Friday, September 23, 2022

Weekly Review September 23 '22

I'll start out with a couple of photos from last week's temple baptism trip. One of the moms who went took the photos and sent them to me later (you can see Frank in the 2nd picture):

 


This week wasn't as busy as last week--mostly because I haven't been feeling very great all week so I have just been doing the necessary stuff. I woke up Saturday morning with a headache, sore throat, and some congestion. I haven't been terribly sick, but I haven't really gotten much better either. Whatever it is has been hanging on all week--some days are better than others.

Seth had two events he could have gone to on Saturday--a stake activity for 14 & 15 year olds at a lake in the morning, and a family history regional broadcast in the evening. He preferred sleeping in to getting up for the lake activity though. I probably would have gone to the fireside that evening and made him come with me, but as I mentioned--I wasn't feeling very well on Saturday. We just got an email with a link to the broadcast today, though, so now we can watch it from home. In spite of not feeling my best, I did get the regular Saturday chores done. Frank and I also watched the BYU football game which wasn't too fun since our team didn't play well at all and BYU lost the game. It was super frustrating to watch. It seems to me that this happens every year...they start the season out with 2 or 3 really great, exciting games that are late at night so we can't watch them (I mean, I guess we could watch them--but we'd have to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to do that and that doesn't seem wise for us to do that when we have church the next day) so we are anxiously awaiting the first afternoon game so we can finally share in the fun and excitement, and then they totally choke!!! I actually read an article this week about BYU football and one of the sections was titled "What Gives With Afternoon Games?" and it mentioned that they seem to play really well in the evenings but not well at all in the afternoons, so it is not just my imagination!! Anyway...hopefully they'll play better this week. It's another late night game, so they probably will!

On Saturday evening we found out that the husband of a friend of ours (she used to be in our ward) passed away suddenly that morning from a heart attack. So sad!! Her first husband divorced her to pursue a homosexual relationship. I was so happy for her when she met her new husband and was able to be married again. It just doesn't seem fair to go through losing a husband twice. After hearing about Jeanette's daughter and her unborn baby being killed in a car accident a few days earlier, it was really shocking to hear of another tragic death a few days later. I feel so sad for everyone who is mourning, and yet grateful that I'm not currently facing that kind of trial.

I decided to stay home from church on Sunday because I still wasn't feeling well. I wasn't extremely sick, but there was no point in going to choir practice because I couldn't sing and I just thought I should keep my germs away from other people. I was able to watch Sacrament Meeting from home, though. We were supposed to have the sister missionaries over for dinner that evening but since I was sick we sent food over to them instead. Hopefully we'll be able to have them over to our house soon. 

I took a Covid test on Monday morning and it was negative (didn't really think I had Covid, but thought I should check before I went anywhere). I've been wearing a mask all week when I've had to go out so that I won't transmit whatever it is to anyone else. I lay low on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and only went places I had to go. Thankfully, I was able to get all the normal housework done in spite of not doing great. 

I didn't go to the YW activity on Tuesday evening, though, because by Tuesday I had developed a cough. I felt like it would just be smarter to stay away from people and also to get some rest. I felt bad about missing the activity, though. Originally we were going to do a photo scavenger hunt in downtown Frederick, but when I was working on it on Saturday evening I noticed that it was already pretty dark and it was only 7:30. Our activities don't start until 7:00 so I started having second thoughts about doing this activity at this time of year--I really want us to have more daylight time if we're going to do it. So I sent a text message to the rest of the leaders asking their opinion and suggesting that if we put off the activity until spring, we could instead attend soccer games for some of the girls in our YW. Everyone liked the idea of attending the soccer games a lot, so that's what we decided to do. One of the girls in my class played in one of the games, so as I said...I was really sorry to miss it. 

