool family come over to play for a while in the afternoon.  I returned my holter monitor as well and Frank and I went out that evening.  Originally, we were going to go out to dinner but then we ended up going out to lunch instead so neither of us were hungry that evening.  (Frank had set up a lunch for guys in the Elder's Quorum to attend that day--he's been trying to do that about once a month.  I hadn't planned to go at all, but one of the guys called and said he was bringing his wife because she needed to get out of the house, so I went also to keep her company.  We got our own table so we weren't "crashing" the Elder's Quorum lunch; it was pretty funny!)  Anyway, when we went out, we picked out paint for the bathroom and then went and got a new laptop for me.  My laptop is several years old, the screen is starting to have problems, and the plug is also having a lot of problems so that it often won't charge even though it's plugged in.  So we decided we'd better get a new one before the old one gives up completely.  Ironically, I'm still using the old one right now--just haven't had time to move everything over from the old laptop to the new one yet.

We did not end up painting the bathroom on Saturday after all.  We decided some parts of the wall needed more layers of spackle on them first, and those places needed to dry before we could paint.  That part is done now; we need to sand and then I think we can paint.  Hopefully we'll find some time to do that soon!  In the meantime, we had a wonderful weekend enjoying General Conference, and it was nice to be able to concentrate on it.  On Saturday the Sister missionaries joined us for the 2nd session and then the Elders came over for dinner afterwards.  They went with Frank and Jared to the Priesthood session, too.  On Sunday, Erin and Dan joined us for the 2nd session and we ate dinner during the second half of that session.  All of the talks were outstanding, and it was awesome that some of the speakers were able to speak in their native tongues.  I'm already enjoying being able to listen to the talks again.

This week has been fairly busy with RS stuff--lots of people to call & emails to send.  One family in the ward is currently in crisis...such a sad situation!  Not much I can do about it, unfortunately, except be a support and a listening ear.  I am also teaching this Sunday so I've been working on my lesson, I had my monthly meeting with the bishop, and we had our monthly evening meeting this week too.  For our meeting, we had a cultural night where four different sisters shared information about their native countries.  They all brought food for us to enjoy as well.  The great thing is that a couple of them are somewhat less active so it was really great to get them involved.  Besides that, it was a fun and interesting evening, we had good attendance, and I think everyone who came had a really good time.  So I was very happy with how that turned out.

The DC temple has been closed for a month and just reopened this week, so I really wanted to go.  I planned to go on Wednesday, but I haven't been feeling really great and then woke up that morning with a runny nose and bad headache.  Since we had our RS meeting that evening, and I had a really busy couple of days coming up after that, I decided I'd better stay home and try to get some rest.  I certainly didn't sit around all day, but I did take a short nap and I also tried to do things that I could do sitting down.  So I got a decent amount accomplished, but also got some rest.  I did also watch a movie--something I don't do very often at all.  As a matter of fact, I think the last time I watched a movie was the last time I was sick!  I watched Big Fish...we had it from Netflix and Jared had already watched it, but I wanted to see it before sending it back.  It was an odd movie, but I did expect that, and it was a pretty good movie too.  I enjoyed it.

Today I am still not feeling terrific, but I'm not really feeling all that bad either.  Actually, this morning I felt pretty normal but I had a busy day and by afternoon I was not feeling as well.  I actually think it might be allergies, though.  I need to start taking allergy meds again and see if it helps.  This morning I went to a sister's house to hold her baby for her so she could get some things done.  She is having a baby shower for a friend, and she has four kids under the age of five, including a 2 month old who wants to be held all the time!  She was able to get some things done while I was there, though.  The baby is sweet (of course!) so I enjoyed holding her.  Everything else I did today is not really worth noting...just a lot of household chores.  I was doing extra of those, too, since I was trying to get ahead on a few things like this post and the budget.  Tomorrow I am volunteering in Seth's classroom in the morning and we're having the carpool family over for dinner after school so I knew I wouldn't have time to get those things done tomorrow.  Saturday is going to be busy too.

Frank had a busy week also.  He went to the dentist on Monday and on Tuesday he got the stitches out of his knee.  He is able to move it around a lot better now and he doesn't have to keep it dry anymore either, so that has made life quite a bit easier for him.

Jared has a play coming up at school, so he has stayed after a few times for rehearsals.  He has not been feeling his best either, but like me he has kept plugging away.  Tanner has had mid terms this week so he's been pretty swamped but when I talked to him yesterday he had earned a 92 on his first midterm.  He also said he has over 90% in all his classes so that was good to hear!

Seth is not doing quite so well in school.  He is still having a lot of trouble with focusing, so he isn't getting a lot done.  Last week I got a report on an assessment he took called the Global Scholar test, and he did very well on the reading (above average), but he was below average on the math.  Then this week we got a letter from the school letting us know that since he scored so poorly on the Global Scholar test, they are putting him in math intervention for the year.  Seth actually likes math and I don't think he is really having a lot of trouble understanding it, so I think it's likely he scored so low because of lack of focus, not because he is really struggling in math so much, but I could be wrong.  At any rate, Frank and I both think putting him in math intervention is not a bad idea because if nothing else, he may get more one on one attention, which will help him focus, so he will hopefully learn a lot more.  I am interested in talking it all over with his teacher...I have been very worried at how little he seems to be accomplishing this year.  I am also making more of an effort to work with him on an online math program that the school provides for all the kids.  We did some of that tonight and he also did some reading on another program they have.

I got back the results from my 22 hours on the holter monitor, and as I expected they didn't see any atrial fibrillation happening.  I did have a few extra beats now and again, but that is all.  I have a follow up appointment with the cardiologist in a few weeks.

Well, now the second half is starting and I've run out of things to write about, so I will sign off and go focus on the game.  Even though BYU is behind, I am glad to see that the team seems to be pulling things together a lot better than they were in the first quarter.  Maybe the rest of the season won't be as bad as I feared!

No comments: