Greetings on this very rainy day! It's very rainy where I am, anyway. I just got back from picking up Seth from school. Today is midterm, and they got out 2 hours early. He is doing homework now and will hopefully be going to a friend's house later.
Last week I forgot to include a couple of pictures I took of a United Way newsletter. The first picutre is of an article about the VITA program:
The second picture is a close up of the photo at the bottom of the article:
On with this week's events...
Saturday the 22nd was quite busy. I had my last stake choir rehearsal that morning. While I went to that, Frank took Seth and another boy in our ward to a stake activity for the youth age 16 and up. It was a service project...they did hedge trimming and other outdoor clean up work at a state park. After the service, they had lunch and games but Seth and the other boy were being picked up by the boy's sister, and she came to get them before lunch was ready. Seth didn't seem to care about that, though, and it had started to rain anyway so he was happy to come home and eat here instead.
After my choir practice, I ran a few errands and then went to get my hair done. Frank came over and got a haircut too while my color was processing, but Seth was still at the activity so he still needs a haircut. Shortly after Seth got home from the activity, Frank and I left because we had an appointment to do sealings at the temple that afternoon. That's what we decided to do to celebrate our anniversary, and it was a really lovely way to celebrate. We stopped on the way home at a favorite Mexican restaurant for some dinner. I'm mad that I forgot to take a photo when we were at the temple, but I did remember to take one of Frank at the restaurant:
Our actual anniversary was on Sunday, but Frank wasn't feeling very well that day. He didn't sleep well at all Saturday night (I woke up at 2:45 am and he hadn't been able to go to sleep yet) and when he woke up after only a few hours of sleep Sunday morning he had a really bad headache. He ended up staying home from all of his meetings, including church. He slept some more but still didn't feel too great all day.
I had a presidency meeting with my YW class presidency before church and that evening was the Easter concert. Frank and Seth would have come to the concert if Frank had been feeling well. I had to be there an hour early to go over the choir songs. There were a lot of other musical numbers and we were nearly at the end of the program. I really enjoyed the concert...lots of beautiful music and some scripture reading and inspirational words as well. I think we did a pretty good job, although I would have liked to have known the songs better than I did. It was a blessing to me to learn these songs; there's nothing like singing praises to the Savior to lift the spirits! I would always come home from the practices feeling on top of the world, and had the beautiful words of the songs going through my mind often over the last month.
The rest of the week has not been as eventful as the weekend, but we still had a decent amount of things going on. Jared came over on Monday so that he and I could finish editing my YW class movie. He also put together a little slideshow of photos from last week's scavenger hunt activity.
They didn't need me to help with Seminary as much this week, but I did arrive 10 minutes early for pick up on Tuesday and Thursday mornings so that the other teacher could leave for her medical treatments. Tuesday evening was the long-awaited youth movie night. All the families were invited to watch the movies with us. It was a fun evening and all the movies turned out great! A lot of people afterwards told me how impressed they were with Jared's editing skills. He really did do a great job and I am enormously grateful to him for all the time he put into it. I never could have done it myself!
The other two movies (the YM movie and the older YW class movie) were also expertly edited and I'd say they were both more "polished" than ours, mainly because their actual footage was better. They both had written scripts, whereas my class just had an idea and the whole thing was ad-libbed. I think my girls did a really great job, though, and really said a lot of funny and clever things. Everyone laughed a lot all the way through all the movies.
I'm not sure I have mentioned before now that our movie was a spoof on shows like America's Got Talent. Our show was "Walkersville's Got Talent" (because our ward is Walkersville Ward) and all of the "talent" acts were purposely really bad. There are only 6 girls in my class so they did multiple acts, dressed up in different hats and wigs. Hopefully by next week I will be able to include a link to our movie so that you can watch it. I'm having some issues with my Google drive so I haven't been able to put the movie on there yet. The YM movie was a mystery and was very clever and funny. Seth and Frank are both in that movie, and actually I have a brief cameo in it too. All the drone footage was taken by Frank, using his drone. Here is a link for that movie:
On Wednesday I helped my friend Barbra. She was trying to get tags for a pickup truck and switch the title to her son's name so he can drive it. She can't drive anymore though so I picked her up and took her to the title company where we met her son. He missed his bus, though, so we ended up waiting an hour for him to get there. Then the inevitable problems cropped up and I ended up taking them to the motor vehicle division also. In the end, they had to make an appointment to go back the next day so unfortunately they weren't able to accomplish their task. When I volunteered to help, I thought this would take an hour or two; instead it took four hours so that wiped out my other plans for that day. I was hoping to go to some thrift stores to look for some clothes for Trek for Seth, but that will have to wait for another day.
Jared and Jessie came over for dinner Wednesday evening. I had book chat that evening too so I didn't have as much time for visiting but we did have dinner and played a game together before I had to leave. We played Dead Ringer, and we all finished within 3 points of each other, but Jessie had the highest score. I still feel like I won the game, though, because I missed the first 2 rounds and was only one point behind Jessie. 😆 Book club was fun as usual; we discussed The Hobbit, which everyone liked. Now we are reading a book called Dear Theo by Irving Stone. It is letters written by Vincent Van Gogh to his brother Theo. I just ordered a copy of the book on Wednesday so I haven't received it yet.
Yesterday I went to the temple. The traffic going down was terrible and I was worried I was going to miss my session but in the end I got there in time. I brought a name with me (using the "ordinance ready" feature) but it wasn't until I was sitting down waiting for the session to begin that I looked at the information closely and realized that this sister was born nearly 300 years ago in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. I immediately felt this overwhelming feeling of how long she had been waiting for her ordinances to be done, which caused me to feel really emotional, but also grateful. It was sweet.
Going to the temple took a good portion of my day because the session I was in was full and I was near the back so it took a long time to get through. Plus, I didn't really want to leave. 😊 By the time I got home and ate lunch, it was nearly time for Seth to come home from school. I still needed to get some groceries so I did that anyway even though I knew Seth would get home before I did. He had homework to do, so he was working on that when I got home. Frank and Seth helped me get some of my other chores...like vacuuming...done that evening after dinner. We also went on a walk and I ordered some new church clothes for Seth...his church pants are way too short. Hopefully the pants I ordered will fit him. He is at that age where it is really hard to find pants that are long enough but with a small enough waist. I've had this problem with all of my boys during their teenage years, because all four of them have been really tall and skinny. All in all, Thursday turned out to be a fairly productive day.
Today I spent the morning updating the finances. Seth has been home for about 3 hours now; I stopped working on this post for quite a while to help him with an English assignment. Now he is finishing up his homework for CTC and then I will be taking him to a friend's house. It has been raining literally all day and it is supposed to continue raining until the early hours of tomorrow morning. They keep saying we need more rain though so it's a good thing we are getting a nice steady downpour.
That is all of the news from these parts.







No comments:
Post a Comment