Friday, September 30, 2022

Weekly Review September 30 '22

 When I wrote last week, neither Frank nor I was feeling well. I woke up on Saturday feeling a lot better and I've been pretty good ever since. Frank was really miserable through the weekend but started feeling a little better on Monday and he is mostly better now, just tired. He dragged himself to work on Monday but stayed in his office with his door closed all day so that he wouldn't have much contact with people. He didn't sleep well at all Monday night, though, so he decided to take another sick day on Tuesday. That seemed to help a lot and he has mostly been back to normal since then, other than being tired. He stayed home from the YM / YW activity on Tuesday evening also so that he could get some rest. He's been fairly busy after work most days doing work for clients...there just seems to be a lot to do for his business lately. 

I had an appointment to get my hair cut on Saturday but other than that I didn't have a lot going on...just the usual chores. I offered to take Seth to the fair, but he didn't really want to go so we gave our tickets to a family in our ward and they were happy to have them. Frank stayed home from church and all his meetings on Sunday. I think that was the day he felt the worst so he stayed in bed most of the day. We were supposed to meet with our bishop for our tithing declaration right after church but we had to reschedule that. I went to a fireside that evening at the stake center. I really didn't feel much like going anywhere but the topic was a good one and I just felt like it was going to be valuable and I would be glad I went if I did. And I was right...I'm really glad I went because it was really good and I took a lot of notes and got a lot of helpful information. It was about preparing our children to serve missions and / or leave home when they get older. I really liked it because I got a lot of good ideas for things I could be doing with Seth but I also felt like many of the things they talked about were things that we're already doing with him. It was the best of both worlds--encouraging to know we're doing some things right and inspiration for some other things we can start doing. 

Seth was out of school on Monday for Rosh Hashanah...they always have that Jewish holiday as well as Yom Kippur off. Even though Frank wasn't feeling great, he had work he had to do for a client that evening so we had a short family night with only an activity and treat. We played bowling on the Wii (it has been broken for months but Frank ordered a new part and was able to fix it). Seth was really excited because he won the game...he's never beat us before. He started out the game with getting 2 strikes in a row and he got a few others later in the game too. 

We had a combined YM/YW activity on Tuesday evening. The oldest YW class planned it and they chose to do "dart painting". If you have seen the movie The Princess Diaries, you will know what this is, but if you haven't I will explain. They attached ballons filled with different colors of paint to a large canvas and we threw darts at the ballons to pop them. When a balloon popped, it splashed paint across the canvas. It was surprisingly difficult to hit the balloons (I never did hit one, although I came within a fraction of an inch from one balloon) and it was also much messier than I thought it would be...mainly because we didn't have a lot of darts, so we had to keep retrieving the ones we already threw and they were often covered in paint! For the large canvas, they taped together several smaller canvasses so when we were done we could pull them apart and everyone got to take home a piece of the painting. It was actually a really fun activity; I think everyone had a great time.

Finished product:


Here's the piece of the larger painting that Seth and I brought home (complete with a couple of dart holes!):

I had a busy day Wednesday because I had a YW presidency meeting in the morning and I went to visit a friend from my ward in the afternoon. She fell and broke her hip and one of her arms about 3 weeks ago...she had surgery on both and was in the hospital for a few weeks and now she's in a rehab center until she is well again. I wasn't able to visit her before now since I've been sick but I had a nice long visit with her on Wednesday. I got there later than I planned but that turned out to be good because they didn't bring her lunch until nearly 1:30 so I was there to help feed her some of her lunch. It's really hard for her to feed herself since one of her arms is broken (not to mention her hip, which makes it hard for her to move at all). On Wednesday evening I went grocery shopping and vacuumed...those are usually Thursday chores but I was planning to go to the temple on Thursday so I wanted to get those things done early. Frank and Seth both came with me to get groceries which I really appreciated because we had a big list this week and it would have been a big job to do that by myself. 

I spent Thursday morning at the temple and it was wonderful, as always. I couldn't help taking more pictures when I got out because the temple always looks so beautiful!! 




I had book club last night and I enjoyed that as usual. We always have a lively and fun and often even inspirational discussion. The book we are reading next is Snow Falling on Cedars. I have to wait to get a copy from the library...hopefully that won't take too long. 

I haven't seen any deer in the common area behind our house for quite a while, but this morning there were two of them and one of them got much closer to our house than usual. They usually stay at the far end of the hill but this morning one of them walked across the hill towards our house and stopped right under a tree that is right behind our house.

The weather changed near the end of last week and it has gotten quite a bit cooler--feels like fall now instead of summer! It has mostly been crisp and sunny but today we have gray skies...we're getting clouds from the edge of Hurricane Ian (or what's left of it) and tonight it's going to start raining and it's going to be wet and rather cold all weekend. It's nice that we won't have to go anywhere this weekend...we can stay inside and keep cozy while we watch General Conference.

Seth has still been having trouble with math so I emailed his teacher and we're working on getting him some more help. We are still working on the dual enrollment stuff too. He went through a bunch of practice questions for his test this week and he did pretty well...I think probably well enough that he can pass the test, but he's going to do a little more practicing before he takes it. We have a lot of the paperwork filled out too so hopefully we'll be done with all of that soon.

I started reading the next book in The Dark Is Rising series; this book has the same title as the series name. I haven't had a lot of time to read this week but I'm about half way through the book. I actually like this one quite a bit better than the first book in the series. The story is more compelling and I think it is a lot better written than the first one. There was a bit of time in between when the author wrote the first one and the second one and I can tell...she's just a much better writer by the time she writes this book. 

Jared ended up going to the ER on Sunday because he was having a lot of pain in his back and thought he had another kidney stone. It turns out there's no kidney stone, though, so they are not sure what was causing the pain. He has been on a strong antibiotic because he was still having trouble with infection / not healing completely from his surgery last spring so they thought maybe the pain could be related to a reaction to this antibiotic. He has an appointment to see his doctor on Tuesday. In the meantime, the pain has diminished quite a bit, thankfully. I communicated with Jared by text today and he is doing okay. He says it is quite windy and rainy there...they are getting remnants from Hurricane Ian, of course. I'm guessing that Frank's family in Brevard are also seeing a lot of wind and rain. 

I tried to start exercising again this week but I wasn't very successful. I did exercise as normal on Monday but on Tuesday morning my foot started hurting again and I could tell it hasn't completely healed so I stopped halfway through the time. I guess I need to give it some more time. In the meantime, I decided I am going to try to walk instead of jog...walking doesn't seem to be hurting. I went on a walk yesterday afternoon but haven't been able to do more than that. My foot felt fine on the walk but I felt strangely tired and a little out of breath so I didn't walk far. At least it was a beautiful day and I will finish up with a photo I took of some wild flowers. 

No comments: