This week was quite busy with a few unexpected things
happening.
Friday: We went to the Financial Planning Workshop that evening
and it was really interesting. I went to two of the classes and Frank went to one
of them. Frank went home after the one class since he wasn’t feeling great. There
was some good information and now we need to find some time to actually write
our will (don’t worry—neither of us is going to die soon, it’s just good to be
prepared) and to meet with a financial planner to talk about our plans for
retirement. It’s hard to believe Frank is only about 20 years away from
that. Before we went to the workshop, Frank went out and bought a new television.
Why? Because Seth started watching it after school and suddenly the picture
went out. There was still sound, but no picture. So after calling the company
that made it and checking several “fixes” online, he decided it was shot. And
since Seth and Frank can’t live 24 hours without television, he bought a new one.
He did find a nice one (same size as the old one) for a good price.
Saturday: Frank seemed to “turn the corner” and started
feeling a lot better than he had the rest of that week. In the morning he was
looking up some more things about the old television online and found one more
thing that might be wrong with it. So after taking the back off and taking off
some parts and getting some things soldered back together, guess what? The
picture was back! Part of me was glad because we only had that television for 3
years and I thought that was awfully early for it to die, but part of me was
frustrated that we had already bought another television! (It was already out
of the box and all set up.) So now Frank has a really large television in his
office area, which he is pretty happy about. I have no idea what we are going
to do with the even older one that he already had down there. I took Seth to
his “make up” swimming lesson that afternoon. While we were on the way home, he
said his head hurt and shortly after we got home he said his stomach hurt too
and then he started throwing up. He threw up several times and then laid on the
couch for a few hours but by early evening he was feeling a lot better and
started wanting to eat food. He had crackers and soda and kept everything down
and said he felt just fine. He’s been fine since, so that was kind of weird.
(I’m not complaining about the short duration of his illness, though!) In the
meantime, I tried to get everything else done that I needed to do that day,
which was just the usual Saturday chores. That evening, Sam and Daniel arrived
to spend the night. Daniel was here because he had a job interview in this area
on Monday.
Sunday: The morning was a bit eventful for me because my
blow dryer was having issues. It hasn’t been sounding great for a while, and I
even remember earlier in the week thinking that I should probably get a new one
before it died completely. I forgot, though. When I turned it on Sunday morning
it sounded absolutely terrible, so I was kind of afraid to use it. I decided to
let my hair air dry but my hair takes so long to dry that it soon became
evident that it was not going to dry in time for church. So I did use the dryer
to help dry it, worrying the whole time that the thing was going to blow up or
burst into flames or something! I did manage to get my hair mostly dry, though,
so I didn’t have to go to church with dripping wet hair. (Frank tried it out later that day and it started smoking!! So we threw it away.) This Sunday was our
Primary Sacrament Meeting presentation. When Seth started throwing up on
Saturday, I thought for sure he would miss it but then he got better so fast
that he was able to go. I felt kind of guilty about it, since he had been
throwing up less than 24 hours before, but I really didn’t want him to miss it
when he seemed to feel just fine. (Plus he kept insisting that he was fine and
that he could go.) Hopefully he didn’t expose anyone to anything. The program
was really great, as always, and Seth did a good job on his part. It’s hard to
believe that he is one of the oldest kids in Primary now. Next year will be his
last year for the program. After church, we enjoyed visiting with Daniel and
Sam. They had dinner with us and then they both headed south—Daniel was staying
with a friend in Virginia that night because it was a lot closer to where his
interview was. I went to my self reliance group meeting as usual and Frank went
to visit a family and to take them the sacrament.
Monday: I volunteered in the school library that morning,
then spent the rest of the day doing the usual chores. I also set up a new sign
up genius for help for Renata for the next couple of weeks and read over the
self reliance materials for our next meeting. We had family night that evening,
of course.
Tuesday: It was a beautiful day, weather wise. I was working
hard to get everything done that morning and while I was cleaning the bathrooms
my back started hurting. It hurt quite a bit the rest of the day. Not enough to
keep me from getting things done, but enough that I had to move slowly and more
carefully. I did manage to get everything done, though, and even worked on
Christmas projects for a while, which was something I hadn’t planned to do that
day. We had the Elders over for dinner that night; I made homemade pizza which
they really liked. Trick or treaters started arriving shortly after we finished
dinner, even before the Elders left. They didn’t have a car and were waiting
for their ride so they ended up staying a lot longer than they planned. They
sat out on the front step with Rank while he passed out candy; I took Seth
around our court. As usual, that is all he wanted to do. I would say nearly 75%
of the people in our court don’t pass out candy anymore but he still filled his
pumpkin most of the way up. We had a lot fewer trick or treaters come by this
year than the last few years so we still have a lot of candy leftover which is
bad news for Frank and I since we are trying not to eat that kind of stuff! It is
hard not to eat it when a big bowl of it is sitting in front of you.
Wednesday: My back felt a lot better, thankfully. It was
cloudy and a lot colder, and when I went to the store there was Christmas stuff
EVERYWHERE. It felt like we went from beautiful fall to dead of winter
overnight, which was strange! (Yesterday it was sunny and warm again, though.)
I worked on Christmas projects a little and ordered some donuts for a Cub Scout
activity on Saturday. I went to the religion class as usual and took Seth to
his third swimming lesson that evening. I am getting to know some of the other
parents whose kids have lessons right before Seth as well as at the same time,
and it is cool that I have had chances to talk to them about the church a
little bit. Frank had his monthly meeting with the bishop while we were at
swimming lessons. When we were getting ready to say prayers that evening, Seth
jumped on the bed and banged into Frank’s left knee really hard which of course
hurt a lot! (That’s the knee that he had surgery on, you may remember.)
He actually used crutches to get around on Thursday and today it is still
hurting although it’s getting better.
Thursday: I had physical therapy first thing and I got an
hour of physical therapy instead of the usual half hour since the appointment
after me cancelled. She worked me all over, especially after I told her about
my back hurting. Last night I went over to help Renata with her kids. She goes
to a bereavement support group on Thursdays so I stayed with her kids while she
went to that, then helped her with bedtime and talked for a while with her
after she got back. Her son had been coughing and didn’t act like he felt very
well. I had been there less than an hour when he lay down on the couch and went
to sleep. He slept the rest of the time and when she got home and took his
temperature he had a fever. So meanwhile, I spent most of the evening listening
to her little girl’s chatter and brushing Barbie dolls’ hair! Not something I
have ever done as a mother!
Friday: There’s not a lot to write about today yet. It was
very foggy this morning and now it is cloudy and getting colder. So we are back
to winter today, I guess! I’m just doing the usual Friday chores today so
there’s not much to write about. Tomorrow is going to be quite busy so I’m glad
that today is pretty low key.
Frank was able to help me get the pictures off my phone this
morning, so I will include a small photo dump! (I haven’t been taking very many
pictures lately,though.)
The Sister Missionaries, who recently left us:
The afghan I am working on now:
(These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago, so I have quite a bit more done now.)
The last time I went to the temple, they had added these sort of tree things to the flower beds. They make me think of the middle East, for some reason:
The temple, on that same day. Very sunny and beautiful!:
Seth's school project on Italy:
More of the afghan (lots of new colors!):
Blurry photo of Seth at the Trunk or Treat games (he is wearing a Master Chief costume, minus the mask, and no--I don't let him play Halo! But he knows all about it, thanks to his older brothers) In the picture, he is playing "human Hungry Hippos". (People lie down on a board with wheels, hold onto a laundry basket and try to "capture" balls with the basket. A team mate pushes them out to the balls and then pulls them back to bring in the balls.):
Seth floating all by himself!:
I took this picture because I was watching Fox news one morning and I was like "Hey! I know where that guy is!":
I completely forgot to take a picture of Seth in his Halloween costume, but here is Snickers in his:
I will end on that adorable note!!
















No comments:
Post a Comment