Friday, February 15, 2019

Weekly Review February 15 '19

Why do Fridays always go by so fast? Seems like I just got up, and it's already almost dinner time. We had a pretty full week. Here is what we did:

Saturday: I can't remember Saturday all that well, but I think Frank was pretty busy finishing up work for clients that he wanted to get done before he started his new job. So he was gone a lot of the day. I did the usual--filled out my time sheet for my Arc job, cleaned the kitchen floor, practiced ukulele, worked on the quilt. I also did some wedding related stuff and worked on our tax return.

Sunday: I can't remember anything out of the ordinary about Sunday except that we sat with my friend Wanda on the front row. (Several families take turns sitting with her to help her if she needs it.) I love Primary! I think the new curriculum is the best. When we start talking about the subject of the lesson, all the kids' little faces light up and they say "we talked about this at home!" and they have all these great things to say about the topic. It's the best. I am really enjoying having church in the morning and having the rest of the day to read scriptures and so forth. I actually have a hard time fitting in all the things I want to do!

Monday: It snowed a few inches on Sunday night and the roads were icy, so school was cancelled. Seth actually did something besides watch television all day:


He's playing a game called "Dog Pile", which I got him for Christmas. I got it on a whim, and I'm glad I did because he really likes it. Plus, it's the kind of game that makes you use your brain. Shhh...don't tell him!

Frank started his new job so he has had a very busy week. He worked at his office on Monday, mostly getting oriented and filling out paperwork. But he rest of the week he was working at one of the restaurants in Hagerstown (about 30 minutes northwest of Frederick) because they wanted him to see the technology in action--how it works at the stores. He was mostly there to observe and to be trained, but he did jump in and do everything from flipping burgers to working in the drive through too. He seemed to really enjoy it! (But he says he would never want to work at a fast food restaurant as a regular job!) I didn't work on Monday (the lady I support had to watch her nephew) but I managed to keep pretty busy anyway. It's been a bit of an adjustment this week to have Frank gone all day. I've grown accustomed to having him around a lot more! I miss him, but I'm not complaining that he has a job. Monday evening we had family night and then Frank and I went to the store to get him some clothes--he needed black pants for working at the restaurant this week (they gave him 3 polo shirts to wear), and for the office he needs to wear nice pants and button up shirts (not necessarily white, and he doesn't have to wear a tie) most of the time. He really doesn't have a lot of clothes like that. He mostly has polo shirts and he only has one pair of church pants and 2 button up shirts, both white. We got him two pair of black pants and 2 or 3 shirts (they were all patterns--plaids or stripes), but I wanted to get him some more pants (colors other than black) and a few more solid colored shirts, so I went online last night and ordered 2 more shirts and 3 pairs of pants. The shirts are both blue (but different shades) and he now has navy blue, dark gray, and khaki pants too. I was actually thrilled that he was forced to buy new clothes for himself. He hates spending money and he hates shopping and therefore he hardly ever gets new clothes, and mostly wears ratty old polo shirts with holes in them. I told him very firmly that it really is okay for him to invest in a new wardrobe and I also made him go to a store other than Walmart, hoping to get a bit higher quality. I'm looking forward to seeing him in some nice clothes!

Tuesday: Frank had to be at work at 9:00 am. School was cancelled again--I'm not sure why, because the roads weren't too bad and I think a 2 hour delay would have been fine. I kept busy all day with the usual things and I also finally got the quilt put together--backing, batting, and top--so that it was ready to start quilting. That evening we had a RS activity where we had a "pink elephant" exchange (basically the same as a white elephant, they just called it pink in honor of Valentine's Day). I actually didn't feel like going out much but I made myself go because I knew I would have fun if I did...and I was right!

Wednesday: Frank had to be at work at 7:00 am so he left pretty early. I had a bad night--didn't sleep well at all--so I got a late start and didn't have time to exercise. I got everything else done, though, and enjoyed going to the religion class again after a few weeks of it not being held. Frank was busy after work with some work for some clients and I took Seth to YM and picked him up again afterwards. I got started on quilting too. He had a project for school that he had to finish that evening and we (Seth and I, not Frank) ended up staying up until midnight while he got this done. (It was actually embroidery that he was doing--they are embroidering quotes on quilt squares and his teacher is going to make it into a quilt.)

Thursday: Happy Valentine's Day! It started really early because Frank had to be at work at 5:00 am. I fell back asleep right after he left, though, and once again woke up late enough that I didn't have time to exercise. I worked for a couple of hours, did some more quilting, and finished up our income taxes. We're getting a refund this year, thank goodness! Frank got off work at 2:00 but he had to stop by his office after that and then he to go to a couple of his clients and handle an emergency for one of them, so he didn't get home until after 5:00 and he was working in his office all evening, until about 9:00 so it was a really long day for him! We did get each other cards for Valentine's Day, and on Wednesday he brought home some beautiful roses and some chocolates for me. We are planning to go to breakfast tomorrow morning too--we decided to do that instead of going to dinner together because we want to avoid the crowds. Plus, look at the awesome dinner I made at home:



(I don't know why the roses look pinkish in the photo; they really are a dark red!)

Friday: As I said, today went fast. Frank had to be at work at 9:00, so he didn't have to get up so early and I woke up kind of late once again. I got most of the budget done and exercised and showered before picking Seth up from school. I'm hoping to get some more quilting done after dinner. I enjoy quilting, but it is going to take a long time to get this quilt done!

To finish up, here is a photo I took from our back deck a few days ago:


Sometimes I completely forget that there is a river behind my house! Most of the year, the river is hidden by all the foliage on the trees and bushes growing along the banks but in the winter, we can see it. One of the (only) nice things about winter.

No comments: