Friday, October 6, 2023

Weekly Review October 6 '23

 It doesn't feel much like October here. It's actually been warmer this week than last week, with temperatures in the 70s and 80s most days. We are starting to see a little bit of fall colors, but not a lot yet. 

I am feeling really sleepy, so hopefully this post will make sense. I'm not sure why I feel sleepy since I actually have slept well this entire week! It's been great to sleep well at nights, but I have been sleepy in the afternoons a lot of days. 

Going back to last Friday, Frank and I went to the temple for our stake temple night. It was really nice to be in the temple with a lot of people we know. Our session was entirely full. We were on the front row, though, so we got through quickly at the end. I didn't get sleepy at all which was pretty miraculous.


Afterwards, Frank remembered that he had left his earphones at his office and since we were only a few miles away from his office, we went over there to pick them up. This means I also got to see his new office, since they just moved a few weeks ago. It seems pretty nice, although he's in a cubicle now instead of an office...he doesn't like that much. Sign above the door to his department:


Saturday was super busy. I had an appointment at 8:00 am to get my hair cut. I didn't sleep very well the night before...I actually woke up at some point with a really bad leg cramp. It was discouraging to me that I didn't sleep well over the weekend since that's usually when I catch up on sleep, but as I said...I did sleep well during the week so it all ended up okay. The rest of Saturday (after I got back from my hair cut appointment) was mostly taken up with General Conference. I somehow miraculously stayed awake for all three sessions. Since I was in charge of planning a Jeopardy General Conference review game for Seminary, I was taking notes with that in mind which means my notes were different than they usually are and I feel like I didn't get as much out of it as I usually do. I will be reading the talks again though, so I will get better notes and get more out of the talks then, I'm sure. We had lots of yummy unhealthy snacks like apples & caramel dip, chips & salsa con queso, and cookies & pumpkin pie dip. We invited the Sister missionaries over to watch the 2nd session with us and to have dinner. We put food in the crock pot that morning so we wouldn't have to cook during Conference. 

Sunday was similar to Saturday except that the morning was more relaxing since I didn't have any appointments. The Sisters didn't have anywhere to go for dinner (they did have a lunch appointment) so we invited them to come over for the 2nd session and dinner again on Sunday. I missed having President Nelson at the sessions but was glad he had recoreded a message for the end. Conference is always uplifting and I'm looking forward to reading all the talks again.

Monday and Tuesday mornings I taught Seminary and it went pretty well overall although I ran out of time both days. I'm obviously still in the learning curve for how much time things will take. I was also in charge of Wednesday's lesson which was the General Conference review. That ended up not being a lot of work because I found a game already created by someone else online. They posted it Sunday night...not sure how they manged to create it that fast, but I'm not complaining! The game went pretty well although one group of kids kind of gave up and didn't participate much. Everyone else was pretty engaged and seemed to have a fun time, though, even if they weren't winning. My team teacher taught today and yesterday so that was more relaxing for me. I've been working on my lessons for next week but haven't made a ton of progress. On one of the days, the kids are supposed to prepare short 5 minute lessons to teach to each other. I decided to ask the Sister missionaries to help with that, because it will be hard for just 2 of us to help 22 kids prepare lessons. I will be meeting with them tomorrow to plan that lesson. It's actually supposed to be taught on Monday but since that is P-day for the Sisters, we're moving that lesson to Tuesday and I will have to rearrange a few things for Monday's lesson. Hopefully it will all work out. 

On Wednesday I took a break from Seminary lesson prep and pulled out a project that I've been wanting to do. I'm making some Christmas themed pillow covers to put over the pillows on our couch. I purchased the fabric about a year ago but got too busy to make them and then I forgot about them for a while. I'm going to make quilted pillow covers so on Wednesday I spent most of my time making the templates for the quilt block pieces. I made all the templates and then cut out some of the pieces but that took a long time and my back started hurting so I had to stop. I'm glad I made a start on that project, though. I will keep working on it in small increments until I'm done. Frank took Seth to YM on Wednesday evening and stayed to meet with the stake IT clerk to do some things for our building. The YM played virtual fruit ninja for their activity; Seth really enjoyed that. I got to talk to Amy while they were gone which was great because we haven't had a chance to talk for a long time.  

We realized this week that almost all of Seth's long sleeve shirts are too small for him (mostly the arms are too short, but they are getting small in other ways too). I purchased several shirts for him at the store on Wednesday but since he wasn't with me, I wasn't sure what size to get. He tried them on when he got home from school and even though they did fit, I was worried they would be a little small if they shrink when washing so we decided to go up one size. On Thursday evening Frank met with the stake IT clerk again so I took Seth back to the store with me to return the shirts and get bigger ones. Of course, they didn't have all of them in the size we needed but he picked out some different ones and it all worked out.

Today after Seminary I went to the temple to do initiatories. The traffic wasn't bad for once so I got there early and got started early and was done in only about 30 minutes. As I was leaving, I ran into my team Seminary teacher coming in...that was kind of funny. 



When Frank got home last night, he mentioned that his right heel was hurting. This morning when he woke up it was much worse and I could see that it is red, so we decided he'd better get it checked. He went to our primary care doctor who decided to send him to a podiatrist. The podiatrist thinks the cellulitis is acting up again. She gave him a injection for the pain, called in a new antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicine for him, gave him a boot that he has to wear when he walks, and told him he needs to keep his foot elevated for a week. It's pretty discouraging that this problem has come back...we thought that was completely behind us! We're grateful that his work is flexible though and that he can do work from home so that he can take care of himself but also get some work done. Please keep him in your prayers.

Jared & Jessie had a busy week and Jessie has been working a lot of evenings so we haven't seen them this week (last week Jared did laundry on Friday evening while Frank was at the temple) but they are planning to come for dinner on Sunday.

That is everything that is going on with us, I think.

No comments: