This last week went by fast. I am happy that we are in
February now! January is not my favorite month. We’ve really been spoiled this
winter, though. We have had very few miserably cold days. Of course, we’ve had
hardly any snow too. Frank is so sad about that!
Last week when I wrote, we were getting ready to go to the
Pinewood Derby. Last year we combined with two other wards for the derby, but
this year we did it by ourselves. We only have 10 Cub Scouts in our ward, but
it was really nice to do it with a small group. The kids all seemed to have fun
and no one seemed upset if their car didn’t do very well. Seth’s car was one of
the ones that didn’t do very well, but almost all the cars we’ve made over the years
have been duds. This year, I think it was Jared’s fault because when he was
putting the first wheel on Seth’s car the wood split on either side of the
groove where the wheel goes. I mean, he didn’t do it on purpose, but that meant
that wheel didn’t go in quite right and didn’t turn very well. I really think
the wheels turning well is more important than anything else (weight of the
car, aerodynamics, etc.) Anyway, Seth thought his car looked really cool and he
had fun at the derby and he didn’t care at all that he didn’t win anything, so
it was fine.
We had a pretty busy weekend. On Saturday Jared and I went
to the temple and he got to see a different movie, so that was nice. I mean, it
would have been nice anyway! I always enjoy going. Sam came on Saturday
afternoon to spend the rest of the weekend with us; he wanted to be here to
hear Jared’s talk on Sunday. So yes—Jared spoke on Sunday and he did a great
job. His topic was “being a disciple teacher”. All the talks were really good
and it was a very uplifting meeting. Jessie and her whole family came to hear
Jared speak also, which I thought was really nice. I didn’t have choir practice
that night because there was a stake youth fireside but I have it every Sunday
from here on out until the beginning of April! Jared went to the fireside even
though technically he’s not a “youth” anymore—I think he just wanted to see
friends and socialize mostly, although he said the meeting was really good too.
We fed the Sister missionaries on Monday. This week has been fairly quiet without a lot going on
other than we’ve been trying to wrap up all the odds and ends of things Jared
needs to do to be ready to go in a few more days. Since I wasn’t swamped, I
also started a few other projects. One is a Cub Scout slide show for the Blue
& Gold Banquet, which will be at the end of this month. My main motivation
for starting that now is that I’m not sure how to work the program but Jared
does, so I wanted to get it started before he leaves. If I can ask him
questions and work out the bugs, I think I’ll be able to finish it without him
here. I also started working on our income tax return, which seems to get more
complicated and take more time every year! But I am making progress.
Jared has had a fairly busy week. Besides working on mission
stuff, he also went to one of Jessie’s swim meets on Tuesday. He worked on
Wednesday and he’ll be working again tomorrow. He also went to his high school on
Wednesday and again today to help his former theater teacher teach some technical theater
stuff—he’s supposed to get paid for that. He is at the school now but will be
home soon and then he is going to go to the temple. He has NOT done any packing
in his room yet and I’m afraid he is going to run out of time to get that done
which means I get to do it after he leaves. I ended up doing that for both Scott and Tanner after they left.
I had book chat last night. Since we started meeting in the
evening, we have been having one person bring dessert instead of doing a
potluck lunch like we used to do. But over the years we have developed this
tradition to have fondue for our February meeting, so this time we still had
fondue. One of the book club members always makes cheese and chocolate fondue and the rest of
us bring things to dip in them (fruits, cake, pretzels, bread, kielbasa,
vegetables, etc). It’s always really yummy!! We discussed the book A Man Called Ove, which is really good--if you haven't read it, you should! Now we are going to read a book called All the Light We Cannot See. I put it on hold at the library last night so hopefully I will get it soon.
Frank has had a very busy week. He continues to have a lot of
things to do for clients, but he has also been very busy at his regular job. He
has got home pretty late a couple of nights this week. The reason he is so busy
at Marriott is because while he was out on leave, some of the people who were
supposed to be working on some of his projects didn’t get anything done on
them. So now he is trying to get those projects caught up. He did get one of
them finished up this week. I haven't noticed him being in as much pain this week, but I'm not sure if that is because he is feeling better than he was last week or if he just hasn't been around as much. He's scheduled for his first cortisone shot on Wednesday and I hope that will help him a lot.
We have Sam coming to stay this weekend again—so that he can
see Jared one more time before he goes. I am excited for Jared and mostly happy
that he is going but I am also trying to ignore the twinges in my heart when I
realize that he probably really won’t live at home ever again after this. I
mean, he’ll be here to visit in between college semesters and such, but that’s
probably it. When I realize that all three of myolder boys are mostly at that
stage, it makes me feel kind of sad. I’m not sure how we got to this point! I
am so proud of all three of them and I love seeing the great young men they have become.
I really wouldn’t trade! But I do wish that they could all move into houses on
the same street with us or something! J
I can’t believe I forgot to mention last week that the new
Super Wal-Mart near us opened last Wednesday! I mean that is so exciting,
right?! I actually do the Wal-Mart shopping on Wednesday every week, so it was
convenient for me. On the first day they had free samples of food and a big
cake and such (I skipped the cake though—wasn’t really feeling it at 10:00 am).
The new store is huge and clean and even more exciting—they have brand new
shopping carts! I thought they’d just bring over all the old ones from the old
store, but they didn’t. The wheels run perfectly smoothly with no clunking or
anything…such a luxury! J I don’t
like the layout of the new store as well as the old one, though. It’s nice that
it’s bigger and has more selection, but the sections I need to use the most are
spread out all over the store instead of right next to each other like they
were in the old store. That’s progress, I guess! I’m currently just trying to
memorize where everything is located in the new store so that I don’t have to
go back and forth looking for things.
I have started to learn how to play the ukulele. Jared has
one, and he put an app on my phone that has a series of basic ukulele lessons
on it so I can keep working on it after he’s gone. I would like to have Seth
learn how to play too. I’ve only done one lesson so far so I’m not proceeding
very quickly, but the one lesson was pretty fun.
I’ve been having some issues with vertigo the last few
weeks. It’s nothing to worry about…it’s happened to me before and I know what causes
it, and it’s nothing serious. It’s kind of come and gone a lot over the last
few weeks, but on Sunday morning things were really spinning and I even started
to feel nauseated! So I said a prayer that I would feel better because I really
wanted to enjoy Jared’s talk, and the vertigo went away for the rest of the
day. I’ve had a few issues with it this week, but not much and nothing that
made me feel sick. I just have some exercises I need to keep doing and it will
go away eventually.



No comments:
Post a Comment