Friday, April 7, 2023

Weekly Review April 7 '23

Today is one of those days when I feel like everything is taking longer to get done than it should. Hopefully this post will go quicker than everything else today. Even though today is the first day of spring break, I still woke up shortly after 5:00 am. Now it is after 1:00 pm, and all I have accomplished is updating the budget and exercising. The budget took a lot longer than I thought it should have. 

Since it is the first day of spring break, of course it is a bit on the cold side! The last 3 days we've had temperatures in the 70s and 80s...it's been so nice! Today it is cloudy and temperatures are in the 50s. I guess I shouldn't be complaining since it's still snowing in Utah. I'm not really all that upset, it just seems like the weather always gets colder as soon as spring break arrives.

When I left off last week, Frank wasn't feeling very well because he had just had a Covid booster. Thankfully, he woke up feeling a lot better on Saturday. He also found out that the only other shot he has to get is for Hepatitus B. It's a two shot series; he got the first one yesterday. It made him feel a bit dizzy and his arm hurts, but other than that he feels okay.

Last Friday evening we had a big wind storm. Since then, we've seen quite a few large tree limbs and some trees down in the neighborhood. One house down the street had a tree fall on it. I feel sorry for the owners because they just purchased the house about a month ago. Welcome to home ownership! At least the damage didn't look too bad...no big holes in the roof or anything. 

The weekend was busy with General Conference meetings, of course. I also had a stake choir practice on Saturday morning...it's for a community Easter concert that we're doing at the end of April. We invited the sister missionaries over for dinner on Saturday, and to watch the second session of conference with us. I thought Conference was super good! I think it gets better every time! I loved the emphasis on Easter. We have been trying to more thoughtfully prepare for Easter this week by reading scriptures from the last week of Christ's life, listening to music, and so forth and it's been nice. I feel like there has been a great spirit in our home and I have felt extra happy all week. I had another choir practice on Sunday evening...this one is for our ward choir because we are singing two songs on Easter.

We're excited about some of the temples that were announced this General Conference. I am really happy about the temple announced for Charlotte, North Carolina since that was my mission headquarters. We are also happy about temples being announced for Winchester, Virginia and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. They are both about an hour and 15 minutes from our house, which is not closer than the DC temple (unless the traffic is bad) but they will be much closer than the Philadelphia Temple. In the future when the DC temple closes for maintenance, we'll have some other options of reasonbly close temples. Of course, it will be so much better for the people who live in those areas!

I didn't sleep well at all Sunday night so I was pretty tired on Monday and got started later than usual. I did get all the regular chores done, though, and I was able to take a short nap before taking Seth to the orthodontist that afternoon. His teeth look good except he has a small gap still between two teeth on top so they put something called a "power train" on the top teeth to help close the gap. Hopefully once that is done, he will get his braces off. I'm not sure how long that will take, though. When we got back from the orthodontist, Seth mowed the lawn and I pulled weeds. The lawn was looking like a jungle before he mowed it:



 It looks much better now:


For family night that evening we went for a walk and then played a game. Photos from our walk:





We went on another walk on Wednesday evening. We are trying to go on at least a couple of walks per week to help Seth break in his hiking boots in preparation for Trek. (Plus it is good for our health, too.) 

Speaking of Trek...we worked things out and we are going! The food committe will be staying at a campground at a state park and preparing all the food there, then transporting it to the location where the Trek group will be for each meal. The food committee chairs were fine with us staying somewhere else at night, and we were able to find an airbnb just a few miles away. (We looked into renting a trailer or RV since the campground has electrical hookups, but that would have cost a lot more than the airbnb.) We'll be attending some meetings between now and then and I'm sure there will be a decent amount of work and preparations to do. I'm sure Trek itself will be a lot of work also but I'm actually pretty excited about it. Seems like the best of both worlds to me...we get to be a part of it but we don't have to hike for miles and we get to sleep in comfort!

On Tuesday evening we had youth activities as usual. The Primary activity leaders asked the youth to help with an Easter egg hunt for the Primary kids so that is mostly what we did. My class also filmed a couple of scenes for our movie, using the Primary kids, and we played a game during a short time we had in between hiding eggs and helping the kids redeem prizes for their eggs. I got a great picture of my class, with a funny photo bomb by Seth:


Wednesday was my usual tax preparation day. I felt like I got to help more people than usual, which was nice. I helped one man set up estimated tax payments for this year, because the past several years he has owed quite a bit and has been charged penalties for under paying. He was really happy to get that set up, and I feel happy when I'm able to help someone in that way. I only have two more shifts left...next Wednesday and then the following Monday. They may not need me to help for the Monday shift, though, so Wednesday may be my last shift. I've really enjoyed this year's volunteer work. I think maybe I've gotten to the point where I've become pretty comfortable with it so I'm enjoying it more and feeling less anxious. I really enjoy interacting with all the other volunteers that I work with, also.

Seth had a dentist appointment after school on Wednesday. His hygenist is in our ward and I'm her ministering sister, so this gave me a chance to talk to her and find out how she and her family are doing, so that was great!

Yesterday I went to the temple to do initiatories. It was really sweet...I felt like one of the sisters I did the work for was really happy about it and another sister had the same birthday as me (different year, of course). After I was done, I walked all around the temple taking pictures because it was a beautiful day and the grounds were absolutely gorgeous! So here's a photo dump from that:















(Sister missionaries reading scriptures!)
















Believe it or not, that's not all the photos I took! I really didn't want to leave, but I had to return to the real world eventually.

Last evening we went to an openhouse for a missionary who just returned. We are good friends with her family. She left for her mission from our ward, but her family moved to Utah shortly afterwards. She wanted to speak in church in our ward after returning, so they are here this weekend and she will speak on Sunday. We enjoyed talking with her and her family, as well as with some of the other ward members who came. 

Today, as I mentioned, is the first day of spring break for Seth. He's been playing games all day. Jared came over this afternoon and is hanging out with us...he'll be going to dinner with us tonight. (Jessie is on her way back from Idaho with her sister Emily. She flew out there on Tuesday and is helping her sister drive her car back here for the summer.)  We were going to go shooting but I have a bad headache so we decided to postpone that to another day. I took some Tylenol but it isn't helping much. Hopefully it will go away soon.

I'll finish up with a few photos from our yard (or neighbor's yard). It is looking very pretty in our neighborhood, too!







No comments: