Last weekend we had Stake Conference, and I think it was one of the best ones I've ever attended. Frank and I were both invited to attend the leadership session which was from 4:00 to 6:00 on Saturday afternoon and then we both went to the adult session which was from 7:00 to 9:00. In between, we grabbed some food to eat and ended up visiting with a boy who grew up in our ward, who is Scott's age, and his wife while we ate. There were some really powerful talks in both sessions. One of the things our stake presidency really emphasized is the need to cleary teach the doctrines of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
When we got home from the meetings, Frank had some work to do...he's been working on a big project for one of his clients, which is why he's been so busy lately. He ended up working until 2:30 am, so he was pretty tired on Sunday. We all went to the general session of Stake Conference in the morning. That afternoon Seth had a meeting with the Bishopric and other YM to plan their activities for the rest of the year. I took Seth to that, though, because Frank really needed to take a nap. He felt a lot better after getting some rest.
The rest of this week has been mostly pretty routine so I won't give a day by day account; just mention the things we did that were out of the ordinary. On Monday I had a whole bunch of errands to run. I went to my bank to get a new debit card because for some reason they didn't send me a new one when the last one expired over a year ago. (I don't use it much at all, but sometimes I need one.) I also deposited a check for Seth, picked up medicine for Seth, picked up a book I had on hold at the library, and went to the fabric store to get some elastic for some baseball pants I've been altering for a friend. I finished the alterations that evening.
I had a YW presidency meeting on Tuesday morning. The president has been out of town so we had a lot to catch up on. That evening we had a combined YM / YW activity, planned by the YM. Originally, the plan was to go swimming but of course we had thunderstorms predicted for that evening! As it turned out, we did get some rain and thunder but it was mostly cleared up by the time we were supposed to have our activity. Pools close when there's even a hint of thunder, though, so our bishop had already decided to change the activity. Instead, we helped a ward member change a flat tire on his van and also jumped his battery. In the process, the youth learned how to do those two things. Afterwards, they played dodgeball and had cookies. The ward member we helped was really grateful, too!
Frank was still working on his big project for his client, so he couldn't attend the activity.
I did a little bit of sewing on Wednesday...I have several unfinished sewing projects and working on the baseball uniform for my friend reminded me that those projects still need to be done...and that I actually enjoy sewing when I get around to doing it! I would have got more done except Scott called me and we talked for a couple of hours. (I always enjoy talking to him though.)
Yesterday I got to go to the temple. The DC temple finally opened for patrons on Wednesday and I had an appointment for the first session on Thursday at 10:00 am. There are only sessions in the evening on Wednesdays, which is why I waited until day 2 to go. It's too bad the temple isn't open during the day on Wednesdays because that would be the best day of the week for me to go, but I will just have to adjust my schedule and go on Thursday or Friday instead. The temple was really busy; the session I attended had almost every seat full. That is really unusual for a daytime session on a weekday...I've attended many weekday daytime sessions where there were only 5 - 15 people or so. It seems that many people are eager to be at the temple again, besides the fact that the temple isn't open as much so we have fewer choices of times we can go. Hopefully it will continue to be busy. It felt soooooo good to be back in my beloved Washington DC temple again!!
Somehow, in spite of the time it took to go to the temple, I still managed to get all the regular chores like laundry and grocery shopping done yesterday. This isn't a new phenomenon...I've noticed this happening in the past when I've attended the temple. I also noticed that happening a lot when I was RS president and had lots of things to do for my calling. I'm sure it is not coincidental.
Frank came home from work early yesterday and worked from home for the afternoon because he was having some sort of allergic reaction to something. He got itchy all over, especially the palms of his hands and the bottom of his feet. He took some benadryl when he got home and that helped a lot. After he finished working, he did some more work on his big project and he is almost done with it, thankfully.
I've continued to listen to audio books a lot this past week. I finished The Divine Signature and also listened to a book called The Priesthood Power of Women. Now I've started on a book called Falling to Heaven and another one called Don't Miss This in the Old Testament. I actually prefer to read books, rather than listen to them, but I can listen to books while I'm doing other things (like cooking, cleaning bathrooms, or driving places) so I enjoy having the option to listen to some books that I would not have the time to read otherwise.
I have also been reading the next book for book chat which is called Ribbons of Scarlet. It's pretty unique because it is written by 6 different authors (all women). Each author wrote a story about a different woman during the French Revolution. Each character has a story that is from her point of view, but also shows up as a minor character in some of the other stories. I just finished the first story last night. It was good, although there was some slightly inappropriate content. Plus it started with a gruesome execution...I never like reading stuff like that!! (Although I should expect violence, considering the historical background.) We'll see how the next story goes.
This morning when I woke up I noticed my right foot was hurting. It felt fine yesterday, so I have no idea why it is hurting today but it hurts to walk on it. Not severely...but enough that it's uncomfortable. Because of that, I didn't jog this morning. Hopefully after a few days of resting it, I will be able to exercise again.
Our ward's bishopric made breakfast for all the Seminary kids this morning so when Frank took Seth to Seminary he stuck around for 30 minutes to help make breakfast. They had pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream as well as sausages. The kids seemed to enjoy that.
That's everything for this week, so as usual I'll finish up with a couple of pictures. Tuesday was a day for wildlife sightings...I saw a deer that morning and that afternoon I saw a fox. At least, I think it's a fox. It looks mostly like a fox except for its tail. The other foxes I have seen have beautiful bushy tails. This animal doesn't. I don't know if it is a different type of fox, or it's sick, or if it's another animal altogether. I was just really surprised to see it at all...it was out on the same hill where we often see deer. I guess it was attracted by the food, too.









No comments:
Post a Comment