I also decided to postpone a visit from one of my ministering sisters that was scheduled for Wednesday night. I was still coughing a lot on Wednesday. I am not coughing as much now, thankfully. Yesterday I had a meeting with the rest of the VITA volunteers--it was held online, so I didn't have to worry about getting anyone else sick. Our program manager retired at the end of last tax season (she's still going to be a volunteer, though) and they are currently in the process of interviewing candidates for that position so they wanted input from the volunteers on what qualities we think that person should have. They also wanted input on which of two possible locations would be better for VITA this year. I think it was a pretty productive meeting and it was fun to see some of my VITA friends again.

Unfortunately, Frank started feeling unwell last night and he feels pretty yucky today. It seems to be the same thing that I have. He did a little bit of work from here, but since he isn't officially approved to work from home yet, he took a sick day. I got Seth to Seminary and to school this morning so that Frank could get some more sleep. Seth had a very short school day today...they got out 3 1/2 hours early for "Fair Day". The Frederick County Fair has been going this whole week and they always give the kids a partial day off for that. Frank got tickets, a parking pass, and ride passes for the fair from one of his clients but I'm not sure we're going to go at all since he and I are both not feeling well. Maybe by tomorrow I will feel well enough to take Seth over for a while. He's not really into carnival rides but he does enjoy seeing the animals. 

Since I have only been doing the necessary stuff this week, I've had quite a bit of time to read. I finished the book chat book (Ribbons of Scarlet) on Monday. I also finished listening to The Pilgrim Hypothesis, and as I expected, it was really good. I've started listening to another book about forgiveness by Neil L. Andersen. I also started reading a children's book series called The Dark Is Rising; I finished the first book, Over Sea, Under Stone, last night. It was pretty good overall. I'm reading this series because the 4th book in the series is a Newbery winner, and the only Newbery winner that I haven't read yet. 

Frank went to the dentist twice this week...on Monday for his bi-annual cleaning and check up and then back on Tuesday so they could close a gap between two of his teeth--food tends to get stuck in that gap. Unfortunately, we found out this week that our dentist is not in network for our new dental insurance (when I called them they told me they were) so these visits are costing us more than they used to. (Cleanings used to be free and now they cost about $75.) We've been going to this dentist for decades and really like him so we don't want to switch but we may have to. We're not too worried about paying a bit for cleanings, but if we need anything major done (like a crown) that could get really expensive. We're hoping that we'll have other dental insurance options when we sign up for next year's benefits, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm hoping that next week I will be able to start exercising again. My foot is finally feeling like it has healed, but I haven't been feeling up to exercising this week. I usually feel worse in the morning than I do later in the day (I usually exercise first thing in the morning). Frank started exercising again this week, but now of course he isn't feeling well so he didn't exercise this morning either. 

Seth is mostly doing well in school but he's having some trouble with his math class. Math is usually his best subject, but his teacher this year is hard to understand (he has an accent) and they don't have a textbook to refer to. They have a short period every day called "Connect" and they can request to meet with a teacher during that time to get help. He's requested to go to Connect with this teacher several times but it hasn't worked out most of the time. A couple of times he didn't get called in even though he sent a request, another time they gave him the wrong room number so he couldn't find where to go, another day they had a mandatory assembly for all the Sophomores during that time, they've had a couple of early release days so that Connect wasn't available (today was one of those days), and at least once he did get to go but there were so many other students there needing help that the teacher never got to him. Frustrating!! He has another request to go in on Tuesday (there's no school on Monday); if it doesn't work out this time I am going to email the teacher. He currently has a C in the class and usually he easily gets an A in his math classes. Fortunately, he is doing great in his Government class. I was worried about this class because English and History / Social Studies classes are usually difficult for him but he currently has 98% in this class. He says it is really interesting too. He is enjoying his computer tech class also and currently has a high B in that class. If we can just get math figured out, things will be good! This week I've been working on getting him set up for dual enrollment at Frederick Community College. He can get college credit for his computer tech class if we sign him up for dual enrollment. We're still in the process but we're making progress. He has to take a test to get accepted to the college and we got the voucher for him to do that yesterday. Now he just has to prepare and set up a time to take the test...he can take the test online, from home. 

I believe that is all the news I have to share this week and it's time to make dinner so I'd better go do that.

No comments: