Let's start with a sunrise:
This week was maybe a little more eventful than last week,
but still not a lot going on. We went to the temple Friday night as
planned—just to the 7th floor meeting. As I anticipated, Frank wasn’t
up to doing anything else. The meeting was really nice, though, and it is
always really sweet to be in the temple with lots of other people I know. Feels
like what I imagine the Celestial Kingdom will be like! We were going to have a teen age boy in the ward come stay with Seth while we were gone, but then Sam showed up (we
didn’t expect him to come so early) so Sam stayed with him instead.
On Saturday morning we all went to the church to help load
up chairs to take to the Stake Center; then we went to the Stake Center and
helped set up all the chairs. A few other people from our ward came, and a few
from another ward came. It was a pretty small group, but enough to get
everything done in a reasonable amount of time. Frank went to the leadership
session of Stake Conference that afternoon but by the time he got home from
that he was hurting a lot and decided not to go to the adult session on
Saturday evening. I did go, and it was really good. We had a member of the
seventy visiting—Elder Clay—and he gave a really good talk. I really liked him;
he was funny but also got some really great points across. His talk on Saturday
night focused on personal revelation, and he basically said that if you are a
baptized member with the gift of the Holy Ghost, then you can receive
revelation. On Sunday he talked about handling questions and doubts, and he
said “if you have a doubt and that’s all you focus on, you will leave the
church, guaranteed”. He talked about better ways to handle questions that come
up and said that all of our questions will be answered eventually. We all went
to the general session on Sunday morning. I was singing in the choir, so I
didn’t get to sit with Frank and Seth. Before the meeting started, they had a
slide show running on the televisions with pictures from service projects
throughout the year and they also had pictures of all the missionaries serving
from our stake right now. I had to send pictures of my two boys to the stake
executive secretary earlier. Well, since I was singing in the choir and we had
practice right before the meeting, I didn’t get to see the slide show. After
the meeting ended, I ran back to the cultural hall to watch the slide show and
I saw a whole bunch of pictures of the service projects but they turned it off
before they got to the missionaries. I was really sad I didn’t get to see that
part! Oh, but they did ratify Jared’s ordination as an Elder (although they read his name as “Jared Anthony Cleveland” instead of
“Antony”. Wasn’t the first time that’s happened to him and won’t be the last
either, I’m sure, though.) I had choir practice again that night because
we are still preparing for the Easter fireside. I have Messiah songs running
through my head pretty much all the time, but that’s okay.
Seth was out of school Monday for President’s Day and
Tuesday for a teacher work day. Frank had Monday off for President’s Day too. We
took Seth to see the new Lego Batman movie, and it was pretty good. Seth loved
it, of course, and there were lots of funny parts that adults could appreciate
too. There were funny references to all the other Batman movies, and even the
old Batman television show from the 60’s. On Tuesday I took Seth to the park
for a couple of hours. Our ward has a weekly play group for all the young moms;
it’s usually on Wednesday but this week they moved it to Tuesday so that older
kids who are normally in school could come too. A couple of the boys Seth’s age
came so that was fun for him. This whole week has been pretty nice (feels like
spring again) although it was only in the low 50s on Tuesday and a bit windy,
so it was a bit on the cold side, but not too bad. Yesterday it got up into the
70s! Felt like April 23rd, not February 23rd. I drove
around with the windows down and the sun roof open!
Frank had his second cortisone shot on Wednesday morning. I
took him to that, since it makes him feel dizzy. He hasn’t been as nauseous
this time, but he has been in a lot more pain. His whole neck just hurts a lot.
He had planned to work from home Wednesday, which turned out to be a good
thing. Yesterday he decided to take the day off. He is still groaning every time he moves; I hate it! I can’t say he just took it easy,
though. He still did quite a bit of work for clients and he has also been
working on a computer for a lady in our ward all week. She asked Dad on Sunday if he could look at
her computer for her because it had been having some problems the last few
days. We went over Sunday evening so he could look at it and he left some
things running on it that night. Anyway, it turns out her computer has a really
bad virus and he will probably have to wipe her hard drive to get rid of it. In
the meantime, he got all of her stuff off of her computer and put it on a
laptop that we had lying around and gave her that to use. Actually, we’re just
going to let her keep it since we don’t need it. If he is able to get her
computer working again, her kids can use that one. She came over to pick up the
laptop this morning, and she is really grateful. Dad spent a lot of time on it
and she offered to pay him but he didn’t charge her anything, because she and her husband just separated and we know money is tight. He has a big soft spot for people in situations like that.
Speaking of laptops, that reminds me that I got a new one
this week! Frank needed to buy a couple of laptops for a client and I ended up
going with him to buy a new one. (I think that was Tuesday night.) We’ve been
talking about getting a new one for me for months because my old one is falling
apart. The case is breaking open. We just got the new one set up yesterday, but
haven’t had time to get all of my stuff transferred off the old laptop yet, so
I am still using the old one. Hopefully by next week I will be using the new
one.
Wednesday I went visiting teaching and yesterday I got my hair
cut. In between everything else, I have been busy this week working on a Cub
Scout slide show for the Blue & Gold Banquet, and wishing I had got that
done before Jared left. It would have been a lot easier with his help! I did
finally succeed in getting it done, though, and Frank just added the music to it
for me last night so it is ready to go. Good thing, since the Blue & Gold
Banquet is tonight! (The slide show is just pictures from all of the activities
we did this past year in Cub Scouts.) We also made a cake for the banquet last night, although it still needs to be decorated. Technically, Frank is supposed
to be helping Seth make the cake but I have a feeling I’ll be doing it since Frank is hurting so much right now. Please continue to keep him in your prayers. Today he went to the data center here in Frederick to work, since it is not so far to drive.
I just heard yesterday that the DC temple is going to be
closed next year (March) for extensive renovations and won’t be reopened until
2020! Two years! I am super bummed that it is going to be closed for so long,
especially since the next closest temple (Philly) is two and a half hours away.
However, when the renovations are done, there will be an open house and the
temple will be rededicated. So I am really, really, really happy about that!!
That is going to be AWESOME!!! Also, Seth will be old enough by then to go to
the dedication. Actually, I hope all of myboys will be able to come to the
dedication somehow. I think it is something that everyone should get to
experience at least once.


No comments:
Post a Comment