Unlike last week (and pretty much every week since March) I had something on the calendar almost every day this week. I don't think there's a lot to say about all those things, but I'll have a little more to talk about this week.
Last Friday evening we went to Dairy Queen to get blizzards. It wasn't a date because Seth came with us but it was nice for all of us to get out of the house for a little while. On Saturday our ward did our annual "Day to Serve" project...we have been collecting food to donate to some local food banks, and Saturday was the day we dropped off our donations. I took over our family's contributions and while I was there got to talk to a few ward members...one of whom I haven't seen (either in person or online) since March...so that was nice. Then I drove to my friend Rebekah's house and we sat on her porch and talked for a few hours.
On Sunday we had in-person Sacrament meeting and we were assigned to the 9:00 am session. Originally, our ward had planned that week to be a testimony meeting, but a few days before Sunday our stake leaders asked all the wards to have fast Sunday the week following General Conference and to have a stake fast for several specific things. That left our bishopric needing to get speakers for Sunday at the last minute, so instead they each asked 3 or 4 people to share a 4 minute testimony, including a gospel principle that is meaningful to them. I was one of the people who was asked to do that for the session we were in. I appreciated the chance to ponder my testimony and what is important to me. (And this was much less intimidating than giving a talk!) I chose to focus my testimony on the importance of Heavenly Father's and the Savior's love for me (and for all of us). I was the last "speaker" and the song they had chosen to play at the end (we aren't allowed to sing, just listen to music) was "I Know My Father Lives" so that turned out to really go together well. On Sunday evening we enjoyed visiting via Zoom with Mom, all of my siblings, and several of my nieces and nephews. It was great to see all of you!
On Monday Seth didn't have school (Yom Kippur) which was nice for a change. He had a counseling appointment at noon and before that he went with me to Walmart to choose a gift for a friend who was having a birthday party. Frank had an overnight install on Monday night, so before he left we played a game and had a treat (we did the lesson portion of family night on Sunday). We played Yahtzee and Seth won. After Frank left for his overnight job, Seth mowed the lawn. (It was too wet to mow it on Saturday).
On Tuesday Seth had an online Deacon's activity (they played Old Testament trivia), I had book chat, and we took dinner to the missionaries. Frank was supposed to have a late night cabling job at one of the restaurants but since it was supposed to rain pretty hard that night and they needed to do work outside, that got moved to Wednesday night instead. I enjoyed book chat, where we discussed The Scarlet Pimpernel. Now we are reading Homer's Odyssey. As usual, we talked about more than just the book...we ended up talking about our concerns over the state of the world more than anything else! Actually, discussing the book kind of led to that...the book is set during the French Revolution and the parallels between what was happening then and some of the things that are happening in the world now are actually pretty scary.
Seth went to a birthday party on Wednesday evening for a friend from school (and church...he used to be in our ward). They played laser tag and other games at his house. Seth got to see a few other kids from school and he had a good time. (They wore masks.) Frank left for his late night cabling job while I went to pick Seth up from the party. Thankfully, the cabling job didn't take too long and he got home around 1:30. He did have a full day of work on Thursday, though, and then last night he had another overnight job...this time installing a digital menu board at one of the restaurants.
Meanwhile, I had an appointment to get my hair done yesterday afternoon. Seth wasn't done with his schoolwork when I had to leave so he had to finish that up later after I got back. (He should have been done before I left...he took too many "breaks". We had a discussion about that last night and when I pointed out to him that his medicine is wearing off or has already worn off when he goes into the late afternoon or evening with his school work, he realized that isn't a good idea so hopefully next week he will do better at getting his work done quicker. Today they have a two hour early release, so Seth had less work to do and he doesn't have his music and PE classes this afternoon. He just finished his work a little while ago, so he is done with school for this week.
Frank thought his overnight job last night was going to be a true overnighter...until 6:00 am this morning or later, but he actually got home about 3:45. No complaints about that! Since he worked days Monday through Thursday in addition to working Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights, he took today off completely. He has been on the phone a bit handling some kind of an issue, but at least he hasn't had to go anywhere and he is getting the chance to relax some.
I don't feel like I got much done this week...I'm not sure why. I did a lot of reading and finished a few books (and I'm almost done with the ADHD book). I started working on a new crocheted hat but I haven't made it very far yet because the pattern I'm using called for a different kind of yarn than I have ever used before and it is very hard to work with. I'm really not sure if I'm going to be able to successfully make this hat and have it be something someone would want to wear, but I'm going to keep working at it and see what happens. The yarn is very bulky and fluffy so it's super hard to see the stitches (actually impossible, really) so I'm pretty sure I'm making mistakes but it's also nearly impossible to tell if I'm making mistakes! Besides that, it has a tendency to knot up when I try to unravel mistakes. The yarn looks like this:
Anyway, I haven't totally given up yet, but I may have to change plans if I get further along and it looks terrible.
This afternoon I get to go see my friend Wanda for the first time since March! She lives in a nursing home even though she's not much older than me (she was in an accident that left her with limited mobility in her legs and arms) so I haven't been able to see her. Just recently they started allowing 20 minute scheduled visits. We'll have to sit outdoors and I have to stay 6 feet away from her (and wear a mask, of course) but I am excited that I will get to talk to her at least! (She doesn't have a phone, so I haven't been able to call her either.) Another friend of mine in my ward and I are going together to visit her...my friend is the one who set up our visit.
Anyway, that is everything I can think of for this week. We're looking forward to General Conference! I'll finish up with a photo I took while I was at Walmart picking up groceries on Thursday morning. This is the view that I'm facing while the Walmart associate is loading my groceries for me. I know they are just weeds, but I think they are pretty weeds!



No comments:
Post a Comment