This week’s post is coming to you from Brevard, NC. I am
currently sitting in the laundry room at the Holiday Inn Express, waiting for
our laundry to get done. We got here on Wednesday afternoon. We left Frederick
on Tuesday in the late afternoon, after Jared got home from school (Seth had a
half day but the high school had full days) and after we got finished getting
everything packed up. We intended to leave sooner but Frank had a busy day at
work and was still on a phone call (some sort of crisis) when Jared got home
from school and Frank hadn’t even packed his stuff yet! So he got packed and he
and Jared got everything in the car while Seth and I took Snickers over to the family in our ward who are taking care of him while we are gone. We did finally
get out the door but by then it was close to rush hour traffic time so getting
out of Frederick and through Harper’s Ferry took a long time. We finally got
through all the messy stuff and then made better time. We stayed at a Fairfield
Inn in Roanoke Tuesday night. Then on Wednesday we drove the rest of the way to
Brevard. We would have got here sooner but first of all we slept in and second,
by the time we got to Asheville we were pretty hungry and we did NOT want to
eat fast food again (we had fast food for dinner the night before) so we
stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch and of course that takes some time. But
we got here eventually.
After we got to Frank's parents' house, we (mostly Frank, but I helped a little) made two cheesecakes and two chocolate cream pies. We
also helped his mom make some ham and turkey rolls (stuffing inside them) and we
took a bunch of stuff to the church. Then we took Frank's family out to eat at a Chinese buffet place. (Jared and Seth came too.) Yesterday was
Thanksgiving of course and as usual we all gathered at the church for the feast
and had all the usual kinds of food. Most of Frank's family was there, plus a few friends
from church and the Elders too. (The Elders had three other places
they were going to eat that day!) We ate and played games and just visited. I
read to Seth a bit. We just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Today we slept in again and have just been doing laundry. (I haven't been sleeping very well on this trip.)
Last weekend Frank and I did more shopping for the bathrooms
and we got some Christmas shopping done too. We still haven’t got the towel
racks or anything put up yet as we hoped. Maybe soon. Jared had a priest / laurel activity
and a dance on Saturday. I volunteered to help drive to the activity and when I
got home the Elders came over for dinner. I missed the BYU football game while
I was doing all that so of course BYU won the game by a ton of points. They
only play badly when I get to watch. The good news is, they should do well tomorrow since we'll be driving home and I'll miss the game again.
Tonight we are going to Frank's brother's house for dinner (James) and then
tomorrow we will head home. Frank has to give a talk in church AND teach the
combined Priesthood / RS lesson and I am substituting a Primary class (not
Seth’s this time) and giving a ride to a less active young sister so Sunday
will be busy. Oh! And we are also having the nice investigator lady over for another discussion.
She didn’t show up for church last Sunday and she cancelled the Monday
discussion so we were expecting the worst but then the sisters texted us on
Tuesday and said her daughter has decided to take the discussions too so
they are both coming to church on Sunday and then to a discussion in the
evening. So hopefully that will go well.
We forgot to bring a camera with us on this trip so sorry I don't have any pictures! But a nice family in Arizona texted me this picture of Tanner last night:
The message said they love him so they made sure to take good care of him for Thanksgiving / his birthday and that we have raised an amazing son. I am grateful for people like this!
That's all I've got for this week!


No comments:
Post a Comment