Friday, October 20, 2017

Weekly Review October 20 '17

This week was actually really busy. I’m not sure how much of it will be interesting to read about, but I have definitely not been at a loss for things to do. I’ve actually been feeling a bit frantic sometimes about getting everything done, but it has also been a good week where I have learned some really cool things.

Friday: This was actually the last day that I had some free time! I got through my list of things to do and even had time to watch a movie that night. I haven’t done that in a long time. Frank had to make a trip down to a client to fix a problem they were having so he was gone all evening.

Saturday: I had a pretty long list of things to do, and then I ended up spending more time than I had planned helping Frank get some shopping and other things done that he needed to do to prepare for our annual Ward Chili Cook off, which was that evening. So I didn’t get through my list, but the things I didn’t do were things I wanted to do, more than things that had to be done right away. One of the things we did was to go buy some primer and painting supplies. However, we had trouble finding the kind of primer that my friend told us to buy. The guy working at the store said that this other primer they had was the same thing as what we needed. I was pretty sure he didn’t know what he was talking about, but we bought some anyway, thinking we could always return it if it wasn’t the right kind. Sure enough, after talking to my friend she said it wasn’t the right kind so we need to return it and keep looking for the right kind. However, we haven’t had time to do that this week so the painting project has basically been at a standstill. The Ward Chili Cook Off was nice although we didn’t get as large of a crowd as we usually get. We didn’t make chili this year, we made a big pot of macaroni & cheese for the kids instead and it was a big hit.

Sunday: It was really busy. I spent all day either at church, at the self reliance group meeting, or setting up help for the sister I visit teach who is recently widowed. I set up a sign up genius thing for that, and within 24 hours all the time slots except one were filled—we have an awesome ward!!! Using the online sign up will save time in the end, but it did take some time to get it set up and to work out details with a lot of people—I had a lot of text messages and emails going back and forth that afternoon, and it took up all the time I had in between church and the self reliance group meeting. Our group meeting went pretty well but for some reason everybody had a difficult week in one way or another and only half of our group was able to make it to the meeting. Crazy!! Hopefully they will all make it this week, though.

Monday: Besides all the usual chores, I also went online to find a Halloween costume for Seth (he always wants to be something that is hard to make or find!), prepared for the next day’s den meeting, began preparing for this week’s self reliance meeting, and took Snickers’ food back to the vet to exchange it. We decided that some of the food we had was not good because the consistency of the food in some of the cans was much softer and moister than others. So we got him new cans and the food in these ones seems to be moister although he still doesn’t love it. He is eating it, though. Frank found out that the Sisters didn’t have a dinner appointment so he invited them to dinner that night (he didn’t know I had signed up to feed them later in the week!) and they stayed for FHE too. It was nice to have them over, though, because they had just found out that both of them were being transferred and we were getting Elders instead. So I’m glad we could have the Sisters over one more time before we lost them.

Tuesday: All the usual chores, plus I gave a ride to an investigator to a place she needed to go, went to physical therapy, went to den meeting, booked a flight for Tanner so he can be home for Christmas (& then go back to school in January), and went to lunch with a friend. A new Chikcfila just opened up on Thursday near us, and her son is working there. On Tuesday, they wanted to test out their systems and work out all the bugs before they actually opened, so the employees were given coupons to give family and friends—each was good for two free meals. They were open for one hour at lunch time, drive thru only on Tuesday. So anyway, my friend had a coupon and no one else in her family was available to go to lunch with her, so she invited me to go instead. I’m not a huge Chickfila fan, but it was pretty good and I had a good visit with my friend too.

Wednesday: The usual chores again, plus I went to religion class again. We talked about Eve and her importance in the plan for the human family and it was really enlightening. A group of us were going to go to lunch afterwards but at the last minute everyone else had things come up and had to cancel except for my friend and I--the same friend who took me to Chickfila. Since we had just had lunch together the day before, we decided not to go. Hopefully we can get the group together another week. That did give me time to do all the other things I needed to do that day, so that was a good thing. That evening Seth had his first swimming lesson…except he didn’t. His lesson was scheduled from 7:30 to 8:00 and he is allowed to get in the pool 30 minutes before his lesson to “practice”. In this case, he didn’t have anything to practice yet but we still arrived early so he could get in the water and maybe do a little bit of floating. I was allowed to get in with him, so I wore my swimsuit and got in to help him float a bit. Seth had a lot of fun playing in the pool for 25 minutes. It was nearly time for his lesson to start when a little boy in one of the lessons right before him had an accident and pooped in the pool. So they had to clean the pool instead and there wasn’t time for his lesson so we had to reschedule. It was kind of frustrating, but the trip over there wasn’t a total waste because Seth got to see what it is like there and he even observed other kids taking lessons and on the way home he said “I have no idea why I didn’t want to do that.” (He’s been very resistant to the idea of taking swimming lessons.) Hearing him say that made it worth the trip for me!

Thursday: Besides the usual chores, I also went to the temple. I had 3 family names that needed initiatories done so I did that. It was kind of a quick trip (not counting the terrible traffic on the way down) but that was perfect because I didn’t have a lot of time. It was great to be in the temple, even if it was only for about an hour. I also enjoyed listening to uplifting music all the way there and back. That evening we had the new Elders over for dinner. One of them is brand new, straight from the MTC and the other one has been out for two transfers. They seem to be really sharp missionaries, though. I’m sure they will do well here! In addition to dinner, I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for dessert and I am hoping to find the time to take some of those over to some of the sisters I visit teach. After the Elders left I quickly mowed the lawn before it got dark.

Friday: I went to physical therapy this morning and it was interesting because she spent most of the time working on my upper body—places like my neck, face, and chest. She said all of those spots were connected to my spinal cord, though. She definitely found some tender spots and they were feeling better by the time I left. Everything in our body is connected to everything else! I mean, I already knew that but going to physical therapy is reminding me of that. I haven’t done much else yet today besides mail a package to Jared for his birthday. I meant to get that in the mail a lot sooner, but I was waiting on one thing that I ordered for him. It still hasn't gotten here so I gave up and sent the package. I guess he will get the other thing for Christmas instead. Seth doesn’t have school today but we have a pretty busy day planned.

I have continued to exercise and to crochet every day. I added a couple of new colors to the blanket this week so I have used all 10 colors now. Frank is still exercising too, and we are both trying to be more careful about what we eat. I’ve noticed this week that my weight is a little lower than it has been in a long time. I mean, mostly I just go up and down in this 5 pound range but lately that range has dropped a bit. So I’m still going up and down, but overall I am a pound or two lighter. So maybe exercising regularly for the last two years has not been a total waste! Maybe it is actually going to make a difference eventually, even if that difference is coming very slowly. I would be happy if that were the case.

Seth is doing an exercise program right now too—to pass off a requirement for a Webelos badge. I’ve been reminding him to do that on the appropriate days (he exercises 3 times a week) and he has improved quite a bit since he started. Seth and I have continued to read whenever we can and we finished the fifth Percy Jackson book last night. Now we are going to start on the follow up series to that series, so I guess there is a lot more Percy Jackson in our future.

The weather has been really nice here lately. After raining most of last week, this week has been mostly sunny. The daytime temperatures have also been very pleasant. We have had some very cool nights—we’ve had our first couple of frost advisories this week and the mornings have been quite chilly. We even turned the heat on a few nights ago. The days have been just perfect, though. Warm, sunny, light breeze—perfect!! We’ve mostly had a warm fall so the leaves aren’t turning much yet but we are starting to see some more color now, especially with the cold nights.

Seth hasn’t had much screen time this week. His room had gotten to be very messy so on Monday I told him he could have screen time that day, but after Monday he would have to clean his room before he got anymore screen time. To my surprise, he kept putting off cleaning it. He finally did clean his room this morning but that means he had three whole days without any screen time! Instead, he played with his toys a lot (which made his room even messier), read a lot, and played outside a lot. Although I would have liked his room to be cleaned, I really didn’t mind that it took him that long to get to it. It was great having the television off so much!

I started reading the material for our next self reliance meeting early this week because I am the facilitator this Sunday and I like to be really familiar with the material before we meet. Every week we have a short section where we learn about a principle of self reliance. This week’s principle is going to be time management. I really liked the way they suggested we manage our time. Here are the steps:

1.      List tasks: Each morning, make a list of tasks to do. Add names of people to serve.
2.      Pray: Pray for guidance. Review your list of tasks. Listen. Commit to do your best.
3.      Set priorities: On your list of tasks, put a 1 by the most important, a 2 by the next most important, and so on.
4.      Set goals, Act: Listen to the Spirit. Set goals. Work hard. Start with the most important task and work down the list.
5.      Report: Each night, report to Heavenly Father in prayer. Ask questions. Listen. Repent. Feel His love.

Now, I actually do most of those things already. I’m definitely good at listing tasks, setting priorities, and working hard, and I do try to schedule in things like serving others. But I realized when I read the steps that I don’t include prayer and reporting and listening to the spirit as much as I should. So I decided to start working on those things this week. I still didn’t do great, but I did do better. In particular, I started out on Monday in my prayers by sharing how stressed I’ve felt lately about all the things I need to do. I acknowledged that I need help getting everything done, particularly in making enough time to help others when they need it. I asked for help in finding ways to serve people even when I’m busy. And something really cool happened! One day I kept seeing the face of one of my friends in my mind. I’ve been meaning to contact her for a while. I took a few minutes to send her an email to let her know that I’ve been thinking about her. It wasn’t a long email, but I tried to convey in a few short sentences how much she means to me and to many others. Later that day I got a short email back. She said that she didn’t have a lot of time but she just wanted me to know that my email was an answer to her prayers. I was so grateful that I was prompted to contact her! I was also grateful that Heavenly Father showed me that I don’t have to have a lot of time to serve others. So many things we do to serve others are just little, simple things but they can make a big difference.  Heavenly Father also helped me to notice the things that I am doing to serve others. I realized that actually almost everything I do is service in one way or other—even if I am just serving my family by buying groceries or folding clothes or cleaning the bathrooms. Being in a family and being a member of the church actually gives us many, many chances to serve and I am grateful for that. Without those two things (family and church) I would be a very self centered person.

I’ve been making an effort this week also to read a conference talk every day. They have been so inspiring and uplifting! A lot of the things I’ve read this week have gone hand in hand with my attempts to manage my time and make time to serve others. I love it when that happens. Not a coincidence, I am sure!

Now I had better finish up and get on with all the other things I need to do today. I'm having trouble getting photos off my phone since Frank reset it, so I don't have any pictures today but I will try to get him to help me with that soon so that I can add pictures to my posts again. I haven't taken very many pictures lately anyway, so you are not missing much. :)

No comments: