Friday, October 3, 2014

Weekly Review October 3 '14

I'm going to start this week with a random picture:


 I would like to live in this house!  I mean, look at that view they have behind them!  (We took this picture on the drive out to Circle of Hope a few weeks ago.  It's a beautiful drive.  The Circle of Hope is the place where Tanner did his Eagle project and where hopefully Jared will be doing his.)

The rest of this week's photos are a bit graphic, just to warn you in case you don't want to look.  Since most of you are on facebook, you already know that Frank got some stitches in his knee on Saturday.  If you haven't heard the story, we were at a cemetery helping with a service project for the Day to Serve.  Frank was helping clear brush with a chainsaw--he just got one recently from his friend that moved to Alaska.  He had just replaced the chain that morning and while he was working the chain came off.  The saw shut off, but the chain still caught him on the knee and cut 4 gashes in it...two of them were fairly deep and required 5 stitches.  Seth and I were elsewhere in the cemetery helping to paint a fence.  Frank actually kept working for about a half hour but then he started to feel a little dizzy and sick, so he came and found me.  That was the end of the service project for us!  I found Jared (painting a different fence) and dropped he and Seth off at home, then took Frank to the doctor to get the stitches.

Here's some pictures of the pants he was wearing:



And here is the wound and the stitches, as of this morning:


Frank has spent a lot of time the last week like this:


Except not always a smile on his face!  He has mostly been able to go about his normal routine,,.he can drive and everything...it's just been awkward and uncomfortable a lot of the time.  Walking in particular, since obviously the knee moves a lot when walking!  The first night he didn't sleep well at all because his knee was throbbing and it was hard to find a comfortable position.  He's done better since then.  Yesterday morning one of the stitches popped open so he had to go back to the doctor to have it looked at.  She put a different band aid on it that was supposed to be super strong but it's already fallen off!  So that was definitely not worth the $25 copay!  I guess she did also put some of that super glue stuff on the wound which is helping to hold it together at least.  He has to keep the wound dry so he wraps it in saran wrap before showering.  The stitches are supposed to come out on Tuesday.  All in all, we know it could have been a whole lot worse so we are grateful for that!

On Sunday in spite of the fact that he slept so poorly, Frank did get up and go to church--mainly because he just got called to be the Gospel Doctrine teacher and he was teaching his first lesson.  Didn't take them long to give him a new calling!  He went home after his lesson, though.  My new counselor didn't get sustained because she wasn't there.  But they did call her and she accepted, so I'm happy about that.  She won't be sustained for another week because of General Conference, which is a bit awkward, but I'll manage.

RS has actually been fairly calm lately.  I'm afraid to say that!  I mean last week I said "boring is good" and then the next day Frank got stitches!  So hopefully I didn't just do myself in.  I did go on several visits this week and it was good to get out and see some of the women in the ward.  One is going through a divorce, one has a new baby, and one just got out of the hospital.  Hopefully we lifted their spirits and helped them a little.  Other than that I had emails to send but there wasn't a lot going on.

It was a moderately busy week with a number of errands.  Jared went to the orthodontist, Snickers went to the vet for a routine vaccination, and both boys got haircuts.  I went to the library to pick up the book chat book...have only made it through the introduction so far, but it sounds really interesting.  I finished up the baseball sewing...glad to have that done!  This morning Frank and I got up at 4:30 am to make cinnamon buns / monkey bread for the Seminary class...they have a new thing this year where they have treats every Friday, provided by one of the families.  This week was our turn.

Yesterday I went to the cardiologist so they could hook me up to a holter monitor for 22 hours.  I have to return it this afternoon.  It's a little awkward but not bad at all.  I haven't felt my heart do anything unusual since they hooked it up, so I doubt they are going to get any data to analyze, but they wanted to try it anyway.  I got the results back from my echo and I have something called "mitral regurgitation" which means that one of my valves doesn't close properly so blood leaks backward back up into the upper chamber of my heart.  Actually, I've had it for a long time and already knew that issue was there...they just wanted to make sure it wasn't getting any worse.  The report said I have a very mild version of this problem, so I'm guessing it hasn't gotten any worse, and it isn't anything to be worried about--just has to be checked annually.

My other project for the week was scrubbing down the walls in our main floor bathroom.  Frank removed the wallpaper about...let's see...it must have been 3 1/2 years ago!  Then we got busy and distracted and didn't get back to it for a long time.  Scott was supposed to scrub the walls (to remove the little bits of glue still on the walls) before he left on his mission and never finished.  So anyway, it took me another year and a half to get to it, but I finally did it myself!  That's because we really want to paint it while we listen to General Conference tomorrow.  With Frank's help, I also removed all the towel racks and so forth from the walls.  We hired our neighbor (who is a professional painter) to come over yesterday to fill in all the holes left from the towel racks etc, as well as to repair the places where some of the wall came off with the wall paper and to fill in a larger hole where one of the boys pulled down one of the towel racks (by hanging on it) when they were little.  He's coming back tomorrow to sand those places down and then we can paint!  (Frank is totally capable of doing that kind of stuff himself but he was a little handicapped this week.  I was going to do it, but he convinced me to just have our neighbor do it instead.)  Frank and I are going to pick out the paint this evening.  After the painting is done, we are planning to get new towel racks, towels, faucet, mirror, vent cover and light fixture, plus add some kind of storage.  I am excited to get it all done!  Hopefully it won't take another 3 1/2 years.

The women's meeting on Saturday was wonderful!  I stayed home to watch it since I didn't want to leave wounded Frank.  Plus Seth was complaining that his stomach hurt (thankfully that didn't turn into anything).  I just love the spirit I always feel at those meetings; it's incredible!  I am looking forward to more spiritual feasting this weekend at General Conference. :)

No comments: