Friday, October 13, 2017

Weekly Review October 13 '17

Here is what we did this week:

Friday:  Seth got out of school 2 hours early, so the day went by fast. I was very busy all day, but I did finish cleaning out Jared's bedroom.

Saturday: I worked on Cub Scouts with Seth—he set up an exercise program that he will be doing for the next 4 weeks. I continued to work on my photo scanning project and I completed scanning all the photos in one of the albums—it felt good to hit a milestone like that although I have a lot more to go. I bought some plastic storage bins and put the rest of Jared's stuff in them and we all took them to the storage unit. I also did the usual things—cleaning the kitchen floor and crocheting, plus reviewing the material for the self reliance group—so it was a busy day. Frank was also busy and one of the things he did was to do a hard reset of my phone because it has been having trouble receiving text messages lately. He took all my info off and put it on his old phone (he got a new phone a couple of weeks ago) so that it wouldn’t get lost. That mostly worked, so I didn’t lose any photos or contact information but for some reason it DID erase all my appointments from my calendar. I actually don’t even use my calendar on my phone but it was synced with the calendar on my tablet, which is the one I do use. So that was a bummer!! I was feeling pretty grumpy about it. Not necessarily at Frank, because it really wasn’t his fault, but just grumpy that it happened.

Sunday: I can’t think of anything out of the ordinary for Sunday, other than it went by fast. I felt like all I did was go to church, fix dinner, clean up dinner, and go to the self reliance group. It did start to rain a little bit that day which was nice because we haven’t had rain in a while.

Monday: It rained a lot on Monday! We were getting the remnants of Hurricane Nate, and it was also very, very humid and warm. It felt like a sauna outside! I spent some time that day calling the dentist, orthodontist, etc to find out when our next appointments are so I could put them back on my calendar. I’m still worried that I probably forgot something, but I think most of my appointments are back on my calendar now. Other than that, it was a pretty normal day with the normal chores to do as well as crocheting and preparing for den meeting the next day.

Tuesday: It was really warm (80s) and everyone was having a hard time believing that it’s October! That morning I went with the RS president to visit a new sister that has just been added to my visiting teaching route. She has actually lived here for several years but she’s less active and we didn’t have her records so we didn’t know she was here. Sadly, her husband died suddenly of a heart attack about 6 weeks ago, leaving her with two young children. Apparently, one of the sister missionaries who taught her has kept in touch with her and lives in Virginia now so she was the one who contacted our bishop to let us know this sister was here and could use some help. She is from the Ukraine originally, which is where she joined the church. Anyway, I got to meet her and we are trying to set up some help for her to help her get through this difficult time. She seems really nice. After I picked Seth up from school, I took him to the library to get a library card. His class is going on a field trip to the library next week to do some research and I realized that I have never gotten him a library card! I’ve definitely checked out many things for him over the years, but just never got him his own card. So now he has one. After the library, I took him to get his haircut—long overdue for that! He had school pictures being taken the next day and I didn’t want him to look like a shaggy dog in his picture. That night we had den meetings but my one boy didn’t show up so I just helped with the Wolves.

Wednesday: It rained some more and it was also a lot cooler. Remember that lawn that wasn’t long enough to mow last week? It’s long enough now! Trouble is, it has to dry out before I can mow it. I went to the religion class and it was really good. We were talking about the family being the center of God’s plan. Wow, the family is so important! I mean, I knew that already but this class was a big reminder just how important the family is. We talked about things we have learned from living in a family, and what things are best taught in the family and so on. It’s incredible to think about—how important my family has been to me in my life as I have grown up and how important the family I have now is to me. I feel very, very lucky to have the family that I do. After the class, I went to buy some more yarn for the blanket I am working on and then I went to the vet to pick up some food for Snickers. They have put him on a special diet to help prevent more bladder stones. It’s super expensive!! I’m not sure if it’s going to work out because Snickers doesn’t like it. He gobbled it up the first night and yesterday morning, but last night he only ate some of it and this morning he has just picked at it, so I’m not sure what we are going to do about that. Maybe if he gets hungry enough he will eat it! After doing all that, I only had about 45 minutes before I needed to pick up Seth so rather than drive home I went shopping for shoes. I’ve been meaning to do that for a while because I realized I didn’t have a pair of black dress shoes and I have also been wanting to get some boots. I did find some boots and some black dress shoes so I’m glad I took the time to do that.

Thursday: I spent the afternoon hemming three pairs of baseball pants for a guy who used to live in our ward. I've been doing stuff like this for him for a number of years. He brought the pants to me a couple of weeks ago and I finally got around to getting them done. A friend in my ward came over to look at the walls in the bedrooms that I want to paint (I asked her to do that because I know she has done a lot of painting and knows a lot about it). She said that even though we have some big patches where the paint has come off, it would still be okay to patch those spots, sand them, and then put an acrylic primer all over the walls before repainting them. We shouldn’t have any trouble with the paint underneath continuing to peel if we do that. I am glad that we don’t have to remove all the paint from the walls after all because that would have been a whole lot of work!! It will still be a lot of work, but not as much. I got to talk to Tanner for a while and he is doing well—he just needs to remember to get his ADD prescription refilled! It rained a little again, and it was still pretty cool. So strange that a few days ago it felt like summer and now it definitely feels like fall!

Friday: Today it is cloudy and cool with a few sprinkles coming down. I got the budget updated very quickly this morning, which was nice. Sometimes it takes all day! I had my first physical therapy appointment this morning also which was interesting. After talking to me and then feeling all over my hip, leg, and back (and hitting several sore spots), the therapist said that the problem is really in my back, not my hip, and that is what is causing the hip pain. I’m not surprised—my back has had problems for a long time. I just didn’t stop to think that the pain in my hip could be related to problems with my back, but it makes sense. Anyway, she did a lot of massaging and pushing on various spots all over and by the time I was done my left leg / hip felt a lot “looser” (less tense). It was actually really relaxing to have someone working on my leg / hip / back like that! The hardest part, actually, was remembering to be relaxed instead of trying to “help” her. She had to remind me a couple of times to just lie there and let her move things around. I’m not used to relaxing that much—ha!! She said I should come back once or twice a week so I will be going back next week.


While I am crocheting, I like to watch something—it keeps me entertained. I was watching a British television series (Call the Midwife) for the last few months but I made it through all of the episodes so I needed something new to watch. I came across a series called “Secrets of Great British Castles” that I have been watching this week. It’s been really interesting and Frank and Seth have even watched some of it with me. There are only 2 seasons with 6 episodes each, though, so I am almost through watching all of them already. I’ve learned a lot about British history and now I really want to go visit all those castles! There were quite a few gruesome things that happened at those castles, too, though. I’ve learned a lot more about medieval methods of execution than I really wanted to know! In the evenings, Seth and I have continued to read Percy Jackson and we are getting close to finishing the fifth book. 

That is all I can think of to report this week. Life isn't particularly exciting lately, but it is busy and good!

No comments